1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tight Ends Lead Way for Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by njfinfan, Dec 22, 2008.

1. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    Tight ends lead way for Dolphins

Tony Gonzalez caught seven passes for 64 yards and a touchdown Sunday for Kansas City, about what you'd expect from one of the most productive tight ends in NFL history.

Anthony Fasano and David Martin combined for four catches and three Miami touchdowns. That's an even better day for Chad Pennington's tight ends, considering the Dolphins won 38-31 and they did it on a brutally cold and windblown December day that was quite literally the polar opposite of Miami's past three games, indoors against St. Louis and Buffalo and in South Florida against San Francisco.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Without Martin and Fasano, we would have very little passing offense in the Red Zone, we are lucky to have two Te's who can catch the ball, and Martin can get deep for us, that is rare in Te's today.

3. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Yesterday, Fasano briefly reminded me of one of my favorite NFL players ever.....Mark Bavaro. Great effort and determination.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I still can't believe how little we gave up to get Fasano. He's been great this season. As a blocker and a receiver.

xer0 likes this.
  5. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm still trying to figure out what happened to David Martin between last season and this season. Was he just not getting coached properly last season?

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Possibly. He looks in better shape this year and looks to have better concentration in my opinion.

djphinfan likes this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Believe it or not, David Martin had more receptions last season then this year.

And between the two, Fasano and Martin, they have 900 yds and 9 td's...throw in Haynos and Te's are outperforming the Wr corps...

And Fasano has double the number of receptions for us, then he ever had in Dallas, and the real kicker is, Offensive Coordinator Dan Henning has never had a Te catch more then 30 balls or so, now he has 2...and that is in 25 years of coaching in the NFL...

Disnardo likes this.
  8. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Not only in his play.....I watched his PC following the Sparano presser today, and I tell you what, I did a double take seeing him out of uniform and helmet....I swear its a young Bavaro.

Loved that guy growing up in NJ, and watching Giants (My Dads favorite team).

:up:

jason8er likes this.
  9. xer0

xer0 xD

May 24, 2008
    Ohio
    Just a case of Jerry Jones not knowing what he had....thankfully it worked out in our favor. :up:

Granted Fasano hadn't been great during his tenure with the Cowboys but playing behind Jason Witten he's not going to get much of a chance to show what he had. I bet Jerry regretted trading Fasano earlier this season when Witten was hurt.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

Had three tight ends in the late eighties with 31+ balls caught and one in the nineties with 47. Whats interesting is that we've seen many people here say that Ronnie Brown hasn't been used out of the backfield a lot and I think that its not that surprising. Looking back at Dan's 25 years, going back to '82 (?), he's had running backs catch many balls, roughly between 30-40 receptions a year. Ronnie is at 29 and he's splitting time. Ricky has 28 receptions out of the backfield. When Henning had a feature back in the early eighties, he had 55 receptions out of the backfield. Ronnie and Ricky's total comes out to 57.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Te or H-Back Alen 1?

and that is surprising, when he had Neal Anderson in San Diego, he did catch passes out of the backfield and lined up at Wr pretty consistently.

I see our Te production as more of a function of Chad Pennington's comfort zone and our Talent at Wr not being very proven at the beginning of the season so Martin was the best of the bunch to start the season and Fasano was the only guy we had in the first few games.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Tight End. One mistake I made in the statistics was that it was 41 grabs, not 47.

Please call me Alen. :)

I completely agree with that.

13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    yea, and Fasano got to learn from one of the best tight ends in the game. And it's paying off for him.

14. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thats not entirely accurate Padre. Henning has had a TE catch 30 or more balls 4 times in 25 years (not including this year). :up:

15. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Having two good tight ends who can catch the ball will be huge this week with the Jets struggling to stop opposing teams tight ends.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It'll be an interesting battle of the tight ends. Dustin Keller, who can't block worth a lick, does a good job of stretching the field. He's quick and a good pass catcher.

17. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The only thing about Keller is that he has seen his playing time diminish as the season has wore on. He was barely on the field on Sunday against the Seahawks. It could be because of his blocking as the Jets run very well, and are better when they run first and pass second.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Possibly. They played in heavy weather as well so they may have been pounding it, keeping him off the field as you say, they run first and pass second. If the weather is fair then they could keep him in the game or split him in the slot and let him stretch the field.