Thoughts on the Dolphins/Ravens Bloodbath
197 replies
Be careful what you wish for- that's what I said last year in week 17 when folks were chanting to "Fire Gase!" And once we were obviously on the path of tanking thanks to Grier, I absolutely dreaded this day when I'd get to tell so many of you, "I told you so." So I'm just going to get it out of the way now with, "I told you so times sixteen!"
There's simply no way this club wins a game this season. And whether Flores is tanking or not, I really don't see how him or Grier can remain employed past this season. We are the absolute laughing stock of the league since we're outmatched at every possible angle.
For instance, did you see Preston Williams 1st NFL touchdown? Not the one that counted for points, mind you, but the one he caught over two defenders, secured all the way to the ground and had the ball ripped away after the fact? Yeah, that touchdown- one of the few highlights of the day. Why didn't Flores challenge it?
He couldn't find the darn challenge flag, so he sent out the field goal team instead. And a dozen plays later, when Baltimore "completed" a long pass that was bobbled and came out when the player hit the ground...we was still digging thru those pockets. That's our head coach folks, the defensive guru who allowed one of the highest scoring 1st halves in NFL history.
So I'll say it again- be careful what you wish for since most of you actually asked for THIS. Gase sucked winning only 7....so let's win zero instead and trust the guy who wrecked the entire franchise to rebuild it correctly. Did it look like Grier understood talent evaluation today? That was his line folks, his secondary. The only one who looked legit today (besides Howard) was our boy Reshad Jones....who they desperately tried to trade over the past two weeks.
Did you see our first punt? It was almost blocked by a guy coming straight over center. Yet we fired Denny, the team's leader on and off the field, because he questioned Grier's vision last week. That's who is steering this franchise folks, and Miami actually played their best football today. Imagine what it's going to look like in a few months when everyone has given up.
There were a few highlights today- Preston Williams is a superstar....and I have a feeling we will trade him before season's end. Why not, right? Fitzpatrick actually looked pretty darn good considering the level of pressure he faced as well. If you blame him personally for that interception, then maybe you need to realize how slow he is and how fast the guys trying to kill him are. I can't help but wonder who's decision it was to play Rosen- was it a coach or Fitz himself?
You can't ask a QB to take that level of punishment and still give a darn. You just can't.
Other positives- hmm. We were 1 for 1 on field goals, so that's something. We had a few nice punts. That's about all I have since this was like one of those Alabama vs Tulane college match-ups. And there's one thing that keep sticking in my mind- these guys tried hard today. They won't in a few weeks...and then what? It's possible that we could actually lose by triple digits this season.
Here's a stat for you- Baltimore averaged 1.2 points PER PLAY in the 1st half! Basketball teams don't average that folks. Historically, this was one of the worst defensive showings ever in the NFL and it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Can you folks now see why I said I was rooting for Cleveland this season? There's just nothing to possibly root for in Miami- Grier could care less about you or me or any of the franchise's fans. So take my lead and pick a 2nd favorite team to get you through these next 15 games, my friends, because most of us won't be able to stomach what's to come.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"KeyFin wrote:
Be careful what you wish for- that's what I said last year in week 17 when folks were chanting to "Fire Gase!" And once we were obviously on the path of tanking thanks to Grier, I absolutely dreaded this day when I'd get to tell so many of you, "I told you so." So I'm just going to get it out of the way now with, "I told you so times sixteen!"
There's simply no way this club wins a game this season. And whether Flores is tanking or not, I really don't see how him or Grier can remain employed past this season. We are the absolute laughing stock of the league since we're outmatched at every possible angle.
For instance, did you see Preston Williams 1st NFL touchdown? Not the one that counted for points, mind you, but the one he caught over two defenders, secured all the way to the ground and had the ball ripped away after the fact? Yeah, that touchdown- one of the few highlights of the day. Why didn't Flores challenge it?
He couldn't find the darn challenge flag, so he sent out the field goal team instead. And a dozen plays later, when Baltimore "completed" a long pass that was bobbled and came out when the player hit the ground...we was still digging thru those pockets. That's our head coach folks, the defensive guru who allowed one of the highest scoring 1st halves in NFL history.
So I'll say it again- be careful what you wish for since most of you actually asked for THIS. Gase sucked winning only 7....so let's win zero instead and trust the guy who wrecked the entire franchise to rebuild it correctly. Did it look like Grier understood talent evaluation today? That was his line folks, his secondary. The only one who looked legit today (besides Howard) was our boy Reshad Jones....who they desperately tried to trade over the past two weeks.
Did you see our first punt? It was almost blocked by a guy coming straight over center. Yet we fired Denny, the team's leader on and off the field, because he questioned Grier's vision last week. That's who is steering this franchise folks, and Miami actually played their best football today. Imagine what it's going to look like in a few months when everyone has given up.
There were a few highlights today- Preston Williams is a superstar....and I have a feeling we will trade him before season's end. Why not, right? Fitzpatrick actually looked pretty darn good considering the level of pressure he faced as well. If you blame him personally for that interception, then maybe you need to realize how slow he is and how fast the guys trying to kill him are. I can't help but wonder who's decision it was to play Rosen- was it a coach or Fitz himself?
You can't ask a QB to take that level of punishment and still give a darn. You just can't.
Other positives- hmm. We were 1 for 1 on field goals, so that's something. We had a few nice punts. That's about all I have since this was like one of those Alabama vs Tulane college match-ups. And there's one thing that keep sticking in my mind- these guys tried hard today. They won't in a few weeks...and then what? It's possible that we could actually lose by triple digits this season.
Here's a stat for you- Baltimore averaged 1.2 points PER PLAY in the 1st half! Basketball teams don't average that folks. Historically, this was one of the worst defensive showings ever in the NFL and it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Can you folks now see why I said I was rooting for Cleveland this season? There's just nothing to possibly root for in Miami- Grier could care less about you or me or any of the franchise's fans. So take my lead and pick a 2nd favorite team to get you through these next 15 games, my friends, because most of us won't be able to stomach what's to come.
Cleveland looked terrible
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
To be fair, I think Griers intention was to lose this year so I'm not sure it reflects on his evaluation skills. It just sucks ass.
Flores on the other hand I believe may be in over his head.
Emotions are running high and have been. Today was an embarrassment for sure. Whether we like it or not, I think we have at least 2, if not 3 years of Grier/Flores. It’s gonna be painful to watch but we have a super young team that is very inexperienced.
If I don’t see some improvement next year, then my opinion may change. Where they screwed up this year is none of us have any incentive to watch or attend a game this year. That’s 2-3 days worth of time back in your life courtesy of Grier!
"KeyFin wrote:
Be careful what you wish for- that's what I said last year in week 17 when folks were chanting to "Fire Gase!" And once we were obviously on the path of tanking thanks to Grier, I absolutely dreaded this day when I'd get to tell so many of you, "I told you so." So I'm just going to get it out of the way now with, "I told you so times sixteen!"
There's simply no way this club wins a game this season. And whether Flores is tanking or not, I really don't see how him or Grier can remain employed past this season. We are the absolute laughing stock of the league since we're outmatched at every possible angle.
So I'll say it again- be careful what you wish for since most of you actually asked for THIS. Gase sucked winning only 7....so let's win zero instead and trust the guy who wrecked the entire franchise to rebuild it correctly.
I don't think you get it. This is exactly what needs to happen to this franchise. Call it whatever you want, tanking or rebuilding, but we cannot be continuously mired in mediocrity for decades with QB's like Tannehill and coaches like Sparano, Philbin and Gase. You keep Gase and you stay 8-8. You keep Tannehill you stay 8-8 (all on average of course).
No, this is EXACTLY what was needed. So all this "I told you so" stuff is meaningless.
Now.. whether Flores is the right coach or not we'll see, but all these losses will be totally worth it if we pick #1 (or at worst #2) and get ourselves that franchise QB. It's not guaranteed that we succeed, but we'll have a LOT better chance of succeeding this way than by staying the course like you seem to have wanted us to do.
And btw.. great coach Gase lost a totally winnable game today with a QB that looks more like a bust than a franchise QB. Good riddance.
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
Cleveland looked terrible
LMAO, I didn't watch them since the Fins played at the same time....but I thought the same thing. Maybe I need to pick a different 2nd favorite team.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"KeyFin wrote:
LMAO, I didn't watch them since the Fins played at the same time....but I thought the same thing. Maybe I need to pick a different 2nd favorite team.
I am going for the Chiefs.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
You really don't want my thoughts on this game, it would be filled with language I prefer not to use.
"cbrad wrote:
I don't think you get it. This is exactly what needs to happen to this franchise. Call it whatever you want, tanking or rebuilding, but we cannot be continuously mired in mediocrity for decades with QB's like Tannehill and coaches like Sparano, Philbin and Gase. You keep Gase and you stay 8-8. You keep Tannehill you stay 8-8 (all on average of course).
No, this is EXACTLY what was needed. So all this "I told you so" stuff is meaningless.
Now.. whether Flores is the right coach or not we'll see, but all these losses will be totally worth it if we pick #1 (or at worst #2) and get ourselves that franchise QB. It's not guaranteed that we succeed, but we'll have a LOT better chance of succeeding this way than by staying the course like you seem to have wanted us to do.
And btw.. great coach Gase lost a totally winnable game today with a QB that looks more like a bust than a franchise QB. Good riddance.
This wasn't as much about Gase as it was a snake oil salesman telling our owner that by firing everyone, they could have a championship team in 2 or 3 years. And hey, maybe they can. But if we go 1-31 over the next two seasons because of that decision, how many butts will be in stadium seats? How many members will still be on this forum? While the approach may or may not actually work, I guarantee you a good 90% of the fan base will check out on this team by week 8.
Ross's "friends" up in the owner's box were laughing at him all afternoon....and those "friends" are really people he's trying to do business with. I promise you that he's not happy either...he never in a million years saw this coming (even though you and I as outsiders clearly did). There's simply no way Flores or Grier survive the season....not with this roster.
And for the record, I am not emotional right now...I actually laughed through most of the game. I mean, what else can you do when that's what Grier puts on the field? We have no trenches and you can't compete without them- everyone knows that except for Steven Ross and Grier.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"cbrad wrote:
I don't think you get it. This is exactly what needs to happen to this franchise. Call it whatever you want, tanking or rebuilding, but we cannot be continuously mired in mediocrity for decades with QB's like Tannehill and coaches like Sparano, Philbin and Gase. You keep Gase and you stay 8-8. You keep Tannehill you stay 8-8 (all on average of course).
No, this is EXACTLY what was needed. So all this "I told you so" stuff is meaningless.
Now.. whether Flores is the right coach or not we'll see, but all these losses will be totally worth it if we pick #1 (or at worst #2) and get ourselves that franchise QB. It's not guaranteed that we succeed, but we'll have a LOT better chance of succeeding this way than by staying the course like you seem to have wanted us to do.
And btw.. great coach Gase lost a totally winnable game today with a QB that looks more like a bust than a franchise QB. Good riddance.
Didn't we already do this in 2007? What did that get us? Yes, I know we went to the playoffs the next year and lost in round 1 and then back to mediocrity the next year. How is losing every game this year going to help us? Nothing ever changes with this team,
That was ugly.
Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.
"KeyFin wrote:
This wasn't as much about Gase as it was a snake oil salesman telling our owner that by firing everyone, they could have a championship team in 2 or 3 years. And hey, maybe they can. But if we go 1-31 over the next two seasons because of that decision, how many butts will be in stadium seats? How many members will still be on this forum? While the approach may or may not actually work, I guarantee you a good 90% of the fan base will check out on this team by week 8.
Ross's "friends" up in the owner's box were laughing at him all afternoon....and those "friends" are really people he's trying to do business with. I promise you that he's not happy either...he never in a million years saw this coming (even though you and I as outsiders clearly did). There's simply no way Flores or Grier survive the season....not with this roster.
And for the record, I am not emotional right now...I actually laughed through most of the game. I mean, what else can you do when that's what Grier puts on the field? We have no trenches and you can't compete without them- everyone knows that except for Steven Ross and Grier.
I have to say I hate “fans” like you. We all knew what we were going to be and you come in crowing like you called a home rum shot in the ninth with bases loaded. Sit at home and enjoy yourself laughing.
Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.
I will be rooting for the Eagles this year.
I'm a 76ers fan for the NBA (some of you may know this), and I just got through what they called "the process" up in Philly. We had four consecutive putrid years of losing and now they are a contending playoff team on a yearly basis. Those four years of constant losing were absolutely awful. I remember saying I would never want to go through this again with one of my favorite sports teams and yet here I sit, a Dolphins fan, a fan of a team that may end up being historically the worst EVER in all of sports.
I hope...Flores can regroup and get us ready for a better showing next week. I cannot do 40 point losses all season long just to get the first pick in the draft. It just shouldn't have to be this painful. I realize that some of you love this! But I can't share your enthusiasm for losing in the most horrific fashion. I certainly hope all those draft picks work out well for us....Or will we trade those away too? Like I said, losing sucks and it's absolutely embarrassing being a follower of this team right now. I will be an Eagles fan for the season and that is that.
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
I am going for the Chiefs.
Yeah, I'm thinking the Bears now. My best friend's dad just passed and it was his favorite team, so it's a good fill-in for the season. Go Bears!
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"KeyFin wrote:
This wasn't as much about Gase as it was a snake oil salesman telling our owner that by firing everyone, they could have a championship team in 2 or 3 years. And hey, maybe they can. But if we go 1-31 over the next two seasons because of that decision, how many butts will be in stadium seats? How many members will still be on this forum? While the approach may or may not actually work, I guarantee you a good 90% of the fan base will check out on this team by week 8.
Ross's "friends" up in the owner's box were laughing at him all afternoon....and those "friends" are really people he's trying to do business with. I promise you that he's not happy either...he never in a million years saw this coming (even though you and I as outsiders clearly did). There's simply no way Flores or Grier survive the season....not with this roster.
And for the record, I am not emotional right now...I actually laughed through most of the game. I mean, what else can you do when that's what Grier puts on the field? We have no trenches and you can't compete without them- everyone knows that except for Steven Ross and Grier.
If Ross didn't see this coming it just proves he is the biggest moron in the planet.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"canesz06 wrote:
Didn't we already do this in 2007? What did that get us? Yes, I know we went to the playoffs the next year and lost in round 1 and then back to mediocrity the next year. How is losing every game this year going to help us? Nothing ever changes with this team,
But why did that happen? In 2008 we had for the only time since Marino retired an actual "franchise" QB with the quotations in there because he lasted only one year. Pennington was actually ranked #2 in passer rating in the league in 2008. Then he got injured and we were back into our typical world of mediocrity. Just goes to show you how important the QB is in the modern game.
Which brings us back to what we did NOT do in 2008: we didn't draft Matt Ryan and instead drafted Jake Long. Granted, Ryan isn't Brees (who we should have also drafted many years earlier) but he's consistently above average (only 2 of his years was he slightly below). Our franchise history would look a lot different had we drafted Brees, signed Brees in FA or drafted Ryan.
So 2020 may be the first time we actually "tank" to get that QB in the draft. We haven't run this playbook yet.
"Finatik wrote:
I have to say I hate “fans” like you. We all knew what we were going to be and you come in crowing like you called a home rum shot in the ninth with bases loaded. Sit at home and enjoy yourself laughing.
Gotcha, I'm not a "fan" because I don't like the idea of losing 16 games on purpose. Thanks for enlightening me. I personally hate "fans" who would even consider that a viable path.
As I said, this is what you asked for...hopefully you enjoy it!
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"cbrad wrote:
I don't think you get it. This is exactly what needs to happen to this franchise. Call it whatever you want, tanking or rebuilding, but we cannot be continuously mired in mediocrity for decades with QB's like Tannehill and coaches like Sparano, Philbin and Gase. You keep Gase and you stay 8-8. You keep Tannehill you stay 8-8 (all on average of course).
No, this is EXACTLY what was needed. So all this "I told you so" stuff is meaningless.
Now.. whether Flores is the right coach or not we'll see, but all these losses will be totally worth it if we pick #1 (or at worst #2) and get ourselves that franchise QB. It's not guaranteed that we succeed, but we'll have a LOT better chance of succeeding this way than by staying the course like you seem to have wanted us to do.
And btw.. great coach Gase lost a totally winnable game today with a QB that looks more like a bust than a franchise QB. Good riddance.
I agree with the tanking but I am not sure we have the right Gm picking the players.
"canesz06 wrote:
Didn't we already do this in 2007? What did that get us? Yes, I know we went to the playoffs the next year and lost in round 1 and then back to mediocrity the next year. How is losing every game this year going to help us? Nothing ever changes with this team,
We did do this in 2007, though I don't know whether it was intentional. The big mistake then was that we drafted Jake Long instead of Matt Ryan with the first overall pick in the following draft. That mistake won't be made again this time.
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
If Ross didn't see this coming it just proves he is the biggest moron in the planet.
At that initial press conference while he was announcing Grier's grand vision, someone asked, "So you'd be okay with 3 or 4 wins next season while the team rebuilds?"
Ross's answer was <in a shocked voice> "Oh God, I hope not!" <pause> "But if that's what it takes, I'd be okay with it."
He had absolutely no idea what he was signing up for and he did not see this coming.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
Im sure Ross was Fuming watching Jackson destroy us and seeing all his Jerseys in the stands.
"KeyFin wrote:
At that initial press conference while he was announcing Grier's grand vision, someone asked, "So you'd be okay with 3 or 4 wins next season while the team rebuilds?"
Ross's answer was <in a shocked voice> "Oh God, I hope not!" <pause> "But if that's what it takes, I'd be okay with it."
He had absolutely no idea what he was signing up for and he did not see this coming.
He is proof that morons can become billionaires
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
There's no way that Ross isn't on board with gutting the team for draft picks. He may not like the empty stadiums but, he's on record for getting rid of Gase because "He wanted to win now". Very, very doubtful that either Grier or Flores are fired after one season.
"ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
I will be rooting for the Eagles this year.
I'm a 76ers fan for the NBA (some of you may know this), and I just got through what they called "the process" up in Philly. We had four consecutive putrid years of losing and now they are a contending playoff team on a yearly basis. Those four years of constant losing were absolutely awful. I remember saying I would never want to go through this again with one of my favorite sports teams and yet here I sit, a Dolphins fan, a fan of a team that may end up being historically the worst EVER in all of sports.
I hope...Flores can regroup and get us ready for a better showing next week. I cannot do 40 point losses all season long just to get the first pick in the draft. It just shouldn't have to be this painful. I realize that some of you love this! But I can't share your enthusiasm for losing in the most horrific fashion. I certainly hope all those draft picks work out well for us....Or will we trade those away too? Like I said, losing sucks and it's absolutely embarrassing being a follower of this team right now. I will be an Eagles fan for the season and that is that.
I'm a Sixers fan as well, but the difference in this instance is that it won't take several seasons of tanking to accomplish the level of competitiveness necessary, because there is no Golden State Warriors equivalent in the NFL. Get the franchise QB and then build around him, and that takes no more tanking than this single season.
it was exactly what I expected. We looked horrible. YOUNG team, NO Oline, Defense with major holes.
Nothing is expected this year NOTHING. Id like to see the team start to "GEL" in 4-5 weeks and next year we can start to evaulate.