1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today I found some evidence that suggests...

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by DonnieMost, Jan 31, 2011.

1. DonnieMost

DonnieMost New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    ...some infidelity in my parents' 15 year-old marriage. Infidelity on my father's side. I'll leave out details or what the evidence may be but it is of the communications sort. Needless to say I am not at all happy at having just learned this, and frankly have no clue as to how to deal with this. Respect for my dad —or more accurately, "step-father" is quickly disintegrating. Being now 20, this is a man who'd raised me since I was 5, and someone who, although not perfect, is/was someone I've in the past, frequented for advice. At this time, I'm not sure where to go for advice given the circumstances so I come here.

Then there's my mother. She'd expressed some concerns and suspicions in the past to me personally, given my dad's recent trips out of town. I don't feel she should learn this from me, because I really don't want to be the one to confirm these suspicions. The implications have not yet settled in and I've not considered all the possibilities.

Who do I talk to? What is to be done? What happens now?

Thanks in advance

2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Talk to your dad about what you suspect. Maybe you and him will continue to have good communication.

Boik14 likes this.
  3. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    This. And don't be too quick to condemn your step father. Marriage is one of the toughest I've ever experienced. When I was 20 I had no idea. I am not defending his actions, but give him a chance to explain himself, that's all.

MikeHoncho and Boik14 like this.
  4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Agree with the previous two posts. Your dad helped you fix stuff in your life that Im sure you have made mistakes with. See if he will own up to his responsibility to be faithful to your mom. Some people can give advice and cant take it, some people can talk about right and wrong but cant act on it. You'll find out a lot about your stepdad for better or worse. Best wishes dude. Keep us updated. :)

MikeHoncho and gunn34 like this.
  5. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I would also concur. It is NOT your place to talk to your Mom at least not yet. But a talk with your step-father is in order. Let him know that since you found out others could also and under no circumstances do you want your Mom hurt any worse than necessary. Urge them into some good counseling. This situation can be brought back from the brink if both parties are willing to put in the work. It will hurt but it can be very much worth it. You have my prayers.

dolphindebby and MikeHoncho like this.
  6. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Help him cover it up and keep it quiet with the understanding that it will only be a fling and not a ongoing affair.

Your mom is probably not giving him enough "attention" and he needs an outlet. Don't be a playa hater. NEVER hate the player...HATE the game.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It's all fun and games til' you "get pulled out of your crashed Escalade at 2AM Thanksgiving Night, bloodied and unconscious by your surprisingly strong yet loving wife"

finyank13, Boik14, jetssuck and 6 others like this.
  8. Ohiophinphan

Gotta tell ya, blaming the wife (Mom) in this scenario doesn't make a lot of sense nor is it likely to help the situation. If step dad cheated that was his choice, his bad choice, and he needs to own it not go off with some lousy excuse of "I wasn't being appreciated enough...". That kind of entitlement thinking gets people into situations like this. It does not solve them imo.

9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Look, this is how you deal with it.
    First, tell your mom.
    She leaves him.

She gets an orangutan. I'm not talking a little
    monkey or some dancing chimp bull****, I mean a ****ing orangutan.
    Don't ask me how you're gonna get a ****ing orangutan, that's not my
    problem. So the orangutan's name is Clyde. This is non-negotiable, all
    orangutans are named Clyde. I don't know why that is, it's just how the
    world works. So she and Clyde become woman (and ape) about town. They're
    seen everywhere together. Her and friends go out in
    big groups. She spots him and talks loud, and laughs louder. Every time your mom says
    something witty she high-fives the orangutan. The town begins to buzz. It
    gets back to him. "Did you know the woman with the orangutan?", "You were married to the woman with the orangutan?", "Why would you break up with a woman with an orangutan?"

Next thing she knows he's calling.

"I'm hoping we can still be friends. Wanna get together sometime." "Geez I
    dunno, me and Clyde were going to go to a monster truck race tonight.
    (orangutans love monster trucks) In fact the whole social calender seems
    kinda full. I tell you what, I'll make a little note (what was your name
    again?) and maybe I can squeeze you in." "Oh, well you know my number so
    don't be a stra-" "Hey look at the time! I gotta skate, Clyde's making
    Mojitos'."

At this point the upper hand is hers. She can let him twist in the
    wind, she can draw him back into her life at the pace she decides.
    Whatever, it's her life. But if she's a smart woman? She slowly phases
    him back in. They're IM'ng. Talking on Live. She gets invited to
    family functions. She brings Clyde, he becomes like one of the family.
    You're one big Brady Bunch.

10. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Yep. That's what we call ****ty advice.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  11. Ohiophinphan

King, I am not sure channeling old Clint Eastwood movies constitues "advice" but it was funny!

12. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Cool! Ask your pops if she has a daughter for you! Maybe you two could double date and do a little switcher-roo!

13. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    So says the guy that picked the New York Jets as his favorite NFL team.

14. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I don't tell other people to root for them :)

sent from my EVO 4G

MikeHoncho likes this.
  15. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Just remember, because he may be cheating doesn't mean he doesn't still love your mom.

16. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I've loved all the girls I cheated on.

FACT!

GreysonWinfield likes this.
  17. Ohiophinphan

Let me be the guy who tries to bring this thread back and at the same time say something about "love". LOVE is much more than the emotional feeling a person gets inside. That version of love is self centered and narrow minded. I loved my first wife very much. We were intimate regularly and our life, while it had its ups and downs, was good. Want to know the most loving thing we ever did?

While she was in the midst of chemotherapy she got violently ill. Because of her earlier polio she couldn't get out of her chair quickly enough and vomited all over herself. I wiped her off, picked her up, carried her to the bath tub and set her down. I then drew her a warm bath, undressed her, and lifted her into the tub. While she relaxed there, I washed her clothes and cleaned up her chair. I then returned to the bathroom, cleaned her, washed her hair, and rinsed her off. After lifting her out of the tub, I dressed her and put her to bed. When she died, I wept but I knew I had "loved" her "in sickness and in health".

Boik14 and MikeHoncho like this.
  18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Whatever makes them happy, just be happy for your parents.....My parents are divorced, I am happy they are happy...

19. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I agree with finyank. If your pops getting some strange gets your mom one less smack from him you should be happy.