1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Training Camp Preview Part 3: Wide Receivers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Miami Dolphin Nation, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Miami Dolphin Nation

Miami Dolphin Nation New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    The fifth part in Miami Dolphin Nation's training camp preview takes a look at the most scrutinized position on the Dolphins offense. The main reason is because the unit did not have a so called go to guy who put up big time stats and as a whole Dolphin wide-outs only produced five touchdowns.

Twenty-two players had more receiving TD's than Miami's entire group. However, the Dolphins still had productivity in the category with the tight ends having 11 TD's and got 4 from the backs, so it is not like Miami's passing game was deficient at all. Miami had more of a spread it around offense as Pennington got the tight ends and backs involved heavily in the passing game, however there was really only three receivers that produced much at all: Ted Ginn Jr., Greg Camarillo, and Davone Bess.

So, it is said that the unit did not have a true number one, and they probably don't, but even if they did have a guy like a T.O. or Andre Johnson it is unlikely he would put up great numbers in this offense. So, the guys the Dolphins already have may be much more talented than the media portrays. However, it was very clear that the Dolphins seriously lacked depth. When Greg Camarillo went down with the torn ACL, Miami's passing game took a serious hit and Ted Ginn Jr. and Davone Bess where the only guys producing.

Really without another quality guy the Dolphins had to line up players like Patrick Cobbs in the receiver slots. In the draft, they added Patrick Turner and Brian Hartline, guys who aren't expected to ever be big time stars in this league. There really weren't any big time guys left when Miami was on the clock, but they might have got just what this offense needs; depth to the position now with possibly five guys who can come in and make an impact.

Projected Depth Chart

1. Ted Ginn Jr.: He finally got some of those critics off his back as he finally was able to produce some, after a dismal rookie season. While, he is still considered a bust by a good portion of the media, Ginn led the Dolphins in receiving yardage with a very respectable 790 yards and even contributed in the running game rushing for 2 TD's off of reverses. These are still modest numbers for a number one in this league, but again on this spread it around offense I think it is very encouraging for the once very disappointing draft choice. Teddy is still very young, but we are starting to see glimpses of what he is capable of and I think will eventually develop into a guy who will go for 1,000 yard seasons in the Chad Henne era.

2. Davone Bess: His resume at Hawaii was unbelievable. Davone set school and WAC records and was the primary target in one of the most prolific passing attacks in college football history. However, going into last years draft his game was not supposed to translate into the NFL. He ran a very disappointing 4.6 40 yard dash time at the combine and scouts were thinking he was just a product of the Hawaii system. Davone went undrafted, but was given a chance by Miami and his game translated quite nicely in the pros. Bess ended up third in receiving yards with 554 despite only starting six games. Bess may be undersized and run a slow 40, but he is a guy who gets the most out of everything he has and just knows how to play the game and is true football player.

3. Greg Camarillo: He would most likely be ahead of Bess of it was not for him tearing his ACL. You just don't know how he will come back from that especially since the injury happened kind of late into the season. Camarillo was leading this team in yardage when he went down and if he is 100% by the start of the season would challenge Ginn for number one reps. Greg is another guy who went undrafted, but he is just going to work harder than the next guy. However, if he is not the same after the injury expect the rookies to come in and get some more opportunities and possibly bury him on the depth chart.

4. Patrick Turner: Many of the experts did not like this pick when the Dolphins made Turner their 4th round selection. However, the case for Turner is this; there was not a can't miss guy left on the board when Miami picked so they went with the guy who would suit this offense the best. The Dolphins desperately needed a red zone target with only 5 TD's from the wide-outs, so the best fit was the 6'5 Turner who is just that. Being the huge target he is Turner accounted for 10 TD's last season for USC.

5. Brian Hartline: Put up very mediocre numbers in his last season in college, but that might have a lot to do with the Buckeyes quarterback Terrelle Pryor being more of a running quarterback. Hartline put up much better numbers his junior season and if would have came out early probably would have went higher in the draft.

6. Brandon London: Started one game during the regular season and was used sparingly throughout the year. Did not produce much during the season, but had a solid performance in the Wild Card game vs. the Ravens with 4 catches than 38 yards.

7. Anthony Armstrong: Spent last season on the Dolphins practice squad and also spent time in the Arena Football League since graduating West Texas A&M in 2006. Is said to of had a great off-season though and could really challenge Brandon London for the last receiver spot.

8. Brennan Marion: Is an undrafed rookie free agent out of Tulsa. Put up great numbers at Tulsa with back to back 1,000 yard seasons including an incredible 31.9 yards a catch his junior year.

9. Chris Williams: Another undrafted rookie free agent. Williams played his college ball at New Mexico State and has the potential to be the second fastest WR in Dolphins camp with a 40 yard dash time of a mid 4.3. Williams was a great kick returner in college and might have to impress in that category to make this roster.

Position Battles: There really is no exact battle between two players, but this might be the most competitive position in this years camp. There is no telling the way this might shake up. Greg Camarillo could end up anywhere from one to five, and Bess, Turner, and Hartline could end up anywhere from two to five. The only person that should really feel safe as a starter would be Ted Ginn who will either be a one or two. The competition should get the most out of this group, with there really not being a whole lot of it on last seasons unit.

Roster Spot Battles: The number one through five guys are going to make this team. The three established veterans from last year are a lock and so are the two new drafted rookies. However, Brandon London, Brennan Marion, Chris Williams, and Anthony Armstrong will all compete for the final roster spot. Like a lot of positions the winner of this battle will have a lot to do with who contributes more on special teams. London had a solid contribution on special teams last season and probably has the edge on Armstrong, but there is just no way of telling how the rookies will fare.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nice, and FWIW, I always liked the Pat Turner pick.

3. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Nice Post! Brother Ginn should not feel safe at all. He still needs to show that he deserves to be a number 1 wide receiver. Cammy needs to get healthy, and get on the field as soon as he can. Armstrong is pushing London as well. I think there are no givens in this WR corps, they need to be earned.:wink2:

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'll tell ya would i like about our wide receivers...their all true miami dolphins learning a new complex offense from scratch...together, complimenting one another.

5. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Flip Armstrong and London.
    And even tho I was a huge London supporter, I heard nothing but good things about Armstrong, while nothing about London.

anlgp likes this.
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    The most competetive unit on our roster right now. My predictions are: Ginn, Bess, Camarillo, Turner, Hartline, and London. But we'll see.

7. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    in order: Ginn, Bess, Camarillo, Turner, London, Marion, Hartline ....
    speed: Ginn, Marion (not sure if Marion will be healthy, which is Armstrongs main chance)
    quick: Bess, Camarillo, Hartline (will only keep 2 of these, this gives Armstrong a secondary chance against Camarillo's health and Hartlines inexperience)
    size: Turner, London (London needs a good camp)

8. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Like FFIC I don't know that I would say Ginn's spot on this team should be considered a foregone conclusion. IMO out of all of them Bess is the safest. I would have said Camarillo, too; but as was mentioned - there's no guarantee he'll be the same after that injury. I hope he is; because I like the guy. After all he's the guy who kept us from 0-16.
    Training camp and preseason is going to determine who stays and who goes.
    We've got some speedy guys in Ginn, Marion and Armstrong, but they've got to show the coaches that they can make good use of their speed.
    WRs and CBs are going to be the big battles, followed by DL.
    I'm just relieved that QB and OL aren't included.

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

2008 was Hartline's junior season. He did declare early when he made himself eligible for the 2009 draft.

10. MrClean

IMO, Hartline is not a lock, merely by being a 4th rounder and over the years, we very seldom keep more than 5 WRs when we make the cut down to 53 at the end of preseason. The 4th and 5th WRs better be top special teamers and even if we went against the grain and kept 6, the 6th man and sometimes the 5th would not be active on game day barring injuries to the top 4.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, we keep 5 wr active on game day, and the two who aren't starting have to play Special Teams well.

So Ginn, Bess, Greg C and..???

12. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    As if right now, Turner and Heartline.

13. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I really appreciate Greg C. and like him as a player. What I have been trying to say if he can't get healthy soon enough, and get on the field to compete, and the competition level rises up, do he for sure have a spot on this team?

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yes, he will be healthy, there is no way a Mexican loses a 500k a year job because of some minor surgery...:escape:

Seriously though, Greg C is running smoothly, if anything his strengths have only gotten stronger ie, route running, hands, a feel for finding the open area, he also has C Pennington's complete trust.

And IMO, Bess is not suited for lining up outside of the hashmarks, he is a slot wr and great at the job, Turner is the #4, meaning London, Hartline, Armstrong, and everyone else is fighting for the #5 and #6 spot, the winner is the best ST player, the loser is rarely active.

IMO, Hartline is fighting London for a roster spot and ST play determines the winner, we are looking for our own Kasim Osgood imho ffic.

15. MrClean

OMG, just because he has a Hispanic surname does not make him Mexican, and even if he were, don't you think that was kind of a dumb thing to say, unless you actually wanted to sound like Archie Bunker?

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :omg:

He had a ACL operation 7 months ago, he was running in the OTA's, you tell me how tough he isn't.

Let me expound on this a bit, I work with Mexicans everyday and have found how tough they are amazing, as in a guy worked half a day, told me he was leaving and went directly to the hospital with a obstructed bladder, he paid cash for the operation and was on the job a day later.

I have a ton of respect for that sort of toughness, granted Greg C's connection to that sort of reality is tangenital at best, I used metaphor from my experience for Greg C's toughness in coming back so quickly from an injury it took Ronnie B 10 months to reach Greg C's point in recovery.

You really should get out more Mr C.

gafinfan and mullingan like this.
  17. MrClean

You really have no idea about how much I do or do not get out.

So if Ronnie's surname was Cruz would he have recovered faster?

As for who needs to get out more...let's see...Padre: 23,600 posts, MrClean: 6800 posts...Who keeps their face buried in the computer more often?

18. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Brothers, let's enjoy the site. :hi5:

PhinsRock, cnc66, gafinfan and 2 others like this.
  19. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Was that a serious argument, or where they just joking around? Lol.

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    you stay out of this newbie...lol

21. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Gotcha. :up:
    It's for my own good any way. I don't wanna get jumped online.

22. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    may very well keep seven ( five active) on 53 roster: GinnJr, Bess, Camarillo, Turner, Armstrong, with Marion & Hartline on ST's

23. MrClean

Show me one time in team history, that at the final cut to 53, the Dolphins kept 7 WRs. How about 6 even?

24. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I want us to keep them all, but sadly don't think that will happen.