ThePhins Survivor - Challenge #13

120 replies

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum VeteranOP
Aug 19, 2010, 02:37 AM

pennphinphan wins!

Chess Tournament

Pretty much what it sounds like. What I need from you guys it to go to http://games.yahoo.com/games/login2?page=ch&ss=1 and create an account. Please make your account name the same or close to what you have on this forum. Post your account and your sign name on this thread when done so.

I have randomized who's playing who. It's a standard single elimination 8 person tournament. What you need to do is get ahold of your partner somehow through PM this thread or whatever and try to get a game in within a couple days. There is no true time limit but please try and get the games in as fast as possible and work out schedules that you can play. When the game is over please post the results in this thread. :up:

When you guys play just use the "Springer Sprawl" room it makes it really easy to find each other.

First Round

Rocky Raccoon (MrRaccoon)
vs
Monstblitz (MonstBlitz)

Winner = Monstblitz

denderfeliac (denderfeliac)
vs
PSG

Winner = denderfeliac

Paul 13 (paul_13_herald)
vs
pennphinphan (pennphinfan)

Winner = pennphinphan

GridIronKing34 (GridIronKing34)
vs
BIG E

Winner = GridIronKing34

Second Round

Monstblitz
vs
denderfeliac

Winner = Monstblitz

pennphinphan
vs
GridIronKing34

Winner = pennphinphan

Championship Round

Monstblitz
vs
pennphinphan

Winner = pennphinphan

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

pennphinfanpennphinfanForum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 08:58 AM

Are we deciding time limits ourselves between the 2 matched up?

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 09:34 AM

I haven't been able to create my account yet (blocked at work) but does this site offer anything that will prevent cheating? Not that I don't trust you guys :shifty:

I'm just wondering if this is going to be another one of those challenges where everyone cheats like hell and it's just going to come down to who cheats better.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Aug 19, 2010, 10:55 AM

Well penn. Looks like you will win our matchup by default as im on vac and only my iphone at my disposal until saturday. Unless there is an app. :shifty:

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

pennphinfanpennphinfanForum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 11:05 AM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

I haven't been able to create my account yet (blocked at work) but does this site offer anything that will prevent cheating? Not that I don't trust you guys :shifty:

I'm just wondering if this is going to be another one of those challenges where everyone cheats like hell and it's just going to come down to who cheats better.

i've played on chess.com before, fairly recently actually bc of a challenge from one of my friends.. you can't cheat in that you can't take moves back etc. but i suppose you could have someone else playing for you. if you do a "live match" which is much better than a 'normal' challenge on there, you have to make split second decisions like a real chess match, so that would lead to less cheating i guess

be careful when you try to challenge each other. if you just like find their name and click challenge, it's going to put you into this "3 day" challenge where its not live-updating because it thinks you're only coming back to it every now and then and playing an extended game against someone. you have to constantly reload the page and its a pain in the arse

the trick is to have both people go to the "Play" menu, go to "Live Chess", then click the button to go into the Live Chess Lobby. From there, you can find the persons name in the list (assuming they are also currently in the lobby) and you can click next to their name where it says "play", and this will set up a timed match where you can put in however many minutes you want each side to have total

"Paul 13 wrote:

Well penn. Looks like you will win our matchup by default as im on vac and only my iphone at my disposal until saturday. Unless there is an app. :shifty:

well shooot. i don't think there's an app. could we get like a proxy player for you or something? i don't care if whoever it is beats me i'd like to actually be able to do the challenge...

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Aug 19, 2010, 11:22 AM

"pennphinfan" wrote:

i've played on chess.com before, fairly recently actually bc of a challenge from one of my friends.. you can't cheat in that you can't take moves back etc. but i suppose you could have someone else playing for you. if you do a "live match" which is much better than a 'normal' challenge on there, you have to make split second decisions like a real chess match, so that would lead to less cheating i guess

be careful when you try to challenge each other. if you just like find their name and click challenge, it's going to put you into this "3 day" challenge where its not live-updating because it thinks you're only coming back to it every now and then and playing an extended game against someone. you have to constantly reload the page and its a pain in the arse

the trick is to have both people go to the "Play" menu, go to "Live Chess", then click the button to go into the Live Chess Lobby. From there, you can find the persons name in the list (assuming they are also currently in the lobby) and you can click next to their name where it says "play", and this will set up a timed match where you can put in however many minutes you want each side to have total

Well penn. Looks like you will win our matchup by default as im on vac and only my iphone at my disposal until saturday. Unless there is an app. :shifty:

well shooot. i don't think there's an app. could we get like a proxy player for you or something? i don't care if whoever it is beats me i'd like to actually be able to do the challenge...

Ya. I love chess too. Id be good at this challenge. Okay i dont LOVE it. But id be fairly decent.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Aug 19, 2010, 12:15 PM

MrRaccoon is my username. Bring it MB!

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 02:08 PM

"Paul 13 wrote:

Well penn. Looks like you will win our matchup by default as im on vac and only my iphone at my disposal until saturday. Unless there is an app. :shifty:

If every game has played before you come back unfortunately you'll have to sit this one out. We'll see how fast the matchups take. I wanted to get this thing over by the time football season starts with 6 more total challenges including this one. Gotta make them somewhat flowing.

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 02:12 PM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

I haven't been able to create my account yet (blocked at work) but does this site offer anything that will prevent cheating? Not that I don't trust you guys :shifty:

I'm just wondering if this is going to be another one of those challenges where everyone cheats like hell and it's just going to come down to who cheats better.

How about everyone not be an ******* and cheat so I can have unique challenges without having to constantly think how you guys can cheat to win. Best way to not get invited back to this thing next year is to make me work harder on this than I already am.

But yeah what penn said you'll have to do live games. The other way is too slow. For the question on how you will set up your game. When you both have your names down try and talk to your opponent about when you guys can make time to play each other. :up:

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 02:38 PM

"Dolfan984 wrote:

How about everyone not be an ******* and cheat so I can have unique challenges without having to constantly think how you guys can cheat to win. Best way to not get invited back to this thing next year is to make me work harder on this than I already am.

Damn. I guess that's aimed at me. Not trying to make you work any harder. Just pointing out the obvious. Whenever there is room for it, there has been rampant cheating in this contest, admittedly on both sides. I guess we're all *******s.

I'd love it if this contest we could all be gentlemen and agree not to cheat. I don't plan on cheating. But as hard as you work on this, the rest of us have also sacrificed weekends, hours of work, sleep to participate in this thing so yeah it worries me that someone could cheat their way to an easy victory in this challenge. Sorry I brought it up.

Honestly I suck at chess so I will be an easy victory whether someone cheats or not.

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 02:46 PM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

Damn. I guess that's aimed at me. Not trying to make you work any harder. Just pointing out the obvious. Whenever there is room for it, there has been rampant cheating in this contest, admittedly on both sides. I guess we're all *******s.

I'd love it if this contest we could all be gentlemen and agree not to cheat. I don't plan on cheating. But as hard as you work on this, the rest of us have also sacrificed weekends, hours of work, sleep to participate in this thing so yeah it worries me that someone could cheat their way to an easy victory in this challenge. Sorry I brought it up.

Honestly I suck at chess so I will be an easy victory whether someone cheats or not.

It was a general comment. But why even give people ideas? What cheating has been done besides the 2nd challenge?

and trust me I'd much rather be playing this than running it, but it's the only way one of these is going to go down.

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

GridIronKing34GridIronKing34Forum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 02:50 PM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

Damn. I guess that's aimed at me. Not trying to make you work any harder. Just pointing out the obvious. Whenever there is room for it, there has been rampant cheating in this contest, admittedly on both sides. I guess we're all *******s.

I'd love it if this contest we could all be gentlemen and agree not to cheat. I don't plan on cheating. But as hard as you work on this, the rest of us have also sacrificed weekends, hours of work, sleep to participate in this thing so yeah it worries me that someone could cheat their way to an easy victory in this challenge. Sorry I brought it up.

Honestly I suck at chess so I will be an easy victory whether someone cheats or not.

I suck at chess too, don't feel bad.

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 02:57 PM

"pennphinfan wrote:

Are we deciding time limits ourselves between the 2 matched up?

Go with as much time as you need. I'm sure between both of you that something can be worked out. :up:

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 03:18 PM

"Dolfan984 wrote:

It was a general comment. But why even give people ideas? What cheating has been done besides the 2nd challenge?

and trust me I'd much rather be playing this than running it, but it's the only way one of these is going to go down.

Cheating wasn't an entirely accurate phrase. Teams haven't been exactly cheating, but using every resource available to complete the challenges. But you've done a great job of choosing challenges to where that's not exactly cheating. But this one, if you use every resource available, say a cousin, friend, etc whose a ringer at chess, that would be more cheating. Not trying to give anyone any ideas. I think the ways you would cheat at online chess are blatantly obvious to anyone who thinks about it. More trying to see if we can all come to a gentleman's agreement on this one. May the best chess player win. I'm sure one of these guys is an absolute ringer at chess and won't even need to cheat.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Aug 19, 2010, 03:23 PM

"Dolfan984" wrote:

If every game has played before you come back unfortunately you'll have to sit this one out. We'll see how fast the matchups take. I wanted to get this thing over by the time football season starts with 6 more total challenges including this one. Gotta make them somewhat flowing.

No worries bro. Good thing im not matched up vs one if them. Lol.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 04:30 PM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

Cheating wasn't an entirely accurate phrase. Teams haven't been exactly cheating, but using every resource available to complete the challenges. But you've done a great job of choosing challenges to where that's not exactly cheating. But this one, if you use every resource available, say a cousin, friend, etc whose a ringer at chess, that would be more cheating. Not trying to give anyone any ideas. I think the ways you would cheat at online chess are blatantly obvious to anyone who thinks about it. More trying to see if we can all come to a gentleman's agreement on this one. May the best chess player win. I'm sure one of these guys is an absolute ringer at chess and won't even need to cheat.

That I agree with you. And yes could we please agree to keep it fair? No ringers hahaha

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 05:21 PM

Anyone else make an account yet? Only got Rocky so far.

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

Aug 19, 2010, 05:38 PM

"Dolfan984 wrote:

Anyone else make an account yet? Only got Rocky so far.

Looks like I win the tournament then. Onto the next challenge.

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 06:03 PM

"Rocky Raccoon wrote:

Looks like I win the tournament then. Onto the next challenge.

Not so fast! Signed up as MonstBlitz.

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 06:22 PM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

Not so fast! Signed up as MonstBlitz.

Well one matchup can go on now. Go ahead and play your game when you guys can.

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 07:17 PM

"Dolfan984 wrote:

Well one matchup can go on now. Go ahead and play your game when you guys can.

Rocky and I have a man date set up for 8:30.

MissBlitz: Wanna watch Top Chef tonight?
Me: I can't I have to play a chess tournament for PhinsSurvivor.
MissBlitz: :rolleyes:

BTW, she can't wait for me to get voted out of this competition. :lol:

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Aug 19, 2010, 07:19 PM

"Dolfan984" wrote:

Well one matchup can go on now. Go ahead and play your game when you guys can.

Yeah at least u guys get to play with each other. Ummmmmmmm.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Aug 19, 2010, 07:21 PM

"MonstBlitz" wrote:

Rocky and I have a man date set up for 8:30.

MissBlitz: Wanna watch Top Chef tonight?
Me: I can't I have to play a chess tournament for PhinsSurvivor.
MissBlitz: :rolleyes:

BTW, she can't wait for me to get voted out of this competition. :lol:

:lol: i got the same look when i tell her about this. Tho i do have to admit she is more interested after the whole sick voted out thing.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Aug 19, 2010, 07:31 PM

"Rocky Raccoon wrote:

MrRaccoon is my username. Bring it MB!

Am I signed up at the right site? I'm on chess.com now looking all over for MrRaccoon and I can't find your name. Maybe you have to be online for me to send a friend request. I'll check back in an hour.

Aug 19, 2010, 07:37 PM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

Am I signed up at the right site? I'm on chess.com now looking all over for MrRaccoon and I can't find your name. Maybe you have to be online for me to send a friend request. I'll check back in an hour.

Yeah I searched you as well and had no luck. I played a practice game already so I should be ready to go.