1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To the Guru's. How does Anthony Barr compare to Dion Jordan?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bjorn, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    I see Anthony Barr is being regarded as one of the top, if not the top De/OLB for this next draft. How does he compare to Jordan, and who would you prefer?

2. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I'd rather have Barr, but I could see why people would prefer Jordan as he was/is a more complete player coming out and should be able to thrive against both the run and the pass in the future when he adds some weight and gets his shoulder 100% (and the coaches trust him out there).

Both are similar in the fact that they were recruited as offensive players (WR/HB for Barr and TE for Jordan) and were moved to the defensive side. Jordan has more height to him (6'6 and 248), but Barr is more built for his size (6'4 and 248). Neither is that good at defending the run currently, but Jordan clearly looked better defending the run in college compared to Barr so far. I think if Jordan gets up to 265 to 270 he will be able to defend the run much better and if he adds some power moves he could be incredible. That being said, Barr has elite athleticism. Barr can be frustrating to watch at times though because he has a hard time disengaging blocks, would rather try to run around traffic than through it, can't seem to contain the edge, and made numerous bad decisions on zone read plays towards his side.

All in all, it depends on the role you are looking for them to play though. I think if you want an every down 4-3 DE Jordan wins hands down. You want a 3-4 LB that you ask to defend the pass, run, and blitz I'd be tempted to give the edge to Jordan. That being said, if you are looking for a 3-4 LB to blitz and send after the QB every single play I would want Barr.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Their both exceptional prospects..both play a similar game...Barr is the better pass rusher, Jordan better in coverage..they both have great range..explosive measurables...it's a verry tough question cause Dion gives you some extra size, but at this point I would say anthony Barr is the more instinctive football player..