1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thor will be a woman

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    http://io9.com/marvels-new-thor-is-a-woman-1605307213

I genuinely don't care if they decide to change the sex or the race of a character. Now I may not like the specific choice they make when it happens, but unlike other people I don't get upset at the attempt.

This I don't like however. It turns Thor into a Wonder Woman ripoff.

If they wanted to make a statement, they should have made Captain America a woman.

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Thorry for your loth.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's thweet, thankth.

McLovin and Paul 13 like this.
  4. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I'd heard talk of this being a move to help attract more female readers. If that's the case (rather than they feel they have a good story to tell) then this was a stupid move. That is, the mechanism is the correct one - Mjolinir's ability to pass on power is perfect for this sort of exploration (almost a built in "What If?" generator) - but the motive would be the wrong one. Notice you don't often (ever?) get this sort of thing going the other way - female heroes turned into male versions. If companies like Marvel want more success among female readers I'd bet newer lines/series would be a far more effective way to achieve it rather than trying to adapt something which has, over time, been built by and for a male audience. After all, does Wonder Woman really draw in the female readers? I don't think it even draws in that many male readers.

Bottom line, they have a chance to tell some really good stories here. Let's hope they do it than instead of producing Thor with 'assets'.

Stitches and Fin D like this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Judging from the renderings, they aren't gonna "sex" her up.

I think its important to diversify the properties. They need more women, blacks, latinos, jews, asians, gays, etc.

6. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    It's a comic book. They're almost guaranteed to 'sex her up'. She'll have armour on mostly, I expect, but the chance of her being small breasted and wearing long skirts (impractical) or loose fitting pants is almost zero.

As for diversification I don't think that should be a driving concern - they write story books, so, instead of trying to think about political correctness or having 'token' characters, they should focus on telling good stories - whatever that may be and whoever it might include.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If this is what they go with, its really not that sexed up:
    [​IMG]
    ...all things considered.

The race of the (white) hero has never been a story generator in the past. That's another reason why the diversity needs to happen, it will automatically expand the scope of the stories increasing further their chances to be good.

8. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    From Marvel:

""I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill." Aaron pointed out that Mjolnir's other masters have rarely been women, a fact that he sought to change with this title's evolution:"This really is a Thor story unlike any we've ever seen before, and it's not meant to be fleeting. It's not a one-time thing or an alternate reality. This is the new version of Thor in the Marvel Universe."
    Joining Aaron on this journey will be artist Dauterman, who just made his big Marvel debut drawing epic space battles and heartwarming/breaking emotional moments in CYCLOPS. The chance to launch a new Thor title alongside Jason Aaron still seems too good to be true to the rising artist. "THOR: GOD OF THUNDER has been one of my favorite books from the past couple years," says Dauterman. "I'm absolutely thrilled to be on board continuing those stories with Jason, especially with this new premise."

Dauterman doesn’t seem daunted by the series' bold new concept, either: "I was excited at the prospect of drawing a Thor book in general—I'm a fan of the character and love mythology and fantasy stories. But, when [THOR editor] Wil Moss said that the new Thor would be a Goddess of Thunder, I was super excited! I've always gravitated toward strong female characters."

There's one aspect of this new God of Thunder that remains a tightly kept secret—her identity. "The previous Thor doesn't know who she is," explains Aaron. "Not even All-Father Odin seems to know."
    While the creative team may have remained mum about the alter ego of Mjolnir's new owner, Aaron did reveal that the tone of this new series will be very much in line with what fans have come to love about his THOR: GOD OF THUNDER run. "I'm still looking to do big, epic stories,” he vows. “Overall, I'm still going for a dark [Jack] Kirby vibe. [This series stars] a badass Viking goddess with a hammer facing Frost Giants and dark elves and all sorts of wild new villains."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    thought I read somewhere that in an alternate reality or something there was already a female thor. If so, this isn't that far of a leap.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I don't get the part where they keep claiming "she's the new Thor", not she-Thor....
    Thor is the son of Odin, who just happens to wield the power of Mjolnir. This new girl isn't Thor, she's just wielding his power. Mjolnir doesn't make Thor Thor. Being the son of Odin makes him Thor.

11. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Yes and no.

Technically you're right, and on the whole I agree with you. However, back in the day, in the comics, Thor started out as having the power within himself but as a form of punishment Odin essentially removed his power from him and put it in the hammer requiring Thor to prove himself worthy of his own power. Since then, anyone worthy, who picked up the hammer, gained Thor's power. So although you're right that gaining Thor's power doesn't make a person Odin's son (and as far as we know Odin's son isn't about to vanish or be called something else), this new woman will have the power of Thor and so be 'Thor' in every way but personality and lineage.

I agree with you though. Naming her Thor seems unnecessary. They're definitely making a big statement in making this choice.

Easiest way to settle this? Will the real Thor please stand up? :)

12. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
  13. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Joss Whedon Wants Katee Sackhoff As New Lady THOR

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/news/joss-whedon-thor-katee-sackhoff/110143#!bgddCL

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I've been reading THor since he was trapped as mild mannered Donald Blake and would tap his cane to turn into Thor. I'm okay with the female Thor even though I was a little weird with Beta Ray Bill being Thor, but only for the same reason - namesake was wrong.

16. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    This isn't the first time Thor has been a woman either. Technically it's not even the 2nd time since Wonder Woman was Thor briefly.

Jane Foster/Thordis
    [​IMG]

How about Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow:
    [​IMG]

17. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    ^^^ That.

Fin D and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  18. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    between this, captain america turning black and Archie dying saving his gay friend, conservatives heads are exploding.

Destroyer and Fin D like this.
  19. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    What next, cashing in on the Japanese fascination with androgynous peoples? Thor could be asexual, appearing masculine to men and in feminine form to women, or simply as the beholder projects "Thor" as his comic powers are all in the hammer...

Totally meh about this as I don't like the comic character Thor at all. Loki is the more interesting of the two in any event. Now a lady Loki, that'd be interesting... lol...

As for Katee Sackoff playing Lady Thor, it'd be nice to see her in something other than her current role of whiny deputy sheriff on Longmire.

Also, the Vikings should try this with Ragnor... lol...

20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Whor?

Wait what?

21. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Only a 43% difficulty. Can manage.

McLovin and NaboCane like this.
  22. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Food for thought:

Marvel owns Thor.
    Disney owns Marvel.
    Thor's father is a king.
    Thor is now female.

Thor is now a Disney Princess.

Fin D and NaboCane like this.
  23. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    When FinD argued he wanted to be Thor, we all knew it was gonna happen.

Fin D likes this.
  24. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm convinced Jason Aaron can make me like any character.