1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to wii or not to wii?

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by #1 fan, Jun 5, 2010.

1. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    question is, what good games are there for it? i like the ones where you interact with the tv, ala house of the dead and punch out.

also, if i softmod it, should i keep my wifi connection on? thanks

2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Go ahead and wii, just use the bathroom.

McLovin likes this.
  3. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    no offense, but i think my pun is more clever :knucks:

4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    well you are a narcissist and all............... I love you.

McLovin and #1 fan like this.
  5. Jeff

Jeff A.S.E. Mastur

Mar 18, 2010
    Plantation
    The wii gets old after about a month or two. Its has sub-par graphics, and I'm pretty sure the PS3 is coming out with a movement type controller system comparable to the wii. I would wait.

#1 fan likes this.
  6. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    The only reason I'd get a Wii is for Mario and Zelda... but that's just me.

I know a lot of people who play it constantly and love it.

#1 fan likes this.
  7. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    There's the usual stable of Mario titles. Super Paper Mario is fantastic. Zelda: Twilight Princess is the first Zelda game in a long time that I've enjoyed. (I didn't like Ocarina of Time or The Wind Waker, though WW was better than OoT.) Metroid: Other M is coming out in September or so, and it looks great. You could nab Metroid Prime 3 if you don't want to wait.

For third party games, Okami is a must-play. Madworld is very good. I had fun with Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, but I'm nostalgic for FF4 since I played it as a kid back in 1991 (and for many years onward.) Sin & Punishment on the Virtual Console is every bit as good as I heard it was back in 2000, and there are other classics like Shining Force, Secret of Mana, Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden II, and Ys Book I & II available for download.

The Wii is best appreciated if you like and want to play older games, or modern games that harken back to older games.

#1 fan likes this.
  8. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    the thing is i have a ps3 and a modded 360. i figured i'd get the wii, so i can box at the tv, shoot zombies, fish with a fake rod, jog on wii fit, drive with a fake steering wheel etc. plus, i will be modding it.

any game that is too involved i'll play on 360.

9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm not a Wii fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I think you're going to miss out on some very good games with this point of view. The best games on the Wii completely disregard the Wiimote, which is commentary in and of itself.

SoldierOfLight90 likes this.
  10. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    don't get me wrong, i'll play the mario games, etc. but i'm looking more for games that don't "disregard the wii-mote." i started the thread to see which of those games were any fun, even if they have little replay value.

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It depends on what level of interaction you're looking for. Not everything tries to be Red Steel.

Motion control in most games is going to be or feel tacked on, in all honesty. Mario Galaxy and Super Paper Mario make use of some gestures, but just so Nintendo could say they use motion control, and not because the games actually needed them. Metroid Prime 3 makes pretty good use of the Wiimote as an FPS controller, so much so that Nintendo ported Prime 1 and 2 to the Wii so they could take advantage of the same control layout.

Oh the other hand, when you look up "tacked on" in the dictionary, you'll see a photograph of Twilight Princess and a Wiimote.

#1 fan likes this.
  12. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    ok, as for interaction, i figured punchout would be the best for boxing, mariokart for racing, house of the dead for shooting, 2k10 for swinging a bat, ea active for cardio, but i'm not sure. since i'll be modding the system, i'm really up for any recommendations. i'm actually looking for red steel type games.

13. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Mario Kart's control is actually pretty annoying. It's too sensitive.

I'd imagine that you could get all the motion control you want from Wii Sports. Pretty much every game on the Wii that makes use of the Wiimote does so in a very superficial manner. The games that try to tie the motion controls directly to the action on screen are generally reviled. Red Steel is a punchline, not a landmark.

Really, I would worry about whether or not the games are any fun, not whether or not they make good use of the motion controls. Wii Sports will give you all the motion you want.