Thoughts about an available Desean Jackson?

84 replies

JajJajNew Member
Nov 28, 2011, 01:45 AM

That's basically it. It's a feeling of respect. It's borderline feminine even the way some of these guys think but believe me it's not as simple as the old act right, do right to get paid thing. It's kind of the other way around. Marshall hasn't asked for money to improve on his performance last year, he really loves the team. They're like grown kids who want to find some kind of show of "loyalty" then they perform like crazy.

Bring him to Miami for a third and an incentive-laden deal.

Bring this man back into the fold if you want some real leadership on this team.

ANAnonymousSupporter
Nov 28, 2011, 01:53 AM

"ToddsPhins wrote:

I know what answer you want it to be, as if there's 1 singular reason why those teams win.
Are you so quick to forget NE's 11-5 2008 season? I guess Tom Brady willed that team to victory while he was on the bench, huh?

The answer isn't what I want it to be. I'm just stating facts. All of the receiving units you mentioned have elite Quaterbacks throwing them the ball, while we had Chad Henne. Does not matter who your receivers are if Henne is your QB.

The best thing to would be to trade up for Andrew Luck/Matt Barkley if need be, then spend the money we would spend on Jackson else where. Like, Free Safety, another pass rusher, or another corner back.

Also, the Pats most likely would have won the division had Brady been healthy. So, him going out was a pretty big blow to them despite them going 11-5.

JajJajNew Member
Nov 28, 2011, 02:14 AM

You guys are ignoring something here. Jackson is greater in value than most people believe. His ability to rack up 1100 yards on only about 60 catches is incredible. It's a huge factor for defenses to account for. This guy isn't a speed threat. He's an incredibly efficient matchup problem for any defense. He brings a certain kind of value to this team specifically that we've been searching for, not just another WR.

Bring this man back into the fold if you want some real leadership on this team.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Nov 28, 2011, 02:17 AM

"Vinny Fins wrote:

no. no. no. No? NOOOOO!

Sign Somebody who actually practices

Enough with the Bill Parcells mentality. What a player does on Sunday is far more important than what he does Monday through Saturday.

Jaj is correct about Jackson. He’s the perfect deep threat element for a new quarterback to use effectively.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

ANAnonymousSupporter
Nov 28, 2011, 02:22 AM

"Jaj wrote:

You guys are ignoring something here. Jackson is greater in value than most people believe. His ability to rack up 1100 yards on only about 60 catches is incredible. It's a huge factor for defenses to account for. This guy isn't a speed threat. He's an incredibly efficient matchup problem for any defense. He brings a certain kind of value to this team specifically that we've been searching for, not just another WR.

That's true. He is a tremendous talent. But the money spent on him may better serve on another Free Agent who will impact this team more than Jackson.

What if Mario Williams is available? Or Peyton Manning? Or Robert Mathis? I would sign them over Desean, personally.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Nov 28, 2011, 02:45 AM

"Ozzy wrote:

IMO, a team should only pay one Wr big money and as much as i would dig Jackson here, there are some legit Wr's in the upcoming draft and if not that then a cheaper Wr would be a better idea for the team in free agency

man, if we could get lucky and Kendall wright dropped to the 33rd pick, I would be very tempted, or, just say fu%$ this offense crap, and go Tank Carder on everyones ass.

finfansince72finfansince72Supporter
Nov 28, 2011, 03:32 AM

If we could sign Jackson to a reasonable contract and get a quality pass catching TE either in the draft or free agency we'd have amazing weapons for the passing game. But doesn't really matter if we can't get the Oline and Qb situation fixed. Its not a bad idea, particularly if we can get a Qb early in the draft but it isn't a top priority IMO. I do like him a lot though, he's a real talent who I don't think has been a terrible teamate or member of the Eagles. He's had a few issues but I don't think they are really that bad.

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum Veteran
Nov 28, 2011, 04:29 AM

Marshall and Jackson would compliment each other so well it would be crazy. It would be great times in Miami that's for damn sure.

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

GreysonWinfieldGreysonWinfieldNew Member
Nov 28, 2011, 07:15 AM

"Jaj wrote:

You guys are ignoring something here. Jackson is greater in value than most people believe. His ability to rack up 1100 yards on only about 60 catches is incredible. It's a huge factor for defenses to account for. This guy isn't a speed threat. He's an incredibly efficient matchup problem for any defense. He brings a certain kind of value to this team specifically that we've been searching for, not just another WR.

He racks up individual statistics that stick out and people tend to overlook what a lousy set of hands he has. Throw in the way he is acting this year and I can just imagine what a disaster he would be down here. Beside that there are the rumours that float about him in this area that makes you question his longterm commitment to a teeam or the game. I'll pass.

One game at a time: Your 2016 Miami Dolphins.
A team without leadership, players without heart: Your 2015 Miami Dolphins.
Carrying on a decade plus of underachieving and mediocrity: Your 2014 Miami Dolphins.
Pissing on your dreams and tearing your heart out: Your 2013 Miami Dolphins.

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Nov 28, 2011, 08:00 AM

"KingMotion wrote:

Just a few points:

1. He's 175 pounds.

2. How has he shown himself to be selfish?

3. So did Vontae.

4. Remember Marshall flipping the ball to Cutler, or launching a ball at the stands? Players do dumb things, but Marshall is still here and still defended with fervor. Production is what ultimately matters.

5. We've had our fair share of drops by our receivers as well.

6. This parallels Marshall's situation somewhat. He was seen as immature in Denver, and acted like a kid because he wanted a new deal.

7. I don't see much evidence of this. He still gets routes in the middle, but I believe Reid doesn't call him on routes over the middle because it doesn't maximize his skill set being short and fast. Besides, Avant is their slot guy anyway.

I don't necessarily want Jackson, but I don't think these reasons are strong enough considering in light of the players we have. I do, however, believe the injury history and the concussions are a fairly good reason to step back. It sort of reminds be of Brian Westbrook. He was always a great player, but concussions drove him into the ground out in Philly. When he resurfaced in San Fran, he didn't have it anymore.

Dude I live 15 min south of philly and see the eagles every week.Every week you see him short arm passes there is a diffrence between dropping and being afraid to get hit.And they list him at 175lbs but he is really 165.

rdhstlr23rdhstlr23Supporter
Nov 28, 2011, 09:00 AM

I'd be all for bringing in Jackson. He'd be dynamic on Special
Teams, as well as WR. I really like Hartline. I believe he's undervalued and underutilized. However, Jackson is an obvious upgrade to that position and PR.

I agree you've got to find the QB also. I wonder if throwing a rookie QB to deal with Jackson and Marshall is the best idea. We saw Henne's struggles in dealing with Marshall's strong personality. I never understood the term diva, but I don't think I'd consider them selfish. I believe they both care about winning, they just believe they are the best way to get there.

However, asking yourself, "Can I win with them both?" is a fair question. Talent wise, no question. Personalities? It's a fair question.

ClipseClipseNew Member
Nov 28, 2011, 09:08 AM

"wally67 wrote:

I would be against it. He wouldnt be worth the asking price and he's even more of a head case than Marshall. We don't need that. We need unselfish guys committed to winning.

No, we need talent.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Nov 28, 2011, 09:20 AM

"Anonymous wrote:

What if Mario Williams is available? Or Peyton Manning? Or Robert Mathis? I would sign them over Desean, personally.

Williams is a lock for the franchise tag.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Nov 28, 2011, 09:22 AM

"Ozzy wrote:

IMO, a team should only pay one Wr big money and as much as i would dig Jackson here, there are some legit Wr's in the upcoming draft and if not that then a cheaper Wr would be a better idea for the team in free agency

So by your logic, the Arizona Cardinals should not have drafted both Fitzgerald and Boldin.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

Nov 28, 2011, 09:26 AM

"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:

So by your logic, the Arizona Cardinals should not have drafted both Fitzgerald and Boldin.

I think where Ozzy is coming from is that there is a difference between drafting them and signing to big deals as FAs/trades...

I would argue though that you would get a much quicker return on your investment vs. waiting for a rookie WR to develop. And of all positions, WR is usually one of the longer developmental processes...

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Nov 28, 2011, 09:58 AM

Much rather just trade for Ginn back.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

rdhstlr23rdhstlr23Supporter
Nov 28, 2011, 10:53 AM

There could be a lot available on the WR FA market. Depending on tags, restricted designations, etc. you could see DeSean, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garçon, Dwayne Bowe, Laurent Robinson, Marques Colston, Robert Meachem, Brandon Lloyd to name a few.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Nov 28, 2011, 11:11 AM

Too expensive IMO if you're still paying Brandon Marshall.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Nov 28, 2011, 11:11 AM

"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:

So by your logic, the Arizona Cardinals should not have drafted both Fitzgerald and Boldin.

When did Arizona give Boldin a big contract?

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Nov 28, 2011, 01:46 PM

Jackson would be a nice toy to have, but we can probably not afford him and fix the rest of the team

Nov 28, 2011, 02:08 PM

"Al13 wrote:

Jackson would be a nice toy to have, but we can probably not afford him and fix the rest of the team

Well this is also the other aspect I wanted to discuss. How much do you guys think he could command? Considering the concussion/maturity issues hes had?

He isnt a dominant do-it-all type of WR... so I question the ceiling he could reach $$$ wise. But he is a hell of a flanker...

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
Nov 28, 2011, 02:13 PM

"Anonymous wrote:

Stop dodging the answer. You know what it is.

Money spent on Jackson could be better spent else where. Now, if he is the only available player we can upgrade this off season, then go for it. But he isn't.

Love what he brings as a football player MOST times , really dislike his attitude , and have concerns over his longer term health. You weigh the value of the dollars spent and see where it makes most sense and will get the most results imo. Ideally you want that at the position of greatest need/greatest impact , it doesn't always flow that smoothly of course.

It will be where the best cost/value is and risk /reward . I would rather get a dominant player at a position that may not be the ideal one than a slightly above average one at more of a need position.

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Nov 28, 2011, 04:01 PM

I've got pretty mixed feelings. I expected Hartline or Bess to take a step forward this year, and they both took a step back. There are some mitigating circumstances... Basically everyone started the season off poorly, and they've had a quarterback change to a guy who doesn't see the field all that well and seems to have an emphasis on different players.

The game is all about using your resources properly, and I'm not sure that big money on a #2 wide receiver at this point is.

Dolfan4LifeDolfan4LifeForum Veteran
Nov 28, 2011, 06:53 PM

He is a playmaker and would really help us to stretch the field but his asking price and on/off the field issues is too much, imo!

Pray for the lost souls, injured and families that have been affected in the Boston Marathon explosion

Dolfan4LifeDolfan4LifeForum Veteran
Nov 28, 2011, 07:08 PM

"FreeStyle wrote:

Stretching the field to draw the double team is what we need, would also be our returner so everyone will stop crying about Bess/Gates.....

We have that guy on our team already, he is just not being used at all for some reason! If we use Gates in the right way he would draw some double team and all that, he runs a 4.30 and that's why we drafted him, to get speed and a deep thread to our WR group!

Pray for the lost souls, injured and families that have been affected in the Boston Marathon explosion