Titans, Haynesworth far apart on deal
44 replies
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=65845
Could Haynesworth end up in Miami if no deal is reached before his FA on the 27th. .
Would you all be happy for him to come over or do you think we should go in a different direction?
Is his temper too much for a parcells led regime. .
WOW! Haynesworth and Porter on the same D would be volitile and scary! I don't know though, if they had him in maybe they could have some success without the ugliness returning. Happens every year and him and Ferg would be a HELLUVA combo! If I had to choose though I'd rather sign Karlos Dansby or both would be a dream!
I'd rather continue getting younger.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
I would LOVE to have Haynesworth in Miami. He may be THE most dominant defensive player in the league, period.
That being said... the chances of the Titans letting him test free agency are, IMHO, extremely slim... and if he does, in fact, hit free agency, we'd be in a bidding war with over half the league to land him. His contract is going to be ridiculous.
The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese
"anlgp wrote:
I'd rather continue getting younger.
I'd rather continue getting better.
"PhinGeneral wrote:
I'd rather continue getting better.
you can get better and younger.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"anlgp wrote:
you can get better and younger.
You can, but too many people automatically equate getting younger with getting better. IMO, it's a big mistake to just dismiss a player for the sake of getting younger. Besides, Haynesworth will only be 28 by the time the season starts. You really want to turn a blind eye to one of the best defensive players in the NFL who's just entering the peak of his career? I can think of other reasons to be leery of him, but age isn't one of them.
"PhinGeneral wrote:
You can, but too many people automatically equate getting younger with getting better. IMO, it's a big mistake to just dismiss a player for the sake of getting younger. Besides, Haynesworth will only be 28 by the time the season starts. You really want to turn a blind eye to one of the best defensive players in the NFL who's just entering the peak of his career? I can think of other reasons to be leery of him, but age isn't one of them.
Hasn't Haynsworth been having more frequent injury problems the past couple season? I know this year for sure he did. For a big guy who has trouble staying on the field, it woudl be a sad loss if you overpaid a bidding war for him, relied on him and then had to cope without his services should he go down. Thats a big risk imo, and who's saying you couldn't draft a guy who would be 23 who could end up being coached right and have the same impact as Haynsworth in a couple years?
I don't think the price is worth the risk. There's no denying when he's in, he's an incredible football player but you really have to trust he'd stay healthy and for that kind of mega contract he'll be asking for i dont' think its worth it. Give me 3-4 younger healthier players at several positions anyday.
I love our homerism on this board, were willing to dismiss a great player because deep down, we want our own guy, a true dolphin that bleeds the aqua......i understand.

I woudn't want him, I still remember that play where he kicked off a guys helmet and stomped on his face.

"Ultra wrote:
I woudn't want him, I still remember that play where he kicked off a guys helmet and stomped on his face.
If he were playing for the Dolphins and that was Tom Brady's face would you feel the same way?
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
does he give 100% all the time?
after he gets the big money does he shut down?
i'll bring in young guys who are chomping at the bit to get an NFL job.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
The man is a beast at his position, much respected by the rest of the NFL in terms of his talent, i dont feel a strong vibe about him though, is he a team player?, can we repsect his personality?, iam not the kind of fan that will sell my soul just for talent.

"The Aqua Crush wrote:
Hasn't Haynsworth been having more frequent injury problems the past couple season? I know this year for sure he did. For a big guy who has trouble staying on the field, it woudl be a sad loss if you overpaid a bidding war for him, relied on him and then had to cope without his services should he go down. Thats a big risk imo, and who's saying you couldn't draft a guy who would be 23 who could end up being coached right and have the same impact as Haynsworth in a couple years?
I don't think the price is worth the risk. There's no denying when he's in, he's an incredible football player but you really have to trust he'd stay healthy and for that kind of mega contract he'll be asking for i dont' think its worth it. Give me 3-4 younger healthier players at several positions anyday.
I did say there were other reasons to be leery of him, and I'm not saying he isn't a risk, but I think the notion that you can just go out and get a young, hungry kid to man the position is a leap of faith in and of itself.
Dominant players just don't grow on trees. I'm very confident in Ireland and Parcell's drafting acumen, but they're not perfect. I don't know if Haynesworth is the guy for this team, but sooner or later we're probably going to have to make at least one investment in a free agent that's a proven commodity.
I really dont want Albert Haynsworth. I would like to get younger and Albert Haynsworth some time can be a distraction.
"anlgp wrote:
does he give 100% all the time?
after he gets the big money does he shut down?
i'll bring in young guys who are chomping at the bit to get an NFL job.
If the Patriots were that afraid of taking a chance they never would have reaped the benefits Randy Moss gave them, unless you actually think the younger Chad Jackson was just not given a fair opportunity.
How do we pay for this guy? We have many of our players to resign, so I can't see how would could afford this guy.
"PhinGeneral wrote:
If the Patriots were that afraid of taking a chance they never would have reaped the benefits Randy Moss gave them, unless you actually think the younger Chad Jackson was just not given a fair opportunity.
we'll take a chance at someone. if the FO picks haynesworth they've got my confidence (and they might) but I'd just rather us draft guys. if we have to pick a vet FA we should do it at the WR spot in my opinion because that's where we're lacking more than a vet at T.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"anlgp wrote:
we'll take a chance at someone. if the FO picks haynesworth they've got my confidence (and they might) but I'd just rather us draft guys. if we have to pick a vet FA we should do it at the WR spot in my opinion because that's where we're lacking more than a vet at T.
I am with you bro. I would rather draft a guy because I feel sense we are rebuilding you would abously want to be younger. But if we were take a chance on a free agent I would want Bart Scott or a veteran wide reciver. I think al our wide reciver would be better if we could get a good vet in here to teach them some things.
Haynesworth
:up: As said in a previous post! Haynes and Porter on same D would be wicked.
I'd love him to come def what team would not want him?
:theman:Porter and Haynesworth we can dream!
UK Phin Mad!!! Wembley Dolphins 2nd home!!!
It would be difficult for me to be disappointed or upset if we were to sign arguably the best defensive lineman in the league.


"Brown42000 wrote:
It would be difficult for me to be disappointed or upset if we were to sign arguably the best defensive lineman in the league.
Really? I could easily argue that all day long. Exactly what are you basing that VERY bold statement on? I MIGHT consider him top 8 defensive tackle, but best overall defensive lineman in the league? Sorry, not even close. Probably not the best on his team alone.
IF he were that, do you think the Titans would pass ways with him so quickly?
"azfinfanmang wrote:
Really? I could easily argue that all day long. Exactly what are you basing that VERY bold statement on? I MIGHT consider him top 8 defensive tackle, but best overall defensive lineman in the league? Sorry, not even close. Probably not the best on his team alone.
IF he were that, do you think the Titans would pass ways with him so quickly?
What defensive linemen in the league are better then him right now? He is absolutely the best defense linemen on his team.
He has been one of the most disruptive forces in the game the past two seasons.


Everyone wants a young version of Haynesworth. The problem is that its very unlikely we will get that in the draft. Even if we did you won't see that type of production from that player until a few years down the road. Haynesworth himself didn't bust out of the gates playing like he has the past few years. So I don't see the point in not going after him just because you want a younger version of a guy who is only 28. That would be like having the Pats offer us Tom Brady and us saying "na, we're going to get a younger Brady in the draft because the real one isn't 25."
The biggest problem I'd have in pursuing Haynesworth is the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4. I'd think he is capable. But is he willing? Even if he is both of those things how long does it take him to make the transition?