Thoughts on benching Tua?

374 repliesLocked

jdallen1222jdallen1222Forum VeteranOP
Nov 22, 2020, 10:06 PM

When I thought it was injury related it didn’t bother me as much. After the game we find out it wasn’t. My thoughts are let him take the L and keep getting snaps. If he needs to be babied he isn’t ready. I don’t know, I didn’t like it.

🎃

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:12 PM

I mean...you have to give your team the best possible chance to win every week. Tua had a tough day and Flores tried to give a spark to the offense, which in my opinion is what a coach should do. It keeps everyone honest by doing that.

The bigger question is what Tua does tomorrow- is he the lion or the gazelle? The latter doesn't often get a 2nd chance so let's hope that he's the lion.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:13 PM

All it does it create confusion and division in the locker room in my opinion. Bad move by Flores.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:20 PM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

All it does it create confusion and division in the locker room in my opinion. Bad move by Flores.

Yeah, if they were a 3rd grade girls soccer team, I would agree.

jdallen1222jdallen1222Forum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:25 PM

"Sceeto wrote:

Yeah, if they were a 3rd grade girls soccer team, I would agree.

The way they all ran to the end zone camera for their FaceTime after Howard’s interception and trampled the ref on the way makes you wonder some times.

🎃

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:28 PM

"jdallen1222 wrote:

The way they all ran to the end zone camera for their FaceTime after Howard’s interception and trampled the ref on the way makes you wonder some times.

He's naive. I can totally see Parker/Gesicki going to coaches or the media anonymously and saying their stats look better with Fitzpatrick.

mlb1399mlb1399Forum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:28 PM

This wasn’t all on Tua. But when you play that bad, it might be a good thing to get benched. Cream always rises to the top. Let’s see how he handles this. Trust the Flo. He knows how to motivate.

CBcbradForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:36 PM

"jdallen1222 wrote:

When I thought it was injury related it didn’t bother me as much. After the game we find out it wasn’t. My thoughts are let him take the L and keep getting snaps. If he needs to be babied he isn’t ready. I don’t know, I didn’t like it.

Regardless of what Flores says I do think it had something to do with injury. First of all, Tua's known to be an accurate passer yet his throws were WAY off today, suggesting a mechanics issue (he was technically on the injury report with a foot issue). Secondly, Tua showed in previous games an impressive ability to evade sacks in the pocket, while in this game none of that was evident and he was sacked 6 times! I have a hard time reconciling this with "no injury".

So I do think Flores pulled him partly to protect him. Let him recover from whatever it is and get back to developing into a potentially great QB. Besides, if Tua can't handle adversity he's not the QB we're looking for, and this really isn't much adversity when he's already been named the starter for the next game.

I think Flores did the right thing, and no I don't think it will lead to locker room issues.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:37 PM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

He's naive. I can totally see Parker/Gesicki going to coaches or the media anonymously and saying their stats look better with Fitzpatrick.

Haha. Yeah, right. Sure. ...and if you had a clue, true or not, that's not something Parker nor Gesicki would ever do, but you know, keep throwing your own ---- on the wall and keep waiting for it to stick. Regarding their numbers; now that you mention it....... Hahaha!

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:45 PM

"jdallen1222 wrote:

The way they all ran to the end zone camera for their FaceTime after Howard’s interception and trampled the ref on the way makes you wonder some times.

A lot of players do that after another teamate makes a great play like that one. They have also done that when Fitz was playing. It's more of a celebration for the D and their play.

jdallen1222jdallen1222Forum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:51 PM

"Sceeto wrote:

A lot of players do that after another teamate makes a great play like that one. They have also done that when Fitz was playing. It's more of a celebration for the D and their play.

Their celebrations are causing more injuries than their play. They need to reel it in a little bit. Do you miss Preston Williams?

🎃

jdallen1222jdallen1222Forum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:57 PM

"cbrad wrote:

Regardless of what Flores says I do think it had something to do with injury. First of all, Tua's known to be an accurate passer yet his throws were WAY off today, suggesting a mechanics issue (he was technically on the injury report with a foot issue). Secondly, Tua showed in previous games an impressive ability to evade sacks in the pocket, while in this game none of that was evident and he was sacked 6 times! I have a hard time reconciling this with "no injury".

So I do think Flores pulled him partly to protect him. Let him recover from whatever it is and get back to developing into a potentially great QB. Besides, if Tua can't handle adversity he's not the QB we're looking for, and this really isn't much adversity when he's already been named the starter for the next game.

I think Flores did the right thing, and no I don't think it will lead to locker room issues.

I hope that’s the case but Flores said otherwise. He’s not going to hide any potential foot issues from other teams, they all saw what happened today. I don’t understand why he didn’t say it was an injury related move.

🎃

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 10:58 PM

"jdallen1222 wrote:

Their celebrations are causing more injuries than their play. They need to reel it in a little bit. Do you miss Preston Williams?

Ha. I originally though you made that comment for a different reason. My bad. The celebrations are a bit annoying, but, imo, it's not really that big of a deal with either way.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 11:01 PM

"jdallen1222 wrote:

I hope that’s the case but Flores said otherwise. He’s not going to hide any potential foot issues from other teams, they all saw what happened today. I don’t understand why he didn’t say it was an injury related move.

It's probably a bit of both. Tua was taking a beating and the team did need a spark.

jdallen1222jdallen1222Forum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 11:03 PM

"Sceeto wrote:

Ha. I originally though you made that comment for a different reason. My bad. The celebrations are a bit annoying, but, imo, it's not really that big of a deal with either way.

They are a young team. Hopefully they will soon act like they’ve done this before and preserve their bodies.

🎃

PAPaulyForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 11:21 PM

Tua was having a lot of trouble identifying pressure and making the right OL adjustments. It’s part of being a rookie. He couldn’t get the job done because the Denver pass rush scheme fooled him and prevented him from making plays.

Fitzpatrick being a grizzled vet was able to handle the Denver pass rush scheme and make plays.

As long as Tua learns and adjusts it’s one of those Ls you have to accept because you have a rookie you believe in as your starting QB. If he can’t learn and adjust see: Rosen, Josh.

The GuyThe GuyForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2020, 11:34 PM

I don’t think it makes a difference either way. Just because he got pulled from the game doesn’t mean it has a lot of significance.

thetylernatorthetylernatorForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2020, 02:19 AM

"Pauly wrote:

Tua was having a lot of trouble identifying pressure and making the right OL adjustments. It’s part of being a rookie. He couldn’t get the job done because the Denver pass rush scheme fooled him and prevented him from making plays.

This was my take. From a coaching perspective, when Gailey radios down to Flores telling him how Tua isn't reading the coverage right or picking up Denver's blitzes (even with halftime adjustments), you have to consider pulling him.

Anyway, isn't that Flores' mantra? Best player plays? He doesn't care much for draft status, rookie/vet, salary, etc. The guy who plays well gets the reps.

It's a learning moment for Tua.

Phin McCoolPhin McCoolForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2020, 04:43 AM

Sounds like I picked the best game for the feeds to go down on me. Only saw up to end of first quarter. Was Tua really that bad? Will catch up later on NFL Replay. Or perhaps not.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2020, 07:50 AM

"cbrad wrote:

Regardless of what Flores says I do think it had something to do with injury. First of all, Tua's known to be an accurate passer yet his throws were WAY off today, suggesting a mechanics issue (he was technically on the injury report with a foot issue). Secondly, Tua showed in previous games an impressive ability to evade sacks in the pocket, while in this game none of that was evident and he was sacked 6 times! I have a hard time reconciling this with "no injury".

So I do think Flores pulled him partly to protect him. Let him recover from whatever it is and get back to developing into a potentially great QB. Besides, if Tua can't handle adversity he's not the QB we're looking for, and this really isn't much adversity when he's already been named the starter for the next game.

I think Flores did the right thing, and no I don't think it will lead to locker room issues.

I didn't think about that but yeah, he missed several wide open receivers in the 1st half. Very unlike him to miss by that much.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

The GuyThe GuyForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2020, 08:20 AM

"thetylernator wrote:

This was my take. From a coaching perspective, when Gailey radios down to Flores telling him how Tua isn't reading the coverage right or picking up Denver's blitzes (even with halftime adjustments), you have to consider pulling him.

Anyway, isn't that Flores' mantra? Best player plays? He doesn't care much for draft status, rookie/vet, salary, etc. The guy who plays well gets the reps.

It's a learning moment for Tua.

There's that and there's a bigger problem as well, in that the Dolphins don't have the skilled position players to burn teams that play them aggressively in the pass rush like that. Defensive coordinators can gameplan to come at Tua and the offensive line aggressively without worrying about who among the backs and receiving corps will make them pay. Obviously that needs to be addressed in the draft and free agency. Right now this offense is bereft of talent, and the offensive line is too young and inexperienced to be adequate.

In fact you could make the argument that Tua might be better off sitting for the rest of the year until the line can get more experience and better skilled position players can be acquired. Right now he's a sitting duck.

firedanfiredanForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2020, 08:59 AM

Tua had a bad day and was replaced.Not the end for him, all he can do is learn from it.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2020, 09:18 AM

Im no fan of Tua, ive said it several times already. He has shown some stuff the previous two games that made me think okay, this guy is a gamer..

but then theres yesterday, where he just looked completely overwhelmed.. he looked like Pat White out there..

i am not sure what if anything we will learn about Tua this season, and we probably wont know much until year 3... but im afraid he is a game manager at best.

with that said, he should have finished the game out yesterday and take the loss at the chin.

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2020, 09:24 AM

No problem with it. He was ineffective and the O-line was getting rag-dolled most of the game. I just wish they had gone to Fitzpatrick a series earlier. Tua will be fine, mentally and on the field. Some games you're just going to take your lumps.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

The GuyThe GuyForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2020, 09:26 AM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Im no fan of Tua, ive said it several times already. He has shown some stuff the previous two games that made me think okay, this guy is a gamer..

but then theres yesterday, where he just looked completely overwhelmed.. he looked like Pat White out there..

i am not sure what if anything we will learn about Tua this season, and we probably wont know much until year 3... but im afraid he is a game manager at best.

with that said, he should have finished the game out yesterday and take the loss at the chin.

Right, but that's easily explained by well-disguised blitzes that came from unpredictable directions, against an inexperienced QB and offensive line, with skilled position players who can't make anybody pay for that defensive strategy. Tua is a sitting duck back there under those circumstances. It's no wonder he looked like Pat White.

I'll say it again -- you could make a good case for sitting him the rest of the year under these circumstances. What we saw yesterday doesn't have much of a chance of improving in my opinion. In fact it could get worse.

This thread is locked.