1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Training Camp: Who is hot, who is not?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Aug 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    This is my attempt to take everything I've read over the last five days and incorporate it into a who's hot who's not list. I'm going to list 10 guys on each side of the spectrum. Of course, keep in mind that this is based on the reports of the media guys and also Sparano's press conferences. Some guys we just haven't heard from who won't make either list, doesn't mean they are struggling. What it does mean is that if these guys are at the bottom of the depth chart (Joe Cohen and Ethan Kilmer for example), we need to hear from them sooner or there won't be a later.

Who is HOT!?:yes:

- Patrick Turner, WR: A recipient of a ton of praise from the media to the coaching staff. Sparano likes what he sees but he is tempering his enthusiasm by saying Turner still has a ways to go. Fluid for a big man, able to drop in his cuts and create separation, I have to say the front office is very happy with what they've seen. I think it's much more important for our young wide receivers to excel early than it is for our young cornerbacks. Think of what Bess did last year in TC. He was the talk of the group. He was the only one that was consistent and it carried thru to the regular season. You want the corners to struggle and LEARN from their mistakes. You'd much rather have them struggle now than in the regular season. Not to say that Sean Smith and Vontae Davis are struggling. But they are behind the receivers for now.... As they work on their technique, they are still trying to learn zone vs man coverage. Sparano said one struggles in man while the other struggles in zone. It's not there yet, but it's way too early to get remotely worried.

- Ted Ginn Jr, WR: Teddy has been solid. Getting deep, setting the tone in drills by being the first in line. Doing the things that the leader of the receiving corps does. I am anxious to see him this season.
    - Brian Hartline, WR: Hartline has really poured it on the last couple of days. He's making leaping catches over Sean Smith. He's beating guys who he should beat deep. He's got great hands and he's so smart. When he was drafted back in April, everyone jumped on the selection by pairs theory where you draft two guys at the same position in the same draft thinking you know you're going to hit on one. Well, go back to last year with Merling/Langford Thomas/Murphy and then this year with Smith/Davis and Turner and Hartline... all of these pairs so far have resulted in 100% success... yes it's early... but can't be more thrilled with how this has developed.

- Shawn Murphy, G: He's been elevated to the starting RG and Sparano has said it's his job to lose. Then the following day he's relegated to second team as THE Donald Thomas returns to practice and feasts on the third team prey. But today Murphy was back with the first team. That's a huge development. He's worked his tail off to get to this point. He's dedicated to put last year behind him. He's come back in the correct physical mold that the staff want him in. Even if Thomas returns to the starting lineup, you have to feel a little better about the guard depth we have should anything happen to Smiley or Thomas this year, a far cry from what occurred last season.

- Will Allen, CB: Mr. Consistent in the secondary. Playing with that new contract. He's the leader of the cornerbacks as the youngsters look to soak up everything he's displaying. He's had a fine start to training camp and looks to improve on what was a very solid 2008 season.

- Chad Henne, QB: Robot? Eh, whatever he looks like, it's working. Most of the deep passes that I've read about have been from #7. Is he handling the huddle as a starter should? That's what the preseason is going to be about. If you can only choose one player you should watch this preseason, it has to be Henne. He's the future of the team at the position. And with the odds that a healthy Pennington starting 16 games in two consecutive seasons slim, he needs to be ready.

- Anthony Fasano, TE: The number one tight end on the team. He's flashed the skills. He's a solid blocker. He's had a solid camp so far as compared to the other tight ends who have been nearly invisible.

- Paul Soliai, DL: He's been stepping in as the first team NT with Ferguson getting some rest in these two a days, and he's served notice. I really hope this is a breakout year for Paul because we all know we need some depth at the position. He came into camp under his weight max. Great start to the season as he was in the doghouse last year due to his weight issues.

- Jason Taylor, OLB: In Matt Roth's absence, JT has filled in well. Coach has repeatedly said that he loves where JT is and what he brings to the leadership of the team. That doesn't sound like the JT from a couple of years ago who supposedly became a cancer in the lockerroom. I'd rather mark that down to a veteran who just wanted to win and knew that particular coaching staff wasn't going to last. Whatever it was, he's back and he's a big part of the team. Now, as far as staying on the strong side for an extended period of time, particularly on first and second down, that makes me a little uneasy. So lets all pray for Matt Roth's groin... and hope he can come back to full speed for week one.

- Lionel Dotson, DL: Don't count him out. Behind Fergie at NT, you have Soliai and then you have Dotson... that's a varying one two punch if there ever was one. I liked what I saw from Lionel last year when both Fergie and Soliai were out. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective. Tack on a year in the offseason program and LD is looking very likely to make this team and play in the DL rotation.

Who is not?? :no:

- Will Billingsley, CB - he's seemingly been burned more than any other corner on the team so far. In his defense, he has made a couple of plays... but they have been few and far between.

- Pat White, QB - This doesn't mean much as you'd expect him to struggle early on. The staff is throwing everything they can at him to get him ready as the third qb for week one. He's only one injury away from being THE backup afterall.

- Eric Green, CB - Penciled in as the starter opposite Will Allen, he has not had a good camp thus far. Is he this year's version of Ernest Wilford? He's counting $2.8m towards the cap.

- Ike Ndukwe, OL - with all the rotation that has gone on at the starting RG spot, the starter from last season hasn't had a sniff. Now, I remind myself that he filled in at LT last season, while Jake was dinged for a quarter or so. And he wasn't aweful considering. But with Murphy, Gardner and Garner emerging and Berger being Mr. Cross Trainer, one has to wonder if Ike will be on the outside looking in come cutdown time.

- Tearrius George, OLB - He's had some opportunity to make an impact at OLB with Roth being out. He's reportedly struggled with blown assignments in pass coverages.

- Jason Allen, CB - Oh what can I say about JA that hasn't already been said. He's been ahead of Green and Billingsley but IMO is behind Jones and Thomas... and with Smith, Davis, W Allen as locks, it just might be finally over for the former number one pick.

- Matt Roth, OLB - How can he not be on this list? Afterall, his groin was iced down today after minimal work. But we pray for you Matt to get better soon!

- Dan Carpenter, K - He missed one yesterday... and he's a kicker... it's a tough room!

- Chris Brown, FB - obviously... he was cut today...

- SirVincent Rogers, OT - He decided he had enough of trying to block Cameron Wake. He walked out on the team. Cold... very cold!

There you have it... here's to hoping the guys on the hot list keep it up, and the guys on the not list turn it around.

Vengeful Odin, Agua, YBFM and 12 others like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Great list!

I'd add

Hot Tony McDaniel he has been elevated over Phil Merling

Not..JD Folsom he appears to be in way over his head

Coming on: Erik Walden

Disappearing: Q Moses

Invisible: Charlie Anderson

Paul 13 likes this.
  3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good list, good post. Padre is right on the money, haven't heard a word about Charlie Anderson. I read somewhere Moses had a sack and a tipped pass and/or pick the other day and then dissapeared today. His roller coaster is probably coming to an end before we get the "right 53".

Paul 13 likes this.
  4. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Nice. I would add Wake, Davis, and Porter to the HOT list and elevate Anthony Armstrong to the NOT list.

Paul 13 likes this.
  5. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    I actually like what i've seen from Armstrong. I wouldn't count him out just yet. He may surprise.

6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I thought about McDaniel. True he has been elevated to first team but he still has a ways to go. Coach likes his strength and that may serve him well on first and second downs, but does he have the moves to get to the quarterback that Merling does. I think this may be more about lighting a fire under Merling than it is about rewarding McDaniel.

Until Charlie Anderson loses his position on special teams, I think he is safe.

7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Armstrong is definitely in the mix as that sixth WR vs London, but can he contribute on ST's? That will decide if he stays on the 53 or not. London is one of our better ST players.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Personally, I wouldn't buy into the promoting and demoting of players when it comes to reps in training camp. I think what they're doing is seeing what they've got in their players and some more than others. There was a rep count done in one of these threads and I believe two of the highest ones were back ups. I want to say Joe Berger was one of them with like 102 but I can't remember off the top of my head. They acquired Tony McDaniel for a late round pick and basically want to see what they have in him and you're not going to see that if you keep playing him with the third unit. They put him up with the first unit so when game day comes around, they can look back on how he did against starting material and if he was successful, they would feel comfortable with him playing against top level competition on Sunday's.

Vengeful Odin and jetssuck like this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I didn't think this was a long term proposition?

And first team reps are first team reps, maybe McDaniel shows he can do something with the chance?

10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    you are right, for a guy that started off as being on the bubble, repping with the first team is a great opportunity.

padre31 likes this.
  11. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    great thread paul. keep it going for the rest of pre season lol maybe like a post a week?? No?? fine I hate you too.

Paul 13 likes this.
  12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    mmmmm I'll see what I can do... :shifty:

unluckyluciano likes this.
  13. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Vincent walked out?
    Details?

14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    haven't seen any details other than he just flat out quit on the team, it was in Sparano's presser and one line reports by the local media guys.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Wow, so he just walked out? Not even a good bye?
    Great list, BTW. To the hot list, I think Ronnie Brown could be added just because he looks great. He is really in shape.

Paul 13 likes this.
  16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Someone posted the two highest rep counts were Andrew Gardner with 106 and Mark Lewis with 102. Both rookies.

Totally agree with the gist of your post though.

alen1 likes this.
  17. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    which moves are you talking about ? how many sacks did merling have last year ? 1 to mcdaniels .5

18. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    very nice job paul 13. i agree with most of that except for the wr talk.i think it's more impairative that our cornerbacks do well out the gates than our recievers.considering you have 3 corners on the not hot list. other than our two rookies we have billingsly and maybe one other corner so we really need either davis or smith to be able to play well and get that #2 and #3 spot. if we go into the season with will allen,j.allen,and eric green as starters then we may be in some trouble devensively.

Paul 13 likes this.
  19. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Winners never quit and quitters never win.

"The NFL apparently isn't for offensive tackle SirVincent Rogers, who decided he had had enough of football when he left the team Thursday. No word on why. "

20. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i think it's more about having quality depth at the position. if merling or langford go down then we arent starting a udfa or someone with very little exp.

21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You forgot to mention Sean Smith, he kept up with Ginn step for step according to an earlier report, and if a guy that size is as fast as Ginn then he could potentially take on Moss.

Hiting 8 of 9 is a bad thing?

22. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Excellent thread Paul. It gets 5 stars from me once I am off the mobile and back on my computer.

I will re-iterate once again.
    To this point, I still hate the Ginn pick.
    If he can continue this turn-around during the regular season, I will first in line for Humble Pie (You listening Mat?)

Frumundah Finnatic and Paul 13 like this.
  23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    well, it's more than just stats, Merling has always been light on his feet, the staff thinks he has the best feet out of all the DL. Plus, last year he was on the nickel rotation.

24. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Don't forget Joey Thomas and Nate Jones, both were here last year and got plenty of reps in nickel and dime situations. They have both had fairly decent camps so far... certainly better than the three on the not list.

m ino likes this.
  25. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    It was mostly sarcasm...:wink2:

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  26. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    yea i thought i was forgetting a couple corners we had. i read somewhere nate was having a good camp. while they did fill in on those situations that was last year and our dbacks werent very solid(last yr.)..all they could muster was nickel and dime on a poor corner set. i wouldn't be upset if they continued to stay at the positions this year as that would mean our rooks are doing well enough to start ahead of them.

27. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I have a feeling we may be suprisngly deep at some positions, if Shawn Murphy is at worse a good backup G then I'm not too worried about our OL depth.