1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tribute

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by HolliFinFan, Dec 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. HolliFinFan

HolliFinFan Not a Face Painter Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    Dr. Mac was my spiritual advisor during my confirmation and teen years. No comments are requested, just a reading of this remarkable man and his life is my reason for posting. I know where you are now, Doc. Thank you for helping to form me into the person I am today. Love, Lisa

Harold Harper McConnell Jr.

January 5, 1921 – December 14, 2009

Harold Harper (Mac) McConnell Jr. died Monday, December 14, 2009.

He was born January 5, 1921, in St. Louis, Mo., a son and grandson of Presbyterian ministers.

Mr. McConnell attended Edgewood High School in Pittsburgh, Monmouth College and Pittsburgh-Xenia Theological Seminary. He later received, alongside his twin brother, Jim, an honorary doctor of divinity from Monmouth College.

He was ordained to the ministry in 1945 and served Presbyterian congregations in Blairsville; Wilmington, Del.; New Castle; St. Clair Shores, Mich.; Washington; Pittsburgh; Madison, Wis.; Philadelphia; Canonsburg; Bethel Park; New Bern, N.C.; and Pollocksville, N.C.

Mr. McConnell served in the U.S. Navy as a chaplain in World War II and the U.S. Army in Ulm, Germany during the Korean War. He retired as colonel from the Pennsylvania Army National Guard after 35 years of duty.

He was married to Susan Campbell of Washington, for 42 years and to Sara Higgon of New Bern, for 20 years.

Along with his wife, Sally, surviving are four sons, Harold H. McConnell III (Sandra) of Sparta, Mich., Robert C. McConnell (Jennifer) of Manhattan, Kan., James J. McConnell of Polk and Stephen D. McConnell (Amanda) of Sarasota, Fla.; three stepsons, Abraham L. Key (Susan) of Washington, Andrew H. Key (Jeanmarie) of Tijeras, N.M., and David B. Key (Karen) of Land O’ Lakes, Fla.; 14 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Harold, Robert and Stephen McConnell followed their father into the Presbyterian ministry.

A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, December 19, in First Presbyterian Church of New Bern, with the Rev. William Hawkins officiating. In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be sent to Alzheimer’s Association, 225 North Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60601 (www.alz.org); First Presbyterian Church Foundation, P.O. Box 1075, New Bern, NC 28563; or a charity of one’s choice. Those wishing to offer condolences may do so online at www.pollockbest.com. Arrangements are by Pollock~Best Funerals & Cremations.

DPlus47, dolphindebby, Boik14 and 2 others like this.