1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three Potential Late Round Quarterbacks I'm Interested In

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by KB21, Feb 12, 2012.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    If the Dolphins do sign Matt Flynn like I think they should, this allows them to use a late round pick on a developmental quarterback much like Green Bay did when they took Matt Flynn. There are three quarterbacks that I have my eyes on as potential late round prospects that have at least something that is a redeeming quality that makes them projectable.

1. Stephen Garcia, 6'2", 232 lbs, South Carolina - Stephen has good size and an above average skill set. From a physical standpoint, he strikes me as the type of quarterback that Joe Philbin would like to have around. This is a player that can move around within the pocket and make some plays with his feet if needed. He's a guy that can play when he doesn't have a clean pocket. He has an above average arm. Stephen had a great junior year and then crapped out as a senior. His biggest problem is that he is an alcoholic. He is currently trying to convince people that he has matured, but I'm not sure he has realized yet that he truly has a problem. I think he's still in that stage where he thinks his issues are just immaturity and not an addiction. If you take him, you have to hope he turns over a leaf like Josh Hamilton did, and even then, the temptation will always be there.

2. John Brantley, 6'3", 225 lbs, Florida - John's story is one of a college career that never really got on track. For his first three seasons at Florida, John Brantley was miscast in an offense that did not fit his drop back passing ability. John Brantley was not an option quarterback, and Urban Meyer did a poor job of adjusting his offense to fit John's ability. Then, just as Florida brings in an offensive coordinator that will run the type of offense he fits, he has an injury plagued senior season. Based on what I've been reading, John Brantley is showing a heck of an arm in pre draft workouts. That arm strength should get him drafted in the late rounds, and then a team will have to see what they have for down the road. This is a player who could be a late bloomer because of the circumstances he came from in college.

3. Jarrett Lee, 6'3", 210 lbs, LSU - Jarrett is an interesting player who had problems with turning the ball over previously but played very well, especially against tough competition during his senior year. For whatever reason, Les Miles never wanted to stick with him over Jordan Jefferson. This year, Lee was accurate and made plays at all levels of the field. He also avoided the costly turnovers that seemed to have plagued him prior to this season. He's got a strong arm, perhaps one of the stronger arms in the draft, and he has good feet. There is a lot to like with this guy, but he will be a late round to UDFA because he simply doesn't have a lot of experience.

Jcouch1021 and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  2. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    I like Brantley a lot I thought the after tow they would have changed the system but they didnt

3. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I like the Brantley a little. The other two I have zero interest in.

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Not thrilled with Lee. My gut feeling about Garcia is that it will take being cut by an NFL team or two before he has a chance to really make it. Brantley is physically talented but raw. He doesn't seem to have the intangibles, but seems to be a hard worker. He was in a system that fit him horribly for most of his college career. I really didn't see many flashes from him under Weis though. I do see him as one of those long shot types that might eventually develop four years down the road.

5. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Brantleys awful

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Jacorry Harris /thread

Pandarilla likes this.
  7. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus