1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to sell your gold and silver?

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by padre31, May 13, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, it seems to me Bro Muck doesn't want "investment" advice per se on this forum as back in the day forums were used to hype stocks.

However Gold and Silver are not stocks so I'm curious what the opinion on thePhins is towards selling one's precious metals whilst the price has spiked, or whether more increases in price are in store for the "barberous relic"?

Rockefeller once famously commented 'you can never go wrong taking a profit, only suckers hold out for top dollar"

2. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Dude hold on to it.....the dollar is failing, the whole EU is going to go bankrupt...the euro is going to crash.....this administration is doing things that just doesnt jive with economics....at some point the thing is going to shut down..

Hold on to your metals people!!!! they are going to go up up up.....

padre31 likes this.
  3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The dollar is only getting stronger at this point.

Precious metals should always be part of your portfolio, but IMO the gold bubble will burst at some point.

If someone is just holding gold and silver, I would suggest maybe diversifying and getting some platinum and rhodium. Those two will have growing industrial demand, as well as demand as investors diversify their precious metal holdings.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, careful Bro, that sort of thinkeration is what led to millions holding underwater mortgages and IRA's and Roth IRA's being worth stugotz.

Point being, Gold has had two significant moves, in the early 2000's from 335 to right around 900 dollars, this second run up has seen GHU run up to 1,230+/-, at what point is taking a profit a good idea, and what is the ceiling on Gold?

Silver is a bonanza BTW, 5 bucks an OZ back in the early 2000's it is now worth 4x's that, and still has not recaptured it's pre 2008 high.

So if one did have a pile of PM's, and sold them, what would be the next logical investment?

Stocks? TIPS, Market index funds?

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, from someone engaged in the scrap metals business I'll have to ask your pardon..:D

Seriously though, if one liquidates their PM's to take a profit then have another vehicle to invest those funds into, preferably (imho) a offshore high growth Fund as the dollar is not "strengthening" far from it, as more debt will be issued to pay for .Gov prgorams, as the dollar weakens De Facto offshore companies will rake in huge dollar denominated profits as long as they have Pricing Power...As good "X" grows cheaper in dollars for the producing country, but demand remains high in the US so "X" can double dip profits things will turn out to be quite lovely for those who make that move.

6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

Real Estate.........provided you can make that move you know??

I like GM, once it can be public bought and sold again.....when it comes back on the market (you cant buy it and sell it right now), if you can get back in it for under 10 bucks, I think you win big time Pads....GM as we know went bankrupt, and is esstentially a penny stock right now, however they paid their debt off, and are getting back on their feet...much like Ford....did, now look Ford....GM isnt even GM right now, it is Motors Liq Co...

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/GM