1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Training Camp Preview Part 1: Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Miami Dolphin Nation, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Miami Dolphin Nation

Miami Dolphin Nation New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Now until training camp opens August 1st, Miami Dolphins Nation will break down every position starting with Quarterback. This has been a position that has haunted the Dolphins ever since Dan Marino retired. If the QB woes would have gone on much further I would have gone as far as to say we were under the curse of Marino. However, last season relief finally came, and from all places the Jets. Chad Pennington brought stability to a position that had been under scrutiny for nearly a decade as he led one of the greatest turnarounds in NFL history.

Projected Depth Chart

1. Chad Pennington: There is no question Pennington will be back under center but, next year might be another story. But for right now Chad is the perfect fit for this offense because he is model of consistancy and if you forget about the Wild Card round he does'nt turn the ball over. Some may say, he will have a down year because of his history in New York, but a lot of that had to do with the shoulder and that pretty feathery spiral he throws had a hard time in the windy conditions of the Meadowlands. So continue to expect great things out of Chad this year, and expect the offense as a whole should improve thier 21st in the league points per game ranking from last season.

2. Chad Henne: This is probably one of the biggest storylines of this years camp, as everyone will be keeping a close eye on the development of Chad Henne. With the Dolphins staff already hinting that they would like thier second round pick to be the starter for the 2010 season as everyone knows that Henne is the future for this franchise. Henne had a very solid pre-season last season and when he spelled Chad Pennington in week 2 vs. the Cardinals, he moved the offense right down the field. Under Henne the Dolphins offense has the potential to go places Pennington will never be able to take them. Yes, under Pennington the Dolphins can be a very good offense but, with 8 guys in the box all the time the running game takes a pretty big hit. However, Henne has the arm strength to really stretch the defense. Not saying that Henne will make this offense elite, but only under him do they have that potential, but for now Pennington is still the guy.

3. Pat White: Most people would probably say that the Dolphins only drafted Pat to play in the wildcat formation or move him to wide-out, but Miami has said all along that they drafted him to be a quarterback. This might not make much sense to most people, with the Dolphins already having Chad Henne waiting in the wings, but I say why put your whole future on one guy. Why not get an insurance policy for the most important position in the game? Pat White is the perfect insurance policy for Miami, because if they never need him and Chad Henne is the guy, then he is'nt a waist there are plenty of ways to utilize an athlete like White. They can put him in the wildcat, move him to wid-out, or have him return kicks. Pat White will be a great weapon for this offense.

Position Battles to watch

Widcat QB
    Ronnie Brown/Pat White: With all the hype about Pat White running this formation it seems like everyone has forgot about Ronnie Brown. Listen, Ronnie Brown made the wildcat. Ronnie had the patience and vision to find the whole and had the ability to make something out of nothing. Ronnie also, had enough of an arm to make the defense respect it. Ronnie Brown was what made it work thats why everyone kept trying to copy the phins but no one had the type of success Miami did. However, having said all that Pat White is obviously a much better passer than Brown and would open up the formation that much more. The best guess is that the Dolphins will give both of them time in the formation. Look for them to run it a little bit in the pre-season but, you won't see any of the new or old wrinkles until it counts.

miamidolphinnation

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Not a bad first post!

3. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    I would submit that White was in fact drafted primarily for the WC ... secondarily, we also know that Parcells does like to have a mobile QB, as it changes things for opposing defenses. the more you have to prepare for - the less you prepare for ...

all things being equal, i can't imagine White ever challenging Henne to be the QB of the future ... but he does bring another dimension to both the 'standard' offense, and the WC.

i do not agree that teams respected Ronnie's throwing ability ... he can run 'a' WC, but not the WC that this FO and coaching staff has planned.

Anonymous and Disnardo like this.
  4. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    First of all, welcome to this board.
    This board of full of passinonate, and mostly intellgent fans (gish:shifty:)
    Hopefully you will enjoy your time here and decide to stick around.

1)I agree with you with you 100%
    I am sceptical of Chad1 getting hurt again, just because he has done so in the past. In the past he played in an enviroment, that prevented him from utilizing his precission game to the extend he did last year, due to weather conditions in the Meadowlands. Chad also said on number of occasions that he completely changed the way he stretches and warms up, and insists that he felt alot better this offseason than he ever did before.

2)Development if Chad2 is lethal for this team. He is the future (or at least supposed to be) I see him getting alot of reps in TC and preseason, where opinion on him will really start to develop.

3)I am on the fense about this issue. While yes, Ronnie is the original "WildCat" he has merely one dimensional, while Pat brings the option of throwing it, as well as running it. At the same time, lets not forget that Pat White is 180 pounds (if that) while Ronnie is 220. Thos runs up the middle may not be the same with Pat, if they will happen to begin with. While many people write off wildcat just to Pat, I do think that Ronnie will still have a role in the 'cat, but Pat will be running the show.

Again, Welcome :hi5:
    Enjoy Yourself.

5. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    excellent first post.

I'm finally excited about our QB players and we actually have proper depth at the position. It's funny how we started winning when the FO addressed that position. I'm so excited for the day that Henne gets the key's to the dolphins offense, whether that is this year at some point or next. It will be exciting football to watch thats for sure.

6. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Superb first post, welcome to the boards, hope you find a home here. You'll love the people and the posting, and the intel. You make some excellent points, however I disagree about Pat White, yes he COULD be a great backup to Henne, and Parcells may like a mobile QB (though I never heard that before, and I have been a huge Parcells fan for more years than I'd like to admit), but make no mistake about this: Pat White was drafted mostly for what he brings to the WildCat, or "Hybrid" as DJ (one of our good posters) likes to call it.

Without PW and the passing threat he poses, teams can just stack the box like Baltimore did and render the WC useless. PW gives us a SERIOUS passing threat in the WC and teams will have to respect that, hence no more stacking the box, unless they want PW to toss a TD bomb over their secondary.

7. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Nice stuff for your first post man. I enjoyed it.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Good post, enjoyed it.

9. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    good read

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    read somewhere today that the Tuna had expressed an interest in Vic
    I believe Ireland inferred it in an interview with one of the local papers
    this would be a total surprise after drafting White but with Parcells you never know
    I'm sure a lot of teams are quietly looking at him, with the SingleWing in mind
    would be less of a surprise if the Patriots picked him up for that very end

11. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Thanks bro! Very nice post!:hi5: