1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony McDaniel wants to play Nose Tackle

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jul 30, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-dolphins-tony-mcdaniel-s0730sbjul30,0,1958349.story

I could see it happening, the only problem is not McDaniel's height, it is his durability, Bob Baumhower was 6'5 and played NT, McD is 6'7 and offers what we need...push up the middle.

McDaniel's was injured constantly in Jacksonville, if healthy he can demand double teams and offers the height to make passing difficult.

2. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Can't height be a detriment -- particularly if you don't have the weight to go with it?

3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I think its the technique thats more important than height .If he can get low enough to get sufficient leverage on opponents.

However the injury history does not bode well for such a change of position.Nose tackles get chopped and cut blocked a lot .

Bpk and like2god like this.
  4. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I think you lose the lower body stregth and low center of gravity that centers have by snapping the ball and already being low. A taller NT has trouble getting lower and gaining leverage.

Maybe i'm wrong on that, but i think that's why they should be an ideal height not really tall.

But if he can play the nose and play it well, the way Ferg. described him that woudl be awesome, he's only 24 that's young. Hope the injury thing is past him. Love the kid's attitude. Sounds like he'll fit in nicely here in So.Florida.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Can be, especially on a double team block, if McDaniels is straightened upright he will look like he is on wheels when they push him back.

But all time Phins great Bob Baumhower was 6'6, McD is 6'7, Baumhower made 5 pro bowls, so it's not impossible.

My impression of McD was he could penetrate as a DT, and we need that from our NT, Fergie is fine as a tree stump run stuffer, but we need someone who can collapse the pocket.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It all comes down to leverage in my opinion and I know that Jack Del Rio discussed that with McDaniel when he played in Jacksonville. Del Rio commented on how raw of a player McDaniel is and even at this stage of his career, he is still trying to get by with his brute strength. McDaniel could be a player at nose tackle down the road but right now, he seems to be a project and could possibly best fit at defensive end.

The Aqua Crush and like2god like this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Disagree Alen, the Jags moved McDaniels after signing him to a contract extension, the new GM cleared house, but at one time McD was considered a good replacement for Marcus Stroud.

Del Rio saw something in him, but that one year playoff run skewed everything, the new GM wanted his guys, Del Rio is trying to save his job, so they let McD go for cheap.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Disagree with what? I'm not arguing if they wanted him or not, I'm paraphrasing what Jack Del Rio said.

Also, a seventh rounder isn't going to save Del Rio's job.

9. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That would be nice to see. His size should be enough to make people run but I think he could dominate in the middle.

10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

If he has the lower body strength and can stop the run, his height and push could collapse pockets, and wreak havoc with opponent's passing lanes. So I really hope he turns this thing into a successful switch to NT. And Ferguson should be about as qualified as anyone to know if the kid can do it or not. Seems to me McD will need to add some weight though, 305 seems pretty light for a NT especially at 6'7".

azfinfanmang likes this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Who is going to speak badly of a oft injured player, then offer him a new contract?

McDaniels was moved in a deck clearing, he was injured often, had a relatveily expensive contract, and whether Del Rio liked him or not, the new GM did not like him and out he went.

We've had a good history of oft injured players no longer being oft injured when they play here, perhaps McDaniels is the next one on the list.

12. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Haynesworth is 6'6 or so, as far as height goes.

13. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Someone to push Soliai is a good thing.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  14. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    He needs to step it up this year. You got a 35 year old vet that he still can't beat out of a job.:pity:

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I love the potential that McDaniels has. Whether it translates or not (ala Wake) is another story.

I could see McDaniels substituting for Ferguson in more of our 4-3 schemes where he can contribute pressure.

Like others have said, his height could be an issue, especially when asked to tie up 2 OLmen for our LBs to rush in.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm...you know, we have the personnel to run the 4-3

Merling, Starks, McDaniel, Lankford..

Fergie, Wright, Soliai, a back ups

Anywho, the current staff has been spot on in both their player evaluations and squeezing production out of players who had underperformed up until now in their careers, if McD and Wake have the goods, and are coachable, we will squeeze performance out of them out on the field.

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Where did he speak badly of him? He was simply asked what he thought of McDaniels and he spoke the truth, just like Del Rio has always done. Did you see his comments this off-season on John Henderson's injury at camp? He basically called him a wimp and told him to get his rear in camp.

Link?

They likely felt that they couldn't do anything to change his injury history and when an offer came along, they thought "we got this guy as a free agent and now we're getting rewarded a draft pick despite him not being much of a contributor."

18. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    :beer:

19. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I don't see a huge difference in Ferg and McDaniel as far as size. At their listed weights (if the Dolphins site is accurate), Ferg is 310... McDaniel is 305. Not a difference at all, if you ask me. McDaniel is 4" taller, but I don't see how the added height would be overly detrimental. Kevin Williams in Minnesota is 6'5". Haynesworth is 6'6". I don't think it makes a difference, really.

To me, it comes down to strength and conditioning. Either McDaniel can hold his ground down after down, or he can't. However, he and Ferg both sound pretty confident. I'm interested in seeing him give it a shot.

If he can do it, that'll be a big relief to me. I have very little confidence in Soliai right now.

Big E and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Bob Baumhower did it at 6'6" & many probowls in his distinguished career
    why not Tony McDaniels?
    got room, opportunity & the guy wants to play NT

I say let them compete.

21. Philter25

Philter25 New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Do the Skins run a 3-4?

Technique. Do the skins and vikes run a 3-4? Because you are comparing 1 gap 4-3 DT's to a 3-4 2 gap NT. Big difference in technique and responsibility.

Also, Ferg is 310 and 6'2 vs mcdaniel at 6'7 and 305...... 5 inches taller and 5 lbs lighter is a huge difference.

Now, im not saying he CANT play NT, Im just saying your comparison isnt very good.

.....now if we switch to a 1 gap scheme on certain plays, then McDaniel and Starks should be good at NT.

Springveldt likes this.
  22. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    when you've e got exceptional height
    @ NT it's all about getting under (leverage) the offensive linesman
    a man 6'7" & 305 has the potential to put on 40 pounds in muscle w/o losing significant agility
    & the added body length makes him a bigger threat to the QB or RB in the backfield
    biggest thing is he wants a shot @ the position
    that should build a bond fire under Solai this season

23. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Yeah, sounding like a parrot here.

Good old "want to" goes a long way, and probably in most cases, is determinative, but his height is a real handicap here.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  24. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Bob Baumhower was 6'6"
    didn't hamper his ability to play
    have to wait & see. competition is always a good thing. Solai should step up this year.
    NT: Fergie, Solai, McDaniels w/ Cohen or Ellis on the practice squad

25. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Huge differences between Bob Baumhower and McDaniel is the time they played(play).
    The position Baumhower played was considered NT, but it is nothing compared to what Fergy currently plays. Totally different technique all-together.

Also, although Baumhower was only roughly 260, the O-lineman he was facing were also down at that same size range. Huge difference now-adays

I do hope he can at least come in and be affective there, but that height and less weight dictates a higher center of gravity..I have never seen him in the locker-room or anything, but I would imagine he is carrying it much much higher than either Fergy or Solai

The Aqua Crush and Springveldt like this.
  26. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    But Albert Haynesworth is 350 pounds. Mcdaniels is 305 pounds. Big difference in weight there.
    If anything, this shows that he can be versatile and play anywhere on the line.

27. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think height is really an issue. There have been plenty of tall DTs playing interior techniques. Terdell Sands is 6'7", John Henderson as well. Marcus Stroud is 6'6", etc. and so on. These guys have or do play positions basically identical to a 1-gap 3-4 NT.

If he was going to be a full time NT, and the Dolphins wanted him to play a Parcells-style 2-gap 3-4, then odds are he'd gain some weight. If they stick with the 1-gap, he's probably fine.

There's also a possibility he might be a passing-down NT. Bringing back Jason Taylor might mean more 3-3/3-2 nickel and dime packages, which means they'd be looking for a NT a bit lighter, and a bit more penetration oriented than a regular 320 pound guy.

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    We definitely do.

I remember reading an article that had some coach interviews where they said they were going to run a lot of hybrid schemes. This was back in mini-camp and before JT, but I'm sure that his signing only solidified this idea. I think this came up around the same time that all the Quarters talk began.

Anyways, I think we're going to be a lot more creative on D with all the interesting additions we've made with guys like McDaniel, Wake, JT, etc.

29. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I've also heard that he was lazy, I dont know if thats true or not.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My dirty NFL secret is I despise the 3-4 with a passion, I like the 4-3 as it is just easier to find skilled players to man the defensive front 7.

I do believe we will run a hybrid system, if McD can stay healthy he could be an interior nickel rusher on a 4 man line, ditto Starks.

31. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think that's exactly why I love the 3-4.

Of course i looks a lot nicer when you have the Steelers front 7.

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And it took the steelers how long and how many draft picks to but the guys into the system?

The 4-3...easy, Shula retired, JJ installed the 4-3...voila!...defense much much better all it took was adding Gardner to Bowens, add Zach Thomas, develop JT, Mixon, Brommel, and we had a good defense for a long time.

The 3-4 requires too many skills on behalf the linebackers, even now, can anyone say our situation at ILB is even above average?

33. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Nope and that's why I was so disappointed that we didn't address that need in the draft, especially seeing that Rey was dropping down the boards and the possibility of moving a guy like Sintim to the inside.

34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, that is a part of the reason why I prefer the 4-3, ILB is fairly easy to find as well, but the whole season is predicated on the idea that Sparano and Ireland know what they are doing.

35. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

And after they got the right guys in place they've won how many super bowls recently? If it takes us that long and we win that many super bowls I'm all for it. I know you would be too. I like the 3-4 over the 4-3 personally, even if it does require more athletic linebackers and stronger Dlinemen.

As far as ILBs go we're weak up the entire gut of our defense. That triangle (NT, ILB, ILB) is weak right now due to depth or talent of player.

We did alright last year and I would guess the second year guys have progressed quite a bit and will be able to play the run a bit better. Or at least that's the running hope I'm going with.

As far as drafting a LB goes next class is loaded with them.. if we need help there (we probably do and we will see as the season goes on) we'll draft it next year.

36. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We were using primarily the 4-3 in the last few years of Shula.

like2god likes this.
  37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They switched over to the 3-4 in 1993 though.

To me, we are simply average up the gut, part of that is Fergie's age, another part is Channing C's lack of plays and no one else to make them.

Soliai, McD, Starks, whomever, if a new more mobile NT emerges we will be in much better shape than we were last season.

Well, outside of the up the gut players, we are fairly set at most positions Anlgp, next year we need a ILB and maybe a Guard, maybe a running back.

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A far different form of it, and without Gardner, when JJ arrived the Del Rio's could no longer hack it, we brought in younger players and predicated the defense on physicality over read and react.

And of course, we added Gardner and Stubbs etc.

39. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

long term OLB pass rusher is still an issue. Porter and Taylor are older than younger and we don't really know the full scope of the other players at the position yet. Some of them may emerge or we may have some serious depth issues on our hands at OLB as well as ILB.

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Disagree anlgp, if anything we have too many OLB's, and we will resign Matty Roth, that leaves one spot open if JP or JT go down, or both, and we have Wake or Anderson to fill in at that slot.

ILB is a different matter, Reggie Torbor better eat his wheaties or he will be floating out of Miami.