1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on benching Tua?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jdallen1222, Nov 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    We've had our disagreements, but you and I feel exactly the same on this.

2. Jersey Dolfan

Jersey Dolfan Active Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Face it - anyone acting as if they are fully confident in Tua is flat out lying to themselves.

He was supposed to be a transformative, generational talent. No one can realistically say that they've seen anything from him that would indicate that. He hasn't shown flashes really at all, of being significantly special.

The truth is - even if Tua were to improve significantly, he may never be more than just an average QB. That isn't why we drafted him at #5, and that isn't enough not to use the #3 pick on competition from another top QB.

Not using the pick that way, would be doubling down on Tua just for the sake of trying to have been right a year ago. That's just not a prudent move.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito. Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    That is a silly statement

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are lying to themselves.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  4. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    In hindsight now I understand why Flores was starting Fitz at the beginning of the season. Tua wasn't and still isn't ready to perform at this level.

Jersey Dolfan, resnor and Rick 1966 like this.
  5. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    It's a true statement, let's not kid ourselves. And if they're not lying to themselves, they know nothing about football.

Jersey Dolfan and resnor like this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Don't be silly

7. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    There was no preseason and you got a QB who just spent the whole offseason rehabbing. Look, I get some of you ain't a fan of Tua's and I'm not 100% sold on him either, but Jesus Christ, at least try to be fair. That's just a bad take, no offense bro.

jdallen1222 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  8. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    Maybe he could give it a shot passing beyond the sticks every now and then. He has happy feet back there and is tentative, like a deer in the headlights. He no longer has those speedy Alabama WR's to hit on the 5-yard quick slants and they then outrun the opposing D Backs. His Receivers were part of the mystique and faux illusion that was created.
    You can make all the excuses in the world you want, but Fitz didn't seem to have trouble with the same receivers when he entered the game.

resnor and Rick 1966 like this.
  9. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    He has an average arm at best, doesn't run well with the ball, and floats too many passes, hardly worth a top 5 pick. He's accurate because he throws 5-yard passes, and even seems to miss those too when pressured.

Jersey Dolfan, resnor and Rick 1966 like this.
  10. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    You're comparing a 16-year veteran to a rookie, the reason Fitz has been around this long is he knows how to adapt, but he didn't know how to do that in the beginning of this career, he was a train wreck, you lack perspective and you're not worth holding a conversation with. Good day.

11. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    Yes, he was a train wreck, and look how he turned out. Don't you think we currently have a trainwreck on our hands? So you're confident in his physical skills? His mind has just not caught up yet? Is that it?
    Not worth the conversation because you have no legitimate argument and can't defend your position, I get it. Best to run and hide.

resnor and Jersey Dolfan like this.
  12. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I was saying that **** about him last year.I was extremely upset when we drafted him.Just like chris Simms said
    His college game will not translate to the nfl and that what were seeing.

ArchStanton, resnor and Jersey Dolfan like this.
  13. Cashvillesent

Cashvillesent Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2019
    That sounds more like Marcus Mariota in Tennessee.

14. Jersey Dolfan

Sep 9, 2012
    So then, if not lying to themselves, what basis do they have to disagree? What have they seen to show me that they aren't lying to themselves? Unless you have proof and have seen something from Tua to say he is going to be elite, then telling yourself you are sure he will be, without any basis, is in fact lying to one's self.

resnor likes this.
  15. Jersey Dolfan

Sep 9, 2012
    Well said.

Not trying to be a jerk to people, but they aren't advancing actual arguments as to why they blindly believe something.

ArchStanton and resnor like this.
  16. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Tua did not win a single game on his own this year. He had no statement game if you will. How he got all these people to buy into him is beyond me. He's garbage.

Jersey Dolfan and ArchStanton like this.
  17. Jersey Dolfan

Sep 9, 2012
    You are still not saying what Tua DID show, or DOES show that makes you believe he is the answer...you are just giving reason after reason of why he DIDN'T show those things. Proving that he, well, didn't show them lol. We can argue if it was his fault or not, but the fact remains, that he hasn't shown much.

For the record, I rooted for Tua all year, was glad he started this game, thought he should, and etc. I kept telling myself the same things you are here. But, today, after looking yet again at Tua, and seeing the undeniable yet again, I have to be logically honest with myself and state the obvious. Tua hasn't shown anything.

I'm not saying he definitely is a bust or not the answer...I'm just simply saying that as of now, we have seen nothing to indicate that he is or will be. And even hoping he still succeeds, it is smart to bring in a other guy, incase Tua never shows these things.

Rick 1966, ArchStanton and resnor like this.
  18. The Guy

The Guy Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I think he won the Arizona game in the way you're talking about, but not any other game.

ArchStanton likes this.
  19. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    I've been arguing with Tua haters all day, you're all set in your mind and you're not going to listen, no one has despite me spelling it out. I'm actually going to take a break from here till maybe draft day, this place is going to be insufferable. And you're talking to someone who has said - repeatedly - I'm not sold on Tua either.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is just silly.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Neither did any other football player in the NFL.

22. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    He wasn't that impressive, really, in college though, man. I completely agree with others, he does not have that vibe of a superstar. This isn't simply about this one season. Add in, his peers that were drafted around him aren't showing the same struggles, so it causes a ton of concern.

Jersey Dolfan likes this.
  23. KeyFin

KeyFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Are you saying that you're 'FULLY 100% CONFIDENT' in Tua? That was his statement and I agree with him.

I want Tua to work out as much as the next guy, but there's absolutely no way to be 100% confident that he's the guy when he can't out-play a 38 year old veteran backup.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am not 100% confident in any rookie quarterback.

That is a dumb stipulation.

25. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    Then why make excuses for him? I'd love to be wrong, trust me, but I don't think I am. He either holds the ball too long and takes unnecessary sacks or he rushes his throwing decision without letting things develop. There is a fine line between the two and in order to be successful, you need to find that window. He hasn't been able to do that yet, and unfortunately, he may never. He is at either end of the extremes and not in the middle where he needs to be.
    He has yet to show he can throw a WR open, he's been conditioned to see 4-5 yards of separation as open. That's never going to happen consistently at this level. I believe Fitz even raised that issue. He has no anticipation and therefore makes bad decisions when holding onto the ball too long. The game seems too fast for him at this point.

26. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    New York
    You're acting like it's his 10th game of NFL action with no off-season.

Oh wait.

27. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    Insinuation, not stipulation.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Whatever you want to call it, it is still pretty stupid.

29. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yet there several rookie QBs who were not as highly touted as Tua, who are not struggling like that.

That is the difference.

30. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    Sure, we can wait around for a few years and hope he gets it, he may, but what if he doesn't?
    Herbert and Burrows had the same EXACT off-season. Both of them showed a hell of a lot more promise than Tua did. I'd take either one of them right now over Tua. Tua will be nothing more than a game manager. He manages games, he doesn't win them.

Jersey Dolfan and resnor like this.
  31. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    This isn't Alabama, this is the big leagues, no more uneven advantages. Time to shine or step aside.

32. Cashvillesent

Cashvillesent Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Not trying to be a dick, but as a Tennessee fan Ive seen alot of QB busts throughout our organization, Tua to me he looks like a more mobile Matt Leinart. Not trying to offend just giving you an outsider perspective.

I'm shocked at how conservative he was. I didn't expect him to be like Herbert and throw darts all over the field. But man the repeated checkdowns had to be maddening if you were a MIA fan.

Hiruma78, KeyFin, Rick 1966 and 3 others like this.
  33. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    In 10 games he has not lived up to the billing. So how many games do we give him, 20, 40, 100? If he showed some sort of potential I would be willing to give him more time, to this point he has shown nothing that he is the generational talent many proclaimed him to be. Nothing. He's being outplayed by a 38-year-old journeyman who's played for 8 teams and has a career 60% completion rate. He's an average quarterback whos played for 16 years, it's not like we're comparing Tua to Marino here. If he hasn't shown he can outplay him, there's a problem. That's a pretty low benchmark.

Jersey Dolfan, resnor and Destroyer like this.
  34. ArchStanton

ArchStanton Member

Dec 5, 2020
    And they were. The problem is those turned into 40-yard gains at Alabama, not at this level. What's really bad is I think Bowden had the longest completion on the day.

KeyFin, Rick 1966 and Jersey Dolfan like this.
  35. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    They'll realize how bad he is somewhere around week 4 or 5 next year.

ArchStanton and Jersey Dolfan like this.
  36. Jersey Dolfan

Sep 9, 2012
    Maybe logic isn't your strong suit, so you can't make sense of it and it just appears blurry, confusing, and "silly". . . Kind of like Tua, when he tries to read a defense.

ArchStanton and Rick 1966 like this.
  37. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I think something we can all agree on is that we're glad we didn't take Jalen Hurts.

ArchStanton and Jersey Dolfan like this.
  38. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thats who i compared him to when he was in Alabama... except Marcus Mariota didnt have 7 first round talent in Oregon like Tua did in Alabama.. yet Mariota recorded similar stats..

39. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He makes better throws than Tua and is a far better runner.

40. Dolphin Dundee

Dolphin Dundee Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2015
    So far..yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.