1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troy Smith vs the Skins; Box Score doesnt tell you the truth.

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by BuckeyeKing, Aug 14, 2009.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I just watched all of Troy Smith vs the Redskins and fail to understand why this guy isnt starting.

The Box score says he went 14-30 which by looking at that is pretty bad but thats where it doesnt include that His wideouts dropped a total of 6 passes all catchable potentially 7 but grazed the defenders shoulder pad. Now if al those 2nd String WR could catch he is 20 for 30 240+.

He had great Pocket awareness escaped numerous times never took a sack. He is better than Flacco for sure I want to see what Smith can do with actual starters because Smith was very impressive last night.

I want to point out though that Figurs catch was indeed not a catch.

Call me bias if you want but I'm a fan of Smith and from what I saw he is better than alot of the starting QB's in the NFL.

steveincolorado likes this.
  2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Okay, you are biased. :tongue2:

3. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    because flacco is better.

4. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Troy Smith?

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

< smartass reply > deductive logic says that troy smith is the backup quarterback for the baltimore ravens. < / smartass reply >

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Flacco isnt very good at all when you watch him play really. I agree that Troy is better and I hate Ohio State so I have no bias.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  7. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    excuse me, I need to assk you a question.

Ace Ventura, Pet Detective:shifty:

8. anlgp

do you have a mint? maybe some binaca?

man i'm tired of being right

i have exorcised the demons! this house.. is clear.

9. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I actually have that movie on tape:no:

10. anlgp

dude i've seen that movie about 3,000 times...

i'm in psychoville and finkle's the mayor!

11. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I think we killed this thread, sorry Mr. Buckeye.

12. anlgp

good night dark continent! :lol:

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think that's a pretty harsh statement considering he came out of a lower level college and did what was asked of him from week one. He's not great but I think he's going to be pretty good in this league. He got better last year as the games went by.

I like Troy Smith as well but I wonder how he does week in and week out over a sixteen game season. Also, I didn't catch the game so maybe you can answer this for me; did he play with second string offense v. second string defense?

14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm just really unimpressed with his accuracy. It seems like all he can do is hit the occasional deep ball, he's very shakey on the short to intermediate stuff. I just wasnt impressed with what I saw.

I think he can be an above average starter, but maybe not a franchise QB.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I felt he improved over the season with his short accuracy. The biggest issue that I had with him was that he held on to the ball too long.

Alex44 likes this.
  16. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm sure he did improve and will only keep getting better as he matures. I just dont think he was as impressive as some would lead you to believe. If he had just an average defense to work with theres no way they sniff the playoffs. I think you could have plugged a LOT of different QB's into the same situation and gotten his results. I guess thats my point. Not that he's bad, but I think Smith could have done the same job or possibly better.

17. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Yes he played with second string offense and defense. He had WR/TE dropping very catchable passes so what I'm saying I want to see him with the starting group.

Also when he came in against us 2 years ago my god I'm glad Bilick decided to kick the FG instead of winning the game because Troy Smith drove right down the field on us and we had our backs against the wall no way we stop the Ravens on the 1.

In the game he did everything right, his check down passes were money he threw the ball away when no one was there and eluded defenders.

If Troy Smith doesn't get Tonsillitis he is the starter just horrible timing last year to get it.

dolfan32323, Alex44 and alen1 like this.
  18. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I've just watched this game twice and my first thought was why aren't they using Smith in some sort of WC formation. He is a great Vick type of player but as the HC stated he wants to see Troy put it in the endzone. It seems as if he has Red zone problems as does Flacco IMHO. Troy was in for over 1/2of the game yet only had one drive ending in a TD, while true he had dropped balls, so did Flacco and Beck so he gets no pass on that in my book. The Raven's WR core isn't even close to being the best on the block, JMO.:yes:

BTW for those of us who like Beck, he was 5 of 9 109 yards and a running TD which BTW started on the Skins 10 yard line. 1 sack, 1 batted pass at the line, one over throw, one one hopper and two dropped passes. He was only in for 3 series right at the end of the third quarter and the begining of the fourth. After his TD drive they put Smith back in to finish the game out and Troy drove them down where they stalled at the 21 and then missed a chip shot.

The Skins offense did not look good!

alen1 and Alex44 like this.