1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Dolphins/Chiefs Game- Christmas Edition

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Dec 24, 2017.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Well folks, we should be officially eliminated from the playoffs with that one...which really isn't a shocker anyway. Don't get me wrong, it would have been great to be playing meaningful football in week 17, but we really need Tannehill back in this offense more than anything right now. Sorry I'm a little late with this one today- I just got back from the in-laws opening gifts and getting some family time in.

I mainly started this thread more out of tradition than anything since I've done it all season, and I also wanted to personally say Merry Christmas to each and every one of you. I hope you have an awesome time with your family tomorrow and make lots of great memories. If that's not your thing, happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or anything you may be celebrating this week!

With that said, I'm just going to skim through some quick random thoughts on the game today-

- I thought Cutler actually looked pretty good overall, although we never really got synced up on offense. The two fumbles were EXCELLENT defensive plays and I don't want to take anything away from the Chiefs....I think we would have scored on both of those drives and possibly won the game. Those were bigtime hits and bigtime recoveries.

- How about Grant taking one to the house off a broken tackle? They threw a screen earlier to him where the guy got him by the leg....otherwise that one was a sprint for the endzone and we all know who wins that footrace. I remember thinking the same during that play and seeing nobody deep...I literally went, "Awwwww shi.....Oh! Go Go Go Go!" That was probably my favorite TD of the year.

- Not sure if you guys remember the tipped screen pass where we let the two DE's have a free shot at Cutler, but that one was an easy TD as well. I couldn't even see if it was Grant or Drake over there but they had three blockers and a wide open side of the field. So while that sucked it was a nothing play....it was a smart play call. I REALLY like the way our offense is heading with Drake, Grant, Landry, Stills and Parker.

- Speaking of Parker, I thought he had some nice redemption today with Cutler throwing the deep pass into double coverage and Parker going up to haul it in. If he'd do that once a game, he'd have a 12-year career in the NFL.

- On the other hand, I was not happy with the officiating at all. How was that toe-tap play a TD? The football moved when he hit the ground.....the catch last week by the Steelers was way more of a catch than this one was. How was Stills's arm brushing against a defender 5 yards deep pass interference? They pushed Stills and Grant around much worse all day long with no call.

- We also had a hold on a big run in the first quarter that was a super nit-picky holding flag...90% of the refs don't call that. But when a guy is dry humping Wake's leg from behind looking like a member of a bobsled team, it never ever gets a flag. That kind of stuff pisses me off to no avail- I just want consistent.

- However, the big stinker today was the penalties on defense and most of them were just. We'd shut them down hard three plays and then <boom> five yard penalty with an automatic first down. Our defense looked dominant for most of the afternoon but they kept shooting themselves in the foot.

- One play that stood out- the deep pass Howard's way. What are the chances he's completely smothering the guy, jumps the route to pick off the ball and then the pass is four yards short? That was so FREAKING LUCKY it drove me nuts.

Overall, the Chiefs played a better game and their offense looked great early on. Ours did too though....we just have a little more to iron out. The good news is that I don't think we need any new starters to have an awesome offense next season (besides RT and James back)...we just need a few high quality backups and we're ready to roll.

Again, Merry Christmas my friends....you've made another Dolphins season awesome! And just so you know, we are still playing for something next week....redemption and keeping a division rival out of the playoffs. It's on like Donkey Kong!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Happy holidays! Hopefully things come together next season for this team.

KeyFin likes this.
  3. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Not only for yesterday but we need a new punter, we still can't cover TE and we for ourselves need TE help. Next year counts if Tannehill is fit...

KeyFin likes this.
  4. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    It's been quite a while since we've had good LBs.

bigballa2102 likes this.
  5. bigballa2102

bigballa2102 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    one thing I did see Sunday, was grant is super useful if done right, another thing I would like to see is drake improve his vision, I assume taking the starting role late in the year this will be better next year, I thought he missed some major bounce out holes on a couple runs, but in hindsight he still looked good.

One more thing is, CUTLER SUCKS lol

there is no reason to win this game if we win that pushes us to 17th pick, if we lose and get lucky and maybe cincy wins we have a top 10 pick!!! yes I know the first round 10-15 doesn't seem like much, but in the second and third round it matters.

even if buffalo wins they needs chargers and titans to lose, which I think jax sits a lot of their players they aren't playing for anything and chargers play the raiders so as much as I dislike all division opponents at this point a top 10 pick is better for the future to me.

6. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Trust me for better or worse they will win this game.

7. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Having watched the highlights this morning (in addition to watching the game on Sunday)

-The secondary really had some WTF moments. Jones struggled with Kelce a little bit. No idea what McDonald was doing on A) the deep pass to Tyreek Hill, a little too laissez-faire for my liking and we paid for it B) the Alex Smith big 3rd down conversion. McDonald leaves his feet when he still had a chance to take them to 4th down. Bad prioritization on that play.

-We still can't cover a TE worth a damn, and Kiko got lost in coverage again multiple times during this game. He's really been stinking it up lately. I'm pretty sure one of Alonso or Timmons had contain on the big Kareem Hunt option play, maybe not. Burke has been outcoached a lot through the second half of the year. Our defense is worse than last year, and getting older. Why was the corner off Albert Wilson on that big screen play? Maddening.

-Killer turnovers from Landry and Stills. I feel like they're costlier in the beginning of the game. Landry kind of set the stage with that early turnover.

That's really all I got. We're treading water on offense, the defense can't stop the big plays and conversions.

aesop and KeyFin like this.