1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thyroid cancer concerns...

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by Colorado Dolfan, Aug 9, 2013.

1. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    good luck bro!

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thoughts and prayers sent to you and your family! Sounds like your daughter has a great family supporting her through this and a great attitude. A positive outlook can make all the difference in getting through / dealing with any kind of illness. Best of luck!!!

3. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Latest biopsy results show NO CANCER!!! :party:

Happier than anyone could imagine, but now we're not sure what we're dealing with...

Gonna take it one day at a time and keep up on it.

Really appreciate the support here!

ToddPhin, MonstBlitz, SICK and 4 others like this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Colorado!

SICK and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Cheers!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

6. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Wonderful news. I will lift up thanks! Please know that my prayers and best wishes will continue until an answer and positive resolution occur!

7. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    congratulations bro!

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Awesome news brother!!!

9. Ohiophinphan

Any update Colorado? BTW, are you and your family affected by the water in your state?

10. Colorado Dolfan

Sorry for the lateness of this response.

We've been doing everything we could to figure out what exactly is going on with my daughter's thyroid. We eventually ended up changing doctors to get a second opinion and found out through a new ultrasound that she had another nodule on the left side of her thyroid that grew in about six months.

Our new doctor was fantastic, double checked the original nodule on the right side and felt that it had actually mostly gone away or just wasn't as much of a concern. It took a lot of time for our original doctors to finally get the original biopsy to the new doc and when he had his pathologist check it out, determined it to have a 100% chance of being cancerous. The concern, then, was the second nodule that had grown dramatically and he gave my daughter the option of continuing the wait and see option of ultrasounds, biopsies, and checkups vs a thyroidectomy.

She chose to have her thyroid removed. My wife and I feel that this is probably the best decision as well. The cancerous cells along with a new nodule with an unknown cause is just too alarming to let it keep going, despite papillary thyroid cancer being pretty easy to treat even if the cancer metastasises to other parts of her body...

We don't have an exact date as we need to speak with the surgeon(s) that will be performing the surgery, but thoughts, prayers, and well wishes are once again greatly appreciated.

11. Ohiophinphan

Thank you for filling us in. I am sorry the news was not more positive but you seem to have a good plan in place. I will continue to pray for the surgeon's skill and your daughter's quick and complete recovery.

12. Colorado Dolfan

Thanks. We're just glad we finally have some answers so we know what we're fighting. Like I said previously, Kendra's a tough girl. Despite everything she's been going through, she still has maintained a 3.75 GPA, worked a summer job at a daycare center, volunteered in the community and just generally kept a positive attitude!

So proud of the strong young woman she is turning into in front of my eyes!

bigbry, Sethdaddy8 and Ohiophinphan like this.
  13. Colorado Dolfan

Pre-op appointment scheduled for Thursday. We'll see what the surgeons have to say... :)

unluckyluciano and Ohiophinphan like this.
  14. Ohiophinphan

You remain in my prayers. Keep us in the loop. We will support all of you how ever we are able.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  15. Colorado Dolfan

Surgery scheduled for Wednesday, October 8. Will be staying up in Denver Tuesday night through Thursday afternoon... I'll keep y'all updated!

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  16. Ohiophinphan

Are they planning on removing the entire thyroid, a portion, and/or just the tumors? Whatever it is, you have my prayers and best wishes for all of you.

17. Colorado Dolfan

Removing the whole thing. Since there are the tumors on both sides, doc thought it advisable to go that route... Funny thing is that we went with a new doctor because the old doctor had recommended removing the right lobe and then backed out of that... Thankfully he did since the left lobe also grew a nodule so only one surgery instead of two...

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  18. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    To donate to Colorado Dolfan's daughter's surgery

http://www.gofundme.com/f40qrg

SICK and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  19. Arodgers12

Arodgers12 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Oh man sorry to hear about this. I hope they get it out of there. I think the thyroid is the most treatable kind of cancer but hope they can treat it. God bless you guys and I will be praying.

20. Colorado Dolfan

Thanks, man! Always appreciated!

21. Arodgers12

Arodgers12 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Always here for you man.

22. Colorado Dolfan

About 14 hours from Kendra's surgery and I'm starting to get a little nervous.

I'm sure all is going to go very well, but knowing my baby girl is going to be unconscious for 3+ hours while doctors are working on her just doesn't feel right.

I definitely appreciate all the continuing good thoughts and prayers. :)

unluckyluciano and 305 like this.
  23. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Hope all goes well, bud.

24. Ohiophinphan

We continue to pray for all of you and for the medical team. We await a report....

25. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    good luck bro!

26. Colorado Dolfan

Thanks all!

We're checked in for pre-op... Surgery in about 1 1/2 hours...

27. Colorado Dolfan

Surgery underway. Hopefully finished within s couple of hours.

28. Ohiophinphan

Whatever time they gave you, add an hour to an hour and a half. Doctors typically talk about surgeries thinking about their time in the theater. They forget about prep, post, and even sometimes recovery. The last could take 90 minutes or more.

Keep reading online, walk around, get a book, go to the chapel, or whatever. Just let yourself veg until the doctor comes out and then expect another wait until you can see her.

You all remain in my prayers.

dolphindebby and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  29. Colorado Dolfan

Finished the surgery. All went well, but central lymph nodes did not look normal, so those got removed as well.

She's still in recovery, probably be about thirty minutes before we can go back and see her.

30. Colorado Dolfan

Back with Kendra now. She's pretty groggy and, thankfully, not in too much pain!

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  31. Ohiophinphan

Good news. You now will have a 24-72 hour wait while they do a biopsy on the tissues involved. That will determine the post-operative protocols regarding radiation, chemo, substitute medication, and so on.

The prayers will be ongoing. Thankfully this part is done.

32. Colorado Dolfan

Finally heading home. Poor girl broke down a few hours ago after yet another doctor came in to check on her with no mention of discharging her...

She's definitely overly tired and ready to be in her home surroundings for some good rest!

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  33. Ohiophinphan

No one "rests" in a hospital. Glad she is home and hopefully recovering from the surgery itself. :yes: Continued blessings to all of you.:up:

34. Ohiophinphan

Any word on the biopsy????

35. Colorado Dolfan

Nothing yet... Waiting with bated breath... :(

36. Ohiophinphan

our prayers remain

37. Colorado Dolfan

Got a call early this morning from Kendra's surgeon, but weren't home to get the call. Called back, but, of course, he's in surgery.

My wife sent an email to Kendra's endocrinologist in the hopes that he had gotten the results back. He had, but was in a meeting in the Netherlands, but still took the time to give us the information.

Right lobe was definitely cancerous, tumor was only about pea-sized and thankfully had not metastasized. Her lymph nodes were clean, as was the left nodule, though the left showed some signs of being precancerous.

Next up, more appointments to make certain her medication is where it needs to be and keep her healthy!

38. Ohiophinphan

The clear lymph nodes are huge! You will need to discover whether the doctors think a prophylactic regimen of radiation is called for. Otherwise, just getting the thyroid replacement meds will take a little while to get balanced but that is a well understood protocol and should work easily.

Best wishes and blessings to you and your family.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  39. Ohiophinphan

How are things going? Prayers remain.

40. Colorado Dolfan

Just had her follow up with the surgeon. Took some blood to test her calcium levels to make sure there was no permanent damage to the parathyroid... Incision is healing very well. She's gaining more motion in her neck and she seems to be sleeping better...

Her endocrinologist wants to see her mid December to check on her...

Very proud of how she's been handling this!

[​IMG]