1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Training Camp 08/20

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Alex13, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    There is some news out there, no hitting today though, Keller has been put on IR and we signed LB Nathan Williams, Kyle Milller is back, also Brian Hartline not happy
    about the hit on Dustin Keller.....here

MrClean and DePhinistr8 like this.
  2. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    gunn34 likes this.
  3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nathan Williams was a solid player for Ohio State, but could never stay healthy. I believe he had the same microfracture type of injury that Greg Oden had. I think he's purely a SAM backer, but could make a nice contribution on special teams.

dolfan22 likes this.
  4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    lol Omar

5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Jerry inserted immediately to right guard upon his return. Best news of day.

ToddPhin and smahtaz like this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Interesting that Clay moves to starting Te.

GMJohnson likes this.
  7. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
  8. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    question is who is his backup now, sims or egnew

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Appears the staff is not sold on Egnew so probably Sims.

10. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i guess egnew didn´t help his cause with that holding penalty with the starters out there

HULKFish likes this.
  11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Charles Clay was the #2 tight end. The #1 tight end got injured. The #2 tight end is now the #1 tight end.

Hurray for not over thinking stuff.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I doubt they cared about that so much as his letting up a sack because of a mental error.

But Dion Sims had an equally bad game, IMO. Sims was consistently bad in the game. Egnew just had a few bad plays.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    By the way I'm not sure where it's coming from that Michael Egnew is in the dog house. Omar just tweeted that Michael Egnew started off as the 2nd tight end in 2-TE sets with Charles Clay in the 7-on-7 portion.

They're still actively trying to figure out the #2 situation.

Evan Rodriguez has moved to tight end now. So they're going with that instead of replacing a body with a body at the position, signing a new tight end. They chose to take a look at another linebacker instead.

ToddPhin likes this.
  14. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    There will still be 2 TE sets. MIA ran that personnel with Clay/Sims vs the Texans.

Beasley is easily fascinated, I guess.

HULKFish likes this.
  15. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i like that egnew is that 2nd guy now, he will make some catches over the middle, i´m pretty sure

16. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
  17. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    :omg::jump:

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    They also ran 2-TE stuff with Egnew and Clay, I believe. In fact they ran 2-TE stuff with Egnew before Keller was even hurt. Egnew got the holding call early in the 1st quarter if I recall.

19. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
  20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Good to hear that Jerry and Starks are working. Nothing else among the reports seems surprising.

21. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Yup... the media is sure quick on the draw. No 2 TE sets in the first 15 minutes of practice, and apparently, the Keller injury has forced us into a run-n-shoot. :lol:

22. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Im actually excited to see what we have with Clay. I think both he and Egnew can be very good seam threats. I can see Sims developing as well into something. All in all....at the end of the day, I think we will be fine.

23. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    - Randy Starks said he will play on saturday
    - total of 5 fumbles and 6 interceptions in practice today...
    - philbin said running back competition still open
    - jerry and louis shared snaps at RG today
    - icognito said line has won more battles than they lost in preseason, run blocking is ahead of pass blocking

gunn34 and dolfan22 like this.
  24. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I hope that is not the case about the run blocking. We are in big trouble at RB if thats the case. Run blocking hasnt looked great to me though.

25. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Both finally running with the ones? I like that news.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not trying to pick on a guy just for the sake of picking on a guy. If the coaches are somehow convinced that Daniel Thomas needs to steal carries from Lamar Miller, i genuinely think that's a bad thing.

I genuinely believe that the standards have been lowered to such a great degree with respect to Daniel Thomas that when he shows ANY progress, even if it's just two positive runs in a game, he's gretting praised. He's getting "Up Arrowed". And we all like guys that are trending upward, right?

But I truly believe an HONEST and OBJECTIVE look at what he has done this preseason does not support this notion that he's "neck and neck" with Lamar Miller on that basis. Perhaps it's all what is happening in practice, and that's what the coaches are seeing and loving and that's why they have it the way they do. If so, I would warn them that the same was true of Legedu Naanee. He couldn't translate from the practices to the games, from practice speed to game speed, from no hitting to hitting. We have NOT seen yet that Daniel Thomas can do those things. We just haven't. We're going bananas about 4 positive run plays in 2 games. My goodness.

The facts as they stand are thus:

1. The NFL gamebook play by plays show 13 runs for 48 yards, though 1 run for 0 yards was nullified on penalty.
    2. He's had 3 or fewer yards on over 60% of those runs, 0 or fewer on over 20% of them.
    3. He's not broken a single tackle physically.
    4. He's tallied only 21 yards after contact.
    5. He failed on his one short yardage call, and it was definitely his fault.
    6. He's caught 2 balls for 28 yards.

That's just the objective, evidence based look.

What I ask you is, where is the progress? That he hasn't fumbled the ball yet in his 15 touches? This is why a career sub-4.0 yards per carry back should be a starter?

It's truly mind boggling and the coaches will regret it if they go down this road. I don't WANT them to go down this road, not because I have some irrational hate for Daniel Thomas, but rather because I have some irrational love for the Miami Dolphins football team and would like to see them do well.

I'm not ruling out the potential for progress, either. I just would like to SEE it translate into the games, before I just buy the progress on blind faith. If he starts truly translating success into the games, so be it. I don't think we've seen that consistently enough or enough of a sample of it to believe it. The chances of him being a crappy tailback on August 4th of 2013, and then his first two carries on August 9th of 2013, and then having some kind of pixie dust sprayed on him on the sidelines during that August 9th game to where he suddenly went to a viable starter...those chances are low. You've got to see a bigger body of work than just his latest 6 carries, in order to believe it.

27. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    we need someone to finally run away with that RG job, its 2 1/2 weeks before kick off

cuchulainn and Larry Little like this.
  28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Is Starks hurt for real or is he getting a training camp pass?

HULKFish likes this.
  29. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I think we'll see a LOT more 3WR sets than 2TE sets this year now with Keller out...

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    According to Armando, Daniel Thomas got 12 snaps with the 1st team today to Lamar Miller's 10.

SO this stuff about Daniel Thomas being the starter isn't lip service. If people were being HONEST, I think most people here would actually disagree with Daniel Thomas being elevated above Lamar Miller. Don't act like I'm some lone gunman.

Hopefully all they're doing is trying to light a fire under Lamar Miller because of that dropped pass.

schmolioot likes this.
  31. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Possibly... we'll have to see how it plays out.

I think it's still up in the air. A lot depends upon the value of Gibson. And, the one thing that stands out to me about a Clay + Sims package is, it gives us the chance to line Clay up as a FB, HB, TE, or in the slot. If Egnew ever gets his head out of his butt, he could offer the same type threat. It also depends upon if the RBs can prove to be a viable option as pass-catchers. Losing Keller hurt, but, I think they still have options. They just can't afford to lose too many other skill guys on offense, or it's gonna turn into 2012 all over again.

32. 2xBlown

2xBlown Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I don't think its necessarily a Daniel Thomas is amazing thing, but more of a show us something special Lamar thing. Thomas had some very nice runs and Miller, since the HOF game, has looked tentative and lacking in burst.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's ultimately what I think is going on here. I think they're trying to light a fire under Miller.

But if there's more going on than just that, then there's a problem, IMO.

34. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I'd hope so. I think Miller's speed and big play potential (or at least the threat of it) becomes a bit more of a necessity with Keller gone.

35. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I thought Thomas played better against the Texans. However, I don't think Thomas has earned serious consideration as a starter. I think you're on target with the idea that they are likely trying to motivate Miller.

I was pretty ticked off about his drop myself. He has a habit of 'hopping up' and catching the ball with his chest in the flat, instead of bringing the ball in with his hands. He had a similar play last season... I think it was against the Pats. The ball wound up popping up in the air and falling right back into his hands. He got lucky. Next time, though, the ball might wind up bouncing into the hands of a DB or LB and going the other way.

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Couple more notes from Armando's practice report.

1. Randy Starks looked great coming back from injury, moved well, made tackles in the backfield, etc. This is good because Jared Odrick was clearly hurt somehow and so frustrated with his body physically that at one point he threw his helmet.

2. On the other hand, John Jerry did not look good coming back from injury. He clearly favored the left leg. He "crumpled to the ground" on the first play of 11 on 11, and then missed a block on his next play. He was asked about how he feels after practice and said "No comment".

Sounds to me like we could have a lead-change in the Starks/Odrick situation, and that Lance Louis could get the call-up this week against the Bucs.

I thought you could refer to Lance Louis' work against the Texans as "decent" if your standards are kind of low, which after three games of Josh Samuda they kind of are. I didn't see near the mobility he had in Chicago, and his run blocking really left something to be desired, but at this point with Samuda letting guys in through a swinging gate in pass defense and the entire line struggling from that standpoint...maybe the incremental pass protection competence is exactly what we need, not more run blocking. There's also a possibiliy that Lance Louis could play himself into better shape as far as the way he moves and his athletic ability.

I have my doubts about Jerry. I think Louis could be the starter after all.

HugeFinFan likes this.
  37. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Maybe we're showcasing Thomas for another team for a draft pick. :dunno:

38. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    maybe that ankle is still bothering miller who knows, it would be an absolute disaster if thomas takes the starting gig, that was handed on a silver plate to miller away from him

39. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Lamar dropping that 3rd down pass hurt him I feel like. I like the way he runs more than DT. I'm seeing what your seeing CK. DT has a flashy run here and there, but when comes down to it he is a guy that loses yards often and has a history of putting the ball on the ground.

This speaks more of what they haven't seen in Lamar than what they have in DT. IMO.

40. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    so does omar really mean 75 yards in the air ??!

ToddPhin and vizi0n like this.