1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuesday practice thread: Vets getting rest

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    LOL, dude, you lost me in that translation lmao. I know on hard knocks when they cut that Derek Dennis kid the first day of practice, Ireland plainly told the kid that they had " a chance to sign a veteran player " ( Steinbach ) at his position, which was guard.

I do not believe there isn't a coach in the NFL that will not sign a former player to give him a chance if the coach and GM thinks the kid has a chance to make the roster. In Steinbachs case they probably based that opinion on his past play, relationship with Philbin and brought him in to see what he had. My opinion and its only opinion as I am not a coach, I would not put the guy on the roster as he is clearly only an shadow of what he was.

Lots of cuts from lots of teams in the upcoming weeks. Lots of versatile lineman will be available and to be perfectly honest, Steinbach has not set himself ahead of any backups that are currently on the roster.

2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I don't do twitter either, but you can follow the beat writers on twitter at: http://phins.com/phins-news.php
    They have a twitter scroll on the right that constantly updates.
    You can then copy and paste them here if you like. I have done that before. It almost makes me feel like a real twitter person. :)

smahtaz likes this.
  3. MrClean

BJ seems like the kind of WR who would do better in real action as opposed to the non contact stuff they do in OTAs. He isn't the biggest, quickest, or fastest guy, and needs to get by more on guile and precise routes. IMO, that lends itself better to full contact practices.

I'm glad to see Baker on the 2nd team DL. He's just the kind of guy who quietly does a solid job. He had those two tipped passes in the Bucs game and if you weren't looking closely one may miss them. The Bucs announcers sure didn't give him any props for it. I think Baker is a guy that Don Shula would have liked having on the team when he was coaching.

I don't know why Bess couldn't be a good red zone weapon. He can run all the routes that Welker does in the red zone, and the Pats seem to find ways to utilize Welker in that part of the field. IMO, Bess could do the same.

4. MrClean

I heard a rumor that Tanny is going to start going to the tanning salon a few times a week and taking Canthaxanthin pills, so Omar will like him better. ;)

dolfan22 likes this.
  5. MrClean

IMO, O'Keefe was pretty far down the list of who had input on the draft. I don't believe he'd tell them to draft another WR over his own former player, Marvin McNutt, in the 6th.

Other than that, I agree on who the top 5 WRs are going to be.

6. MrClean

I want the kid from TAMU who was Tanny's security blanket last season, Ryan Swope.

Anonymous likes this.
  7. MrClean

I'd expect nothing less from Jimmy Wilson. You just know that guy has to be all kinds of mentally tough, coming back from adversity the way he did.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I reiterate. When you consider that most people here want to completely ignore personnel moves made at a time when Jeff Ireland was the GM with final say authority written into his contract, because they "can't assume" anything...I find it awful contradictory that suddenly we're just assuming that signing Eric Steinbach was Joe Philbin's idea.

9. MrClean

Good info Paul. I was not aware of that. I'm really glad I brung ya along on this trip. :up:

Paul 13 likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Just because McNutt was coached by O'Keefe doesn't mean O'Keefe actually liked him.

11. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Although I am on the bandwagon that says Ireland basically comes in with a clean slate after Parcells, assuming any move after that is not his, is just plain wrong. Me personally, I assume every move is his call now. Only way I would think different is if it comes straight from their mouths that it was Philbin's idea, or we see it on Hard Knocks. Other then that, it is all Ireland.

rafael likes this.
  12. MrClean

Who is going that? I go by what my own eyes tell me, and the fact that Rizzi was "slurping" Pruitt's ST play means a damned site more than what Omar or any fan thinks of him.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    To be honest, I don't even care what anyone says on Hard Knocks or whose idea it was. There's an entire front office of scouts and personnel people whose hands are all over every prospect graded, drafted, not drafted, signed or not signed. But there's only one man with final say authority and with that authority comes responsibility. Even if a guy is Joe Philbin's idea, even if Philbin plugs his ears and holds his breath until you agree to sign/draft that guy, it's still Jeff Ireland that makes the decision.

14. MrClean

I said that. Rizzi either said "best special teamer" or "best gunner" he ever coached. I do not recall exactly which.
    From watching rewatching kick coverage failures in early 2010, when Wallace was often the outside man, unless he has improved a lot, I do not consider he and Pruitt interchangeable in kick or punt coverage.

15. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Well, this is true....

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I see. Good to know.

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I remember a report in either the 2009 or 2010 preseason talking about Matt Stafford looking great and obviously ready, but the team around him clearly wasn't. I wonder if we're there. Certainly not 0-16 bad, but in need of talent.

18. MrClean

I don't know what you are looking at if you really believe that. Maybe you are just so enamored with Wallace's physical tools that it is wishful thinking.
    I find your analogy of Pruitt being just an Avis guy comparatively speaking to be mildly amusing.

19. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yes, my liege, this was one of those offseason changes that didn't get a lot of publicity. The trade deadline was also pushed back (or is it forward :shifty:) two weeks... from week 6 to week 8.

MrClean likes this.
  20. MrClean

Draft status won't save Gates. They kept Spitler last season over Edds, so no doubt in my mind, if Gates makes it, it will require him to perform better than guys like BJ, Matthews, Marlon and Fuller. Also consider Edds did much better at LB last preseason than Gates has ever done at WR to this point. Being a 4th rounder allowed Gates the benefit of the doubt as a rookie, but now is the time he needs to put on his big boy pants if he is going to make this team, IMO.

21. MrClean

I agree. While Brian is surely doing the physical conditioning his injury allows, I doubt he is running sprints on a bad calf, or else he could practice. He won't be ready to perform at 100% of his ability the instant his calf is healed. He has to then build it up too.

22. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    IMO, this kid is going to be good. The team around him,offense , needs some people that can hold onto the football. Sure Marshal would have been decent. I say only decent because the man dropped a lot of good passes right in his hands. Wanted to strangle him but then two plays later he holds onto a crazy type pass.

Would love a Fitzgerald type but fact is, we do not have one. I honestly like our receivers but they have to make the catches to succeed. Like the Tampa game. we moved the ball. Some ignored it but Bush had some nice runs while he was in there in the beginning. We got stuff once and people blamed the Oline. Fact was Moore called an audible running play right into an all out blitz. That was not the Oline. We moved the ball pretty decent and then Johnson drops a fine pass that was right in his hands.

My concern and many will laugh but Carpenter has been missing field goals since last season, into OTAs, camp and now in games. That concerns me a lot.

23. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    BJ also has very reliable hands.

24. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly
    I'm thinking Josh Samuda makes the 53. That's a good Jeff Ireland, scouting department find.

This years hidden gem.

25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Steve Slaton being with the 1st team is depressing.

26. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Pruitt stated in a press availability yesterday or the day before that one of his goals is to be one of the best special team players in the league. Quite like that he publicly states that and wants to contribute however and wherever he can.

MrClean likes this.
  27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Exactly, the goal is winning long term. That's why you want him to be ready. I could care less if he gives us a better chance of winning against the Texans on Sept. 9th. I want to do what gives us the best chance to have him be our Aaron Rodgers for the next decade. And game experience has plusses and minuses in terms of learning. Throwing guys in too soon can also cause a QB to form bad habits where they rely on their talent instead of understanding how the offense is supposed to function.

Hiruma78 and Fin D like this.
  28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'll give Ireland the benefit of the doubt for many of the moves while Parcells was here, but now he's the top guy so it's on him.

29. MrClean

That was something he was plagued with at TAMU last season too.

30. MrClean

Jonathan Wade may make it as one of the last couple of DBs. I seem to recall he was the other first team gunner on punts along with Pruitt. I think it was #25 anyway.

31. MrClean

Also, just because O'Keefe coached against BJ in the Big Ten does not mean he necessarily liked him either.