1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by bbqpitlover, Oct 16, 2019.

Ryan Tannehill is...

1. A terrible QB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A below average QB

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. An average QB

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. An above average QB

39 vote(s)
    55.7%
  5. An elite QB

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  6. The GOAT.

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Cashvillesent and Fin-O like this.
  2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    lateral move at best, they will be looking to draft a quarterback soon.

titans have had two top 10 draft picks at quarterbacks in the last 8 years, Mariota and Locker. And they may be seeing their third one real soon.

Cashvillesent likes this.
  3. Phins_to_Win

Phins_to_Win Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. He actually didn't do bad in last weeks game. He moved them into scoring position a couple of times and the interception was on 4th and 11 just trying to make a play in desperation time.

I think the offensive line is going to be an Achilles heel for him there, just as it was here. But they have a pretty good defense. If he can muster even an avg QB showing they might be able to win some games and be playing some meaningful games deep into the season. at 2 and 4 they are probably not winning the division, but wildcard might be within reach.

Irishman likes this.
  4. The Guy

The Guy Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    That's nothing new for Tannehill.

He's made his living in non-clutch situations and/or against poorer pass defenses, which never augured well for success in the playoffs.

mooseguts likes this.
  5. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Hmmm, so based on 3 out of the 4 posts in this thread, I suppose we're going to get our first win?

6. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I actually followed a bit of that game once he got in there. Yes....Absolutely, same old Ryan Tannehill. Looked brilliant and poised at times like a great QB should, and then would take a sack and fold under the pressure. He'd lose that pocket presence, and then on a 4th and 11 that a great QB can sometimes convert, he threw a pick. Still....I hope he does well for them if given further opportunity. I'm never going to not root for the guy.

7. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    And the 4th down was the clutch situation, where he failed, embedded in the garbage time, where he succeeded in general. Same old pattern.

mooseguts likes this.
  8. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I'm telling ya, stay away from those Oregon QB's. Something is just lacking with those guys. And yes I'm talking about Herbert.

9. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Well tannehill has had past success against the chargers and the chargers showed me they cant tackle .. so who knows..

10. Irishman

Irishman Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    Makes you want to consider the value in tanking for a QB.

Of course with fans, their jobs are not on the line and they can blame everyone but themselves when a selection doesn't pan out.

It will be interesting to see how he performed when the season is over. Especially when you consider where we are with our QB's and who or whom we pick in the draft. It will then be interesting to see how well we perform with whoever ends up playing QB in 2020 and 2021for Miami.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Got Mariota way wrong coming out of the draft..

Got Tannehill way right..

Fin-O, Bumrush, RGF and 2 others like this.
  12. mooseguts

mooseguts Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2018
    At this point I think he's better than Mariota but he'll never be the guy.

resnor likes this.
  13. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    But but...he won the Heisman Trophy!!!!

Irishman likes this.
  14. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Next test is Darnold. That's one we disagree on (I think he's at best average, same as Mariota, while you think he could be way better).

btw.. it's pretty rare for a QB to end up "great" so even guys who are above average at talent eval will get more wrong than right with QB's. Worth remembering that it's not the percentage of your hits and misses in a vacuum that counts.. have to always compare to others.

Irishman, resnor and Surfs Up 99 like this.
  15. Phins_to_Win

Phins_to_Win Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    I hear you but I want to see if that pattern continues now that he is away from this team and its less then stellar record of putting people in positions to succeed. I never thought Tanny was elite, but I still believe he is good/above average QB. IF Titans ask him to just do his part they might find some success with him. Of course at this point its more of a curiosity, if he isn't going to help my team win then there isn't a ton of value in him lighting it up now.

resnor and Irishman like this.
  16. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    In my opinion the only way Tannehill stands a chance of making any noise in the playoffs is if he’s on a team that’s asking him to do very little offensively and he can therefore play an Alex Smith-type game, and that’s accompanied by one of the best if not the best pass defenses in the league. Only then is he going to be able to compete with the elite quarterbacks he would face in the playoffs.

You might get some elevated play out of him during the regular season amidst some better surroundings, but that isn’t going to mean **** come playoff time unless these other factors are present. He’s not going to go out there in the playoffs and outduel Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes unless his own pass defense can shut them down.

mooseguts, Pauly and RGF like this.
  17. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I was a Tannehill supporter for a long time before I soured on him towards the end of his tenure here. This post is spot on as far as I'm concerned. He can hold his own and be competent IF the pieces around him fit perfectly.

xphinfanx, Irishman and The Guy like this.
  18. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    So on one side of the fence there's a Ryan Tannehill thread...and on the other side of the fence there's a Kyler Murray thread.

#DolphinsRightNow

19. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    And unfortunately the likelihood of assembling those pieces is fairly low, which is why Super Bowls in this era are almost never won by average QBs.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Eli Manning won 2

xphinfanx and Irishman like this.
  21. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    Right, and Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, and Brad Johnson each won one.

The rest of the past 25 -- or 80% of them -- have been won by Hall of Famers.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Yea but two of those were Kurt Warner

Irishman likes this.
  23. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    He is a Hall of Famer.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    But an average quarterback

Irishman likes this.
  25. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    And a bunch were won by the same QB. You make it sound worse than it actually is. It's not like there's 25 other QBs. Brady has how many of the past 25? LOL

xphinfanx likes this.
  26. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    Obviously that opinion isn’t shared by the Hall of Fame voters.

27. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    And that makes it an even worse prospect for the average quarterback, because it indicates that there is a small group of exceptionally good quarterbacks that have a much stronger likelihood of winning Super Bowls, even to the tune of repeat wins.

mooseguts likes this.
  28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Fits your description of Tannehill

29. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Or it's actually a higher percentage of non HoFers winning Super Bowls this era than you were attempting to represent. 4 out 25 is worse than 4 out of 12 (not sure the exact, but take Brady's 6 out and Warners 2 leaves 12-14 other QBs). So it's actually better odds that you can win a Super Bowl with an non elite QB than most people probably think.

Irishman likes this.
  30. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    Well sure, if you exclude certain Super Bowls from consideration, then of course you’re left with an entirely different percentage.

By the same token, if you choose to exclude the Super Bowls that average quarterbacks have won, then you’re left with average quarterbacks’ having won 0% of them.

mooseguts likes this.
  31. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Kurt Warner an average QB?? If Warner is "average" then there are almost no above average QB's!

Obviously his performance during the "greatest show on turf" is well known. He came in #1 in passer rating rankings twice and #3 once during 1999-2001. The z-scores for those years are 3, 1.7 and 2.3 which is absolutely elite level that very few ever reach (especially that 3).

But you can ignore those 3 years and ask what his career z-score would be otherwise, and it's 0.5716 which is a solid above average level for a QB. Maybe adjusted ratings are easier to intuit than z-scores. That 0.5716 is a 100.5 rating in 2018. That was Kurt Warner's average when excluding his 3 best years. Include all his years and it's an average z-score of 1.19 or 108.2 rating.

You can look at individual years too and it's impressive. Once again ignore the "greatest show on turf" years and he has only 1 year that was statistically below average among seasons where he started 5+ games: an adjusted 77.9 rating for 2002. That was done with different teams, coaches and surrounding casts, and he didn't have a great surrounding cast most of the time. I mean.. he was well above average statistically in 6 of those 7 years despite having a losing record in 4 of them!

Absolutely no justification for calling Kurt Warner average. Guy was elite for several years and otherwise solidly above average.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  32. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    And fans here want his left handed clone Tua with the first pick...

33. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Tua doesn't really have the decision making and accuracy issues that you sometimes saw with Mariota. Really the only knock against Tua is that he's on such a good team you just don't know how he'll do when he's not on one. Wasn't the case with Mariota. And I personally value decision making and accuracy FAR more than raw physical ability in QB's (which btw is why I don't think Darnold will be very good).

Tua simply has a higher floor than Mariota did. Much less likely to just be average, though I agree it's hard to tell if he'll ever be "great".

mooseguts likes this.
  34. Irishman

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    Hall of Fame players in any sport are subjective choices. There is not a one to one equivalency between who was the best at a position and who got into the Hall of Fame.

Being on a Superbowl team helps, but that is based on a taem result in combination with an individuals overall effort.

There are players who are not in the Hall of Fame who were better then some players at the same position who made it in.

I recall there is even a list of players who should be in the Hall of Fame, but aren't. I'll leave it to you to re-discover that list.

resnor likes this.
  35. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    That really doesn’t have any meaning with regard to the present conversation unless you’re prepared to deconstruct the fact that 20 of the past 25 quarterbacks to win Super Bowls have been present or future Hall of Famers, by indicating which of those 20 quarterbacks should not have been or won’t be Hall of Famers.

In the end you’re left with 80% of the past 25 Super Bowl winners’ being quarterbacks who have been or will be designated to have significantly greater individual ability than the other five Super Bowl winning quarterbacks, again unless you’re willing to deconstruct that.

What you’re saying in essence is that Hall of Fame designation may not be valid because it’s subjectively determined, but you’ve provided no argument for invalidity in that regard, with regard to the present conversation.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  36. Irishman

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    I'm afraid you missed my point. Teams win Superbowls, not QB's!

37. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Tanny will do nothing for the Titans, but win a couple games and drop their draft position, which is good for Miami.

Speaking of old Miami QBs, Matt Moore is playing tonight for the Chefs. Mahomes got hurt.

38. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Trade Fitzpatrick to the Chiefs.

39. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007
    Could trade Rosen at this point. Would be interesting with the weapons they have, how he'd do. Cheap backup if nothing else, which is also a reason to keep him in Miami.

40. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007
    Well, Matt can still throw a nice deep pass. Chefs up 27-6.