1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuesday practice thread: Vets getting rest

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Aug 14, 2012.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One thing to keep in mind is do not be distracted by OmarK slurping Pruitt's ST play, Wallace was also a great ST player last yr until they shelved him with injuries, so in that sense they are the same player in terms of roles on the 53, but with different skillsets.

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Roberto Wallace has a history of being decent on special teams, though he wasn't last year prior to his injury. Sherman called Naanee an "amazing" or "incredible" special teams player, something like that. I believe someone once pointed out that Darren Rizzi referred to Pruitt as the best special teams player he's ever coached.

Truthfully if Brian Hartline gets healthy they may not even keep a 6th receiver, because they already have three that can all play special teams while also doing things on the field on offense. Four if you count Davone Bess as your punt returner.

MrClean likes this.
  3. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    I'm hoping Hartline can start practicing starting next week...get him in the 3rd and most important preseason game.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Classic OMark overreach, they will look at every Wr, Fuller was with the ones to accomplish exactly that..imo

As for Wallace, he was a great STer, at least as good as JPru, but it will really boil down to which skillset they feel will contribute the most during the regular season, do they go with the physical freak or the Avis guy?

5. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

JJ said on Hard Knocks he was around 360 iirc , that can't be right imo.

6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think it was on the preview for this week's Hard Knocks, a coach commenting on Jerry being 360 lbs.

Incidentally, I want to re-emphasize that Stedman Bailey is one to watch next year if he decides to come out. He's Steve Smith re-born.

dolfan22 and djphinfan like this.
  7. vizi0n

Aug 13, 2012
    He finally showed some promise last year in a couple games (especially the blow out game with Oakland). I saw many plays in that game where he was actually pulling to the outside and making some really good blocks. Hopefully he can put the fork down and start pulling his weight as a 2nd round pick.

8. dolfan22

Both Wallace and Pruitt are/can be very good special team players , and Wallace can block as well , not entirely sure if that is a positive for Pruitt , but tend to think so. Room for both if they perform imo.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I wouldn't expect a jump in improvement in Hartline if makes the team, it's obvious he didn't add any size to his frame this offseason and he hasn't been able to work out seriously for two months, I'd expect him to be pretty weak..

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    3rd rounder viz.

11. dolfan22

Third round , and he needs to do push aways ... push away from the table , so far he hasn't shown this is important enough to him imo.

12. vizi0n

Aug 13, 2012
    My mistake on draft round...So weird how all these guys were able to be out of shape and overweight under Fist Pump's supposed strict mentalities...

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is where Clyde Gates is such a liability imo, IF he could handle PR/KR/4th Wr it would make sense to try and develop him, but that just has not happened, in fact he can't smell 1/3 of those duties legitimately.

He is the kind of player the Ravens draft, he plays 3 yrs, then the Yaemon Figures him, in Miami he amounts to a roster roadblock due to draft position.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Has he been able to work out the injured calf? No. Has he been able to work out? Absolutely. He's working out every day and doing all kinds of strength work while everyone else is just out there running.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's even stronger. Injury rehab often does that to you.

CWBIII likes this.
  15. dolfan22

The thing with Gates is that not only is he behind developmentally , but he is older . So if he takes three years as some suggest he will be 28 ( 26 now ) which isn't bad on it's own , but if he doesn't produce or offer on the field positives in the interim I don't see how you can incubate him for that long. Now if he is or becomes a real plus on returns then you consider the roster spot , but he has to get on the field.

Doubt this regime wastes much time with players that haven't performed and don't get healthy.

CWBIII likes this.
  16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And this I agree with, BUT here is the proble:

GM's can get invested in players, Ireland dumped Pat Turner and dumping Gates and JJ would make him look rather incompetent, this is how the league can work, toss in Pat White and he is not exactly covering himself with glory in rds 2-4.

Personally, I believe in "best player wins the slot", remains to be seen if they use that approach and not just pay lip service to it, as right now, it would be almost better to keep Samuda and Thigpen (or Matthews or..) over Gates and John Jerry.

17. dolfan22

I have been critical of Ireland and the drafts this team has made to be sure . IMO that is why we are were we are , too many higher picks have not performed or under performed , now if they keep a player like Gates and he doesn't perform ( again ) then evaluating Ireland after the season , do you feel more positive or less so than if he kept and played a Wallace or Pruitt and they actually showed up and performed? He was a fourth round pick not a second or even a third , which they have parted with after one year.

If they keep him , he has to produce imo .

MrClean likes this.
  18. dolfan22

Omar on the QB's:

OmarKelly There is no longer a noticeable difference between Matt Moore & Ryan Tannehill in practice. That's a Matt Moore problem since he's the vet. 14 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly RT @OldBenz79: just got chills when you said "not if when"» Matt Moore RARELY plays well in practice. Ryan Tannehill has already caught up.

And one from Ben Volin :

BenVolinPBP profile

BenVolinPBP RT @RapSheet: Olympic silver medalist & ex-Florida star Jeff Demps will play football in 2012, per source. Filed paperwork with @NFL 22 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

19. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

But stronger in various other muscles groups won't help once you need to use the calf as part of the chain to perform some task. You'll only be as effective as the weakest link in that chain, obviously. Otherwise guys who benched 300lbs and did quad extensions could run faster on a bad ankle.

The calf will have held back any movement that incorporates it's use significantly. That means acceleration, beating the press, and DEFINITELY cutting.

But, to agree somewhat with your point, it's not like he is simply atrophying and wasting away to nothing on the sideline either.

MrClean likes this.
  20. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The irony in Clyde Gates potentially not making the team is that he was one of very few picks that Ireland made that most of this forum actually liked.

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-two-minute-drill-shows-promise-problems.html

Great recap by Armando. Funny how all Armando has to do is take a little bit of a break from being Armando, and wait for Omar to drive traffic right to his blog like cattle.

So by this account in the 2 minute offense Tannehill marched his team down the field, threw a catchable but a little off placed ball to Marlon Moore which was dropped, then scrambled out and threw a "strike" for a touchdown to Roberto Wallace, which was also dropped.

Could be kind of a glimpse of things to come this year...Ryan Tannehill being a good player but being let down by the skill units.

schmolioot and Stitches like this.
  22. Bpk

We spend a lot of time debating IF they'll keep a 6th wide receiver.

What other unit needs the extra roster spot more than we'd benefit from keeping that sixth receiver? Now that Trusnik and Spitler showed up, I feel fine about LB. Perhaps a DB, DL or OL?

23. Bpk

Ugh.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, especially this yr, there is not the luxury to carry a KR only type who does nothing else well enough.

Love his speed and potential, but we have 3 other guys who can fit that bill as well but they can do more things.

25. dolfan22

IF ( notice the big if ) he is a premier returner , potential to score a couple of times , break multiple 40 plus returns AND shows signs of becoming a contributor as WR then he has a chance ... if not then we have other options , though not as fast that can actually play and provide value in areas other than the return game. He needs to be on the field , practice and game ones , and needs to do that asap imo.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Let's say we did sign a Jeff Demps. My roster would tentatively look as follows:

5 WR: Brian Hartline*, Davone Bess, Julius Pruitt, Roberto Wallace, Legedu Naanee
    8 OL: Jake Long, Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey, Artis Hicks, Jon Martin, Lydon Murtha, Josh Samuda, Andrew McDonald
    3 TE: Anthony Fasano, Charles Clay, Michael Egnew
    6 RB: Reggie Bush, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas, Steve Slaton, Jorvorskie Lane (FB), Jeff Demps
    3 QB: Ryan Tannehill, David Garrard, Matt Moore**
    9 DL: Cameron Wake, Randy Starks, Paul Soliai, Jared Odrick, Derrick Shelby, Kheeston Randall, Olivier Vernon, Jamaal Westerman, Ryan Baker
    7 LB: Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett, Koa Misi, Jason Trusnik, Austin Spitler, Josh Kaddu , ___(waiver claim)___
    9 DB: Sean Smith, Jimmy Wilson, Reshad Jones, Richard Marshall, Vontae Davis, Chris Clemons, Nolan Carroll, Anderson Russell, Quinten Lawrence
    3 ST: Dan Carpenter, Brandon Fields, John Denney

*If Hartline does not make it back soon, would place him on the new half-season Injured Reserve list
    **Would attempt to trade Matt Moore prior to the new Week 8 trade deadline

8 PS: WR Rishard Matthews, WR Jeff Fuller, TE Les Brown, DT Chas Alecxih, LB Cameron Collins, CB Vince Agnew, OT Will Yeatman, QB Pat Devlin
    1 PUP: RB Jonas Gray
    1 IR: FS Kelcie McCray

Notable Cuts
    -FS Tyrone Culver is making close to a million dollars and I think he doesn't have the range for the position
    -DT Tony McDaniel is making close to $3 million and I don't think he is much better than his younger competition
    -CB Jonathan Wade has been in the league a while, has a great attitude, but is still too inconsistent
    -TE Jeron Mastrud as one-dimensional blocker that just doesn't have much place in this offense
    -OG Nate Garner is not suited to this blocking style and makes over $1 million a year
    -OC Ryan Cook is not suited to this blocking style and makes over $1 million a year
    -OG John Jerry cannot control his weight and does not fit the system
    -WR Clyde Gates is 26 years old and has not been able to stay healthy, but I would keep his number on speed dial
    -RB Jerome Messam (thus far) has not stood out nearly as much as hoped
    -WR B.J. Cunningham also has come on too little, too late, and doesn't present STs/Return value
    -OG Eric Steinbach has been disappointing, doesn't look as quick as in 2010 and may in fact be done in the NFL
    -LB Gary Guyton has reportedly played poorly in practice and followed up with an awful preseason game

MrClean likes this.
  27. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Been to practices, the scrimmage and the game Friday night and IMO, Steinbach is pretty much past his prime. He is slow, stiff and like I said, IMO, past his prime. Good backup ? probably but the only position he can play is LG. If they activate this guy on game day we will either have to dress 9 Oline, Steinbach, LG, a tackle and someone that can playe LG RG and C. They may dress 8 but will have to use one on special teams for the 9th. In practice they have been using Steinbach, Jerry and two other Oline for kick off returns.

Ludacris likes this.
  28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree, being injured and clueless is no real way to make our roster.

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    What would you take for MMoore?

30. Bpk

My reactions to your roster....

5 WR: Brian Hartline*, Davone Bess, Julius Pruitt, Roberto Wallace, Legedu Naanee
    - I'd expect them to keep Cunningham too. With CJ gone and Hartline's health a question mark, Bess may be needed out wide more often. Cunningham can take snaps at slot to make up for it.

8 OL: Jake Long, Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey, Artis Hicks, Jon Martin, Lydon Murtha, Josh Samuda, Andrew McDonald
    - Don't know much about McD. What makes him worth keeping over other guys?

3 TE: Anthony Fasano, Charles Clay, Michael Egnew
    - This isn't a dominant bunch for goalline blocking. But you're probably right, it's the best scenario with the talent we have. So we pass a bit more.

6 RB: Reggie Bush, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas, Steve Slaton, Jorvorskie Lane (FB), Jeff Demps
    - Cannot see Slaton, DT and Demps. I'd expect Slaton to leave, despite being a seasoned zone-runner. Lane makes it just because he's an interesting dimension at FB and this staff seems to love that.

3 QB: Ryan Tannehill, David Garrard, Matt Moore**
    - No way we keep Tannehill.

9 DL: Cameron Wake, Randy Starks, Paul Soliai, Jared Odrick, Derrick Shelby, Kheeston Randall, Olivier Vernon, Jamaal Westerman, Ryan Baker
    - I feel Westerman/Shelby are an either/or proposition with Shelby ahead. Randall is ****ing great. Baker is the versatile vet you need. Vernon lots of upside.

7 LB: Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett, Koa Misi, Jason Trusnik, Austin Spitler, Josh Kaddu , ___(waiver claim)___
    - Something definitely happens with this group. I wouldn;t even be surprised to see a trade somewhere here. Move one of our RBs for an LB.

9 DB: Sean Smith, Jimmy Wilson, Reshad Jones, Richard Marshall, Vontae Davis, Chris Clemons, Nolan Carroll, Anderson Russell, Quinten Lawrence
    - Don't know a thing about Russell or Lawrence. hope Nolan Carroll is imporving. We haven't mentioned him much, but Sean Smith's groin-tweak reminds us that Nolan's an injury away from being out there a LOT.

3 ST: Dan Carpenter, Brandon Fields, John Denney

*If Hartline does not make it back soon, would place him on the new half-season Injured Reserve list
    - This is what I excpect. Given the new offense, and him missing most of camp now it makes more sense.

**Would attempt to trade Matt Moore prior to the new Week 8 trade deadline
    - Only if Garrard is back, healthy AND performing at a starter's level, imo.

8 PS: WR Rishard Matthews, WR Jeff Fuller, TE Les Brown, DT Chas Alecxih, LB Cameron Collins, CB Vince Agnew, OT Will Yeatman, QB Pat Devlin
    - Looks good. No one is signing them to the 53. Disappointed in Fuller, but next year could be his year for us, once Tanny is ready too.

1 PUP: RB Jonas Gray
    1 IR: FS Kelcie McCray

Notable Cuts
    -FS Tyrone Culver is making close to a million dollars and I think he doesn't have the range for the position
    -DT Tony McDaniel is making close to $3 million and I don't think he is much better than his younger competition - No one else provides his versatility, though.
    -CB Jonathan Wade has been in the league a while, has a great attitude, but is still too inconsistent
    -TE Jeron Mastrud as one-dimensional blocker that just doesn't have much place in this offense
    -OG Nate Garner is not suited to this blocking style and makes over $1 million a year
    -OC Ryan Cook is not suited to this blocking style and makes over $1 million a year
    -OG John Jerry cannot control his weight and does not fit the system
    -WR Clyde Gates is 26 years old and has not been able to stay healthy, but I would keep his number on speed dial - Unless he has a great pre-season game.
    -RB Jerome Messam (thus far) has not stood out nearly as much as hoped
    -WR B.J. Cunningham also has come on too little, too late, and doesn't present STs/Return value - True re: special teams, but I think his slot value is good.
    -OG Eric Steinbach has been disappointing, doesn't look as quick as in 2010 and may in fact be done in the NFL
    -LB Gary Guyton has reportedly played poorly in practice and followed up with an awful preseason game - Hope, but it depends who else they can pick up and how Trusnik, Spitler look versus 1's/

31. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Gates is the only guy on the team who can stretch the field vertically, we almost have to keep him IMO.

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Just about anything offered, so long as David Garrard is healthy and Pat Devlin hasn't been poached off my practice squad.

Fin D likes this.
  33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Hey I'm with you on that, I like Gates, always have. I appreciate what his speed brings to the table. But if he can't stay healthy he does you no good. He wasn't healthy last year, he's not healthy this year, and he can't stay healthy enough to actually get better.

Different story if he returns to health, plays in preseason games, and starts showing what I saw in Week 17 last year. But if not...

Believe it or not Julius Pruitt runs a 4.40 at 6'2" and 206 lbs, Legedu Naanee runs a 4.41 at 6'2" and 226 lbs, and Roberto Wallace runs a 4.48 at 6'4" and 223 lbs. Our tight end Michael Egnew runs a 4.48 at 6'5" and 252 lbs. Lamar Miller runs in the 4.3's at 5'11" and 212 lbs. Reggie Bush also runs in the 4.3's.

If we need to stretch the field vertically I think we might be able to do that one way or another...

MrClean and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I severely doubt that.

Athleticism and lack of better choices.

See Philbin's offenses in Green Bay. They didn't ask their tight ends to be like extra OLs. If you want extra OLs, you have extra OLs. Just put them on the field. Everyone's doing that much more often nowadays anyway. Lydon Murtha highly athletic, you could even release him as a TE if you want.

Right now Steve Slaton is our most successful short yardage back. Yes, that should scare you. They've given Slaton 1st team snaps for a reason.

You keep the players worth keeping. Shelby is worth keeping. Westerman is worth keeping. All of the above are worth keeping.

Yes he is. Thankfully Smith's injury sounds very minor, came back and practiced on it. Jonathan Wade vs Quinten Lawrence is the big question here at CB. Tyrone Culver vs Anderson Russell the big question at S. I would lean toward Lawrence and Russell on potential...but Dolphins may trust Wade and Culver more.

Bottom line is I just don't think he's that good. He's overpaid. And besides, Ryan Baker is Mr. Versatility.

I've not seen it reported once that Cunningham has even lined up in the slot. I didn't see him line up there once against Tampa. Could be wrong.

Guyton is just not a good football player. I don't see why anyone would be in a hurry to keep him.

MrClean likes this.
  35. Bpk

True, but they are 'prove it' players. As in, defenses won't automatically drop the safeties or give up a big cushion until those guys show that they can beat people deep consistently and are dangerous.

Clyde Gates has such speed it automatically creates fear and respect.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    But he had that appendectomy?

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    really don't know how you sign that guy in the first place...yes I do, it's called a bone, and Ireland gave his coach one. Which is why coaches coach, and Gm's GM.

38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Considering everyone loves to play the game of "let's not blame Ireland for any personnel moves that happened while he had final say authority on personnel issues in his contract because we don't want to assume anything"...people are kind of quick to start assuming that certain players were signed at the behest of the guy who has no authority over personnel.

39. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

One of the coaches was saying something to him about his weight on Hard Knocks last week. To me, he looks like a beached whale. If they cut the fat bastard, I sure won't cry.