1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tough Love - No dancing around for JT

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, May 17, 2009.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Not only did the Dolphins get a bargain when they signed JT but they imposed some tough conditions .

He has to work out just like everyone else.
    He will be a situational player
    He has to earn a job
    There are no guarantees.He could be cut.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1052135.html

Talk about sucking it up .JT had 12 teams after him some who would have given him much more money,a longer contract and not obliged him to workout yet he chooses the Dolphins.

JT made a mistake and is trying his best to correct it.

2. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    The regime running the Dolphins now doesn't have the gift of double-talk. They do not say one thing and do another, as Nick Saban did.

This,IMHO says it all.
    Be honest and truthful to the player's and they will perform for the coach's,team,fan's and for pride.That is a winning formula,being on the same page with each other with nothing to hide or lie about.
    Gotta' love it.No more BS. :up:

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Well...:shifty:

If we recall rookie minicamp, Sparano went out of his way to tell the media that the rookies would be 28 workouts behind the veterans, JT won't report until Tuesday, so he has missed workouts himself, that is where the 'he hired a personal trainer and had a sheet with the workout that they wanted him to do" comes from, to me both sides compromised on the offseason workouts.

I just hope it is an honest competition, sink or swim, for everyone, that is how we will field the best team in this tough schedule season, if you have to fight for your football life just to play the game for us, then facing another team will seem much easier..

54Fins likes this.
  4. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    when did he sign Andrew?? the only workouts he missed are those "since" his signing. Are there any scheduled workouts across this holiday weekend? I don't understand why this would be a big deal.. I see no great conspiracies or monster compromises.

JT signs, the Coach says see ya Tuesday, done deal.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    AFAIK, he still hasn't, or if he has, there really will be no press conference.

Recall Eric Greene talking about upchucking into a trash can in the weight room? JT has missed that party..:lol:

As for compromises, both sides have, but it is being played like only JT has, which is fine, but the Ireland/Tuna odd couple made one on the workouts as well though.

6. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    I must be extra dense this a.m. Andrew, I just dont see it.. are you suggesting that the delay in JT's signing was all about saving him some weight room workouts?

edit; I just looked, he signed on the 13th

7. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    Bringing a comment from Club into here.. Andrew, I am pretty sure one of our news hawks would have sniffed out any comments about JT being signed because Wake disappointed in dropping back. It might be true, I just don't think it has been published or we would have seen it. I hope that isn't the case, I hope JT was signed on his value alone, not from a "deficiency of another player.

dolphindebby likes this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think that is how it worked out in the end, JT would have been at DWTS last year, this year he isn't on DWTS nor is he working out with the team.

Recall that in the Crowder interview on WQAM Channing C texted JT and told him to get himself into the practice facility to workout with the fellas.

So to me, JT has been allowed to not participate in the offseason weight training program, if they REALLY wanted him in here they could have given him a drop dead date, be in by May 1, or don't bother calling.

The only thing I've found "published" that our newshawks haven't sniffed out is Kirwan when he used to work for Big Tuna and he said that Tuna had a good eye for CFL talent and whether they would translate to the NFL and how well they could make the jump

The story of lacking pass dropping skill has some credence on the surface, the observers at the minicamp, the bloggers, mentioned Wake doesn't change directions smoothly and had trouble covering Te's Bronson and Nalbone, but the Tim Ryan comment was based on "inisder" type of information from Davie, and being a radio comment, a satellite radio one at that, I hvaen't seen it published anywhere and by now it's doubtful that it would be.

cnc66 likes this.
  9. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    You can't work out with the team until you are signed.. so like I said before.. the only thing he has missed is what has transpired after he signed on the 13th..

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As I pointed out, if they had wanted JT to participate, they could have given an ulitmatium, they never did, the FO mentioned the personal trainer bit, which is fine with me, however it's not working out with the team.

11. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Trust me he will be a starter by game 5 or less.

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    things appear to be according to Hoyle
    sure there are no illusions on either part
    & JT will play his heart out

13. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    when.. we aren't on the same page bro...... I feel like we are talking about different things.. an ultimatum for what.. the couple days since he signed.. the only activity since then is the weight room, how do you know he hasn't been in it? maybe nothing is really happening until after this holiday weekend.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not quite so, JP mentioned at the Ericsson that they have been hitting the offseason conditioning program hard, it's the interview where JP endorses bringing JT back.

I think were we might be diverging is the story goes that "JT was only going to resign with Miami, it was like that all along" if that is so, they could have signed him after the draft so he could participate in the offseason program, instead JT hired a personal trainer along with the outline of our offseason program.

Last year it was a huge deal that JT didn't workout with his teammates, this year...not so much, I'm not complaining or saying JT is receiving extra special treatment, however to me it is clear both sides compromised.

15. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    okay.. so you are suggesting that the delay in signing him was workout related.. right? I can't dispute that, but I don't think it fits anything I have seen Sparano do since he got here. I think they really needed to see what we had and review his value to us. I just don't buy into any speciaL FAVORS TO RELIEVE jt OF WORKOUTS.. IN MY MIND, AT THIS JUNCTURE, i'D BE WILLING TO BET jASON IS LOOKING FORWARD TO THEM TOO.. sorry about caps lock.. see how long I go before looking up from my two finger typing.

anyway, I do not see how how you can be so "clear" I see nothing to support your view..

yer turn :up:

padre31 and late again like this.
  16. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    ok I'm gonna' chime in here.
    I think Sparano & JT know exactly what they are doing.
    I don't think JT will get any special treatment. He will earn his spot.
    IF there was a question on the work outs, do you think the fo would have allowed it? Do you think Sparano would have just said, "ok, jt, do as you want". I think Sparano has wanted jt all along and is working things out with him.
    He knows jt's talent, the man he is and what he'll bring here.
    Just like last year, it's all behind closed doors and we will never know what goes on completely.
    I will always believe last year was more media hype to cause dissention than anything else. I guess some would think jt should have cried in public about all of it.
    He made mistakes, no doubt, but I don't think he crawled back and begged to be back on the team. I think it was a mutual thing since he left the skins.
    I also don't think he has to atone for anything.
    I'd just like to see people get off his back and let him play football.

cnc66, CrunchTime and padre31 like this.
  17. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I wholeheartedly disagree.. JT will be a situational pass rusher. 3rd downs, second and long, etc. and continue in that role throughout the season. This is the best way to insure he's still able to be as effective in week 17 (or the post season) as he was in game 1. There's absolutely no need to press him into a starter's role. In fact I believe that Roth will continue to be the starter opposite Porter. Unless Wake is able to show he can be as good as Roth has been against the run.

cnc66 likes this.
  18. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    He might be more productive as a situational pass rusher. He will be well rested and able to give 100% on every play that he plays.

late again likes this.
  19. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    it still seems to me that he is an insurance policy for this year ... in order to allow the other players to 'grow' into the position.

i don't think he is getting any special treatment, workouts or otherwise ... from this point on. i would have to believe that the delay was purely the FO deciding whether or not they had to venture down that road. after looking over the current roster and where they stood - JT became a potential (likely) upgrade from where we are today.

JT would have liked to sign with us, if for no other reason than proximity and family - add to it the chance to be on a good defense again, and at least a chance to get back to the playoffs -- all the while staying at home.

20. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    I mentioned this as a possibility in some thread on JT a few weeks back. In hindsight, I don't see it as *clear* that is how it went down, but its consistent with the facts out there if you look at it with a cynical eye. I actually thought it might be drug out a good bit longer with JT signing right at the start of training camp. Tin foil hat post hoc analysis is that Sparano drew the line at the upcoming OTA days.

21. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I personally see JT going into training camp for a situational player role and coming out a Starter. I honestly think that he wants to be a starter and will work for it and earn the position. He knows that he needs to be a absolute beast this year for his name to even come up for Hall of Fame talks and honestly probably needs 2 more years to earn himself a spot. I also believe that neither Roth or Wake can stand up to JT's talent. Isn't the expression "I may have lost a step but i'm still one step ahead of everyone else"? I think he'll take that to heart and show it in his play time. JT also brings a lot of knowledge to teach all the young guys on our Defense.

cnc66, CrunchTime and dolphindebby like this.
  22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I believe JT is looking forward to getting into camp, his first with DC Pasqualoni and HC Sparano as well, never thought he wasn't.

I was merely pointing out that there was a side deal cut, why else transmit what JT needed to do to prepare himself for the season even though "he wasn't signed yet''.

To me, I like it and it makes sense, JT could have just as easily said "I'm done" but instead worked out at his gym because he wants to play this season.

cnc66 likes this.
  23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, JT was not signed, but was going to be signed, both sides knew it and JT and HC Sparano had a gentleman's agreement, Sparano told JT what he needed to do to be ready, JT hired a trainer and did it.

Perhaps "special treatment", but it's sort of like working from home IMO.

HC Sparano and JT texted each other all of last season, they had no problems with each other, quite the opposite..good call ddebby.

Hmmm...either way, JT is back on the roster, last season is like Albania, a completely different country, all that counts is this season.

cnc66 and dolphindebby like this.
  24. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Thanks padre. We seem to be agreeing more and more.
    I also want to thank you for your posts to me and the info you add to them. It helps me a lot.

cnc66 and padre31 like this.
  25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nice Ddebby, I try to answer as many requests for information as I can.

cnc66 and dolphindebby like this.
  26. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    Jason Taylor not a starter, not buying it. It may stand at that as of now, but when camp comes around and his competition makes rookie mistakes, his probowl skills and veteran leadership will shine along with JP.

27. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    Sparano will limit his reps no matter his success