1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuna Talk

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Sep 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I respect and admire what Tuna has done for this team in taking it from "expansion" to one of the top young talents in the NFL, if not the top.
    However, there are questions.
    Reports come, out of the blue, that he did not want Pat White.
    We have a revolving roster door after final cuts.
    Questions arise, again, at FS, OLB, TE, NT, CB, and OL.

Was there some friction between Tuna and Ireland?
    Did he hand over the team because he thought Ireland was ready?
    Does he want to move on to a new challenge?
    Does he not like our new owner?
    Most importantly to me, Did he complete what he set out to do? I don't think so, and believe it would take one more year.

Your thoughts?

2. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    If I had to guess, I'd say Parcells is slowly distancing himself.

DolfanJake likes this.
  3. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I am sick of everybody singing the praises of the tuna.This guy has not won in any form a superbowl in 20 years. What is the love affair with this guy I don't get it?
    After 3 years we still need to rebuild the offensive line and are secondary still sucks,not to mention the phins will probally be home for january again.

4. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida

Exactly! Lets go back to the Ram-Cam regime, we were so much better with them running the team :no:

5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Parcells is doing what he does with every team he goes too, its not a surprise at all.

The guy has still been at all the practices sitting next to Ireland.

Parcells can't stay still, he is like the cowboy in the black hat that everyone is afraid of when he rides into town, than they find he is really good for the town getting rid of all the low lives, than he puts his white hat on and leaves town.

6. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    There has been some good and some bad. So far, these past two seasons, I'd
    call the whole thing a bit of a "push" thusfar.

We were sold a bill of goods on a three year plan when this group came in, and
    now it's time to pay the piper, so to speak. The commentary on Parcells will come
    at the end of this season. The role he is in now, is functionally the same role he'd
    be in anyway if he hadn't stepped down anyway, so the pieces are in place.

In life, people are judged on their production, or lack thereof. Parcells is no different.
    It's unfair to make the final call on his tenure until the end of this year, or until (if)
    we are mathematicly eliminated from the post season.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Do you know anything at all about football?
    Bill Parcells has turned around 5 franchises (Giants, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys and Dolphins) all of which were considered one of the worst franchises/jokes in the NFL to teams that have been strong EVERY SINGLE YEAR since he took over. The first four teams all still have his signature all over them.
    -Oh, and guess what? Parcells Giants actually won a couple of superbowls.
    -Are we ready to go to the superbowl? absolutely not
    -Are we a team that is 10x more fun to watch and root for then what Wanny left us with, absolutely so.
    -We do not need to rebuild the line. We have 2 studs at LT and RT. an average (hopefully) center and a young RG that has potential to be a rock on our Oline for years.
    -Our secondary has V Davis and Y Bell, so half of them are upper level quality NFL DBs. So that basically makes us like every other team in the league.

that was the worst post I've read in a long time.

8. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I don't know why you bother putting ANY content in your posts. My eyes never leave your avatar anyway :lol:

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  9. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Yeah, you are right. Tuna and Co. have done nothing for our team and it's fans. I much preferred the drafts, FA's signings, and trades of the guys who went before them. Wayne messed up again.

Just curious, how many forms of a Super Bowl do you know about?

Are you also picking on "The Don" for the same reason? I hope not.

10. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Good post, and a fair assessment. I mostly agree. However, as we all know "All The Young Dudes" normally take three years to judge.

IMO, we have a ton of great young talent. How that talent plays out this year, and the next two, will define Tuna.

So far. I likes what I see.

11. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    You rate the performance by FA moves as well, not just drafts. That is what really dings him more than the drafts, IMO.

12. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Not so. Look at Starks, Wake, Bess, Polite, Dansby, Carpenter, and, if you include FA's resigned (which is about the same), Bell, Carey, Crowder, Rickey, and Penny (on both counts).

Granted, there were the busts in Wilford and Wilson, the injuries in Smiley and Grove. I see more good than bad.

13. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    How can Parcells distance himself? He hired Ireland and Sparano.

14. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I didn't say there haven't been good moves in FA; just that you have to weigh that when rating performance - discussion was mostly drafting until that point. There have been some tremendous blunders by our FO in FA. (FI FUM!)

15. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    The sky is falling.

16. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Because there was zero need for that "announcement" the other day. Ireland was already the GM. Either Ireland was not the GM before that, or they're just admitting what we already knew about the FO structure; we knew who really pulled the strings. Either way there was wool-pulling over our collective eyes.

The way I see it, things could have stayed status quo and whatever "change" they made (being it is pretty much only on paper) could have been done at the end of the season.

Much ado about nothing, I feel.

17. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    My avatar, and I still can't stop looking at her. :yes:

18. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I don't hold much water with "three year plan" when any new regime moves into any franchise. It's a ploy for the regime to get power and the resources and independence they need to build a franchise. If we're not in the conference championship this season, I will not lose any faith. (if we're 7-9 again, barring major injuries, then I will)

What I look at is steady improvement. Look at the Cowboys, it's been several years now since Parcells took over there, and every season, their talent base improved and every season their expectations of reaching a superbowl increase a little bit more. If it takes us 5 years to get where we are going and the ride is a fun one to be on, so much the better.

19. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Agree. I see Wilford, Wilson, and now Grove. Smiley played well, and according to Long, was a big help in his becoming what he is.

I also try to look at the laundry list to try to make our team better, and, more importantly, who else was available.

This is something few consider. It's very easy to say this guy and that were busts but, who else would you have signed considering the status of the team. We were far away from a player or two to contend, and took our shots.

This past off season we took the plunge with Dansby, and traded for Marshall. The timing seems about right. We shall see.

20. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Not necessarily talking about clairvoyance as much as money spent with knowledge we already had. Grove is a prime example of that. Dude hadn't stayed healthy but one year in his career, we throw $14M(?) guaranteed at him and are surprised when he's not healthy all year? I also thought we threw too much money at Wilson and Smiley, for that matter.

21. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I'm not talking hindsight, just better options at the time to try and put a good team on the field. I do not recall better choices.

Do you, or anyone, remember players who were better "gambles?"

22. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Given that we don't have the benefit of knowing how other players would have done on our team and in our system, I don't think I could even answer that. :wink2: In Grove's case it wasn't that we signed him, it was the money (in hindsight) that was the problem.

I forgot Green & Wilford as well :lol:

23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Where?!!! :lol: I need to know where to run!

xphinfanx likes this.