1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Writers thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SCall13, Jan 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Interesting characters and very complex. That's a lot to take on in your 1st effort, are you sure ? But again I commend the effort.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  2. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Some of the truest words said on this board. :up: Its why I write.

NaboCane likes this.
  3. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    What do you write, Kevin?

PMZQ likes this.
  4. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Some fiction, a lot more non-fiction. See my above post in this thread for the specifics. :up:

NaboCane likes this.
  5. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    No. :pity:

:chuckle:

6. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I have several old ideas that I have never made it past the outline stage. I may have to take those out of storage and try to do something with them. You guys, and this thread are inspiring me. :wink2:

7. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I will. I have the one Charlemagne project that Marlene and I hope to get publish later this year. It may be a bit dry for most folks here, but I will see what I can do.

As I write more of my novel, I might be tempted to drop a couple of chapters on your guys to see what you think. :wink2:

8. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Now I'm under pressure to deliver, yikes :eek:

:tongue2:

9. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    he he. You said erecting.

10. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

That's exactly how I write...just go with it and let your imagination work and see where it takes you. It's a good way to write and it's cool because as you're writing, you're also discovering, and to me it makes it fun.

11. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I used to write as a young man, scary stuff indeed. My crowning achievement was a short story I wrote in High School called 'Duality'. It was a story about God wanting to retire, and his meeting with Jesus and Lucifer regarding the upcoming retirement. I lost all copies of the damn thing, but I loved it. People either read it and loved it or called me a blasphemer. :pointlol: It read like a play, almost, very dialogue driven. The premise was that through the ages God realized that both his son, and his greatest warrior were reflections of him, and through the years Jesus had grown a darker side and Lucifer learned a little compassion. I called it a 'Tale of Western Mythology' and wish I had a copy I could upload.

Haven't done much since High School and college, but last Sunday I started a fictional blog that will document one man's struggle to save himself and his family in the wake of a terrorist attack that threatens to kill the world. It is written like a diary, or journal, if you will, and it is being done in pieces as I find the time. I have no outline, no real plot designed, I'm just taking a few minutes, when I have time, and plugging in a few paragraphs. I want it to read rough, like someone is just jotting down their thoughts, it's been a while since I've written anything other than smart assed one liners on a message board.

No-one has read it yet, but if you all are interested, here's the link to the first post.

http://lastmanstanding-endoftheworld.blogspot.com/2009/02/day-1-beginning-of-end.html

DevilFin13 likes this.
  12. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Thanks bro! :knucks:

13. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

To start with, let me do the honors of repeating that the opening is really good. I immediately sympathize with Tanner, and any audience would. The tension that you build for him is very tangible and you automatically want to see him succeed in spite of the unfortunate situation he is in.

But, like you, I find it tough to decide whether it should to be a triumphant story or a tragic one. But (and you probably agree) you can see where it could easily be both. There can be a tragedy around him that he is ultimately able to overcome to see his dreams through, all the while having to push through something even more difficult than he has to the point where you open the story.

Whatever way you decide to go with this, I really like it, and find myself wanting to read more. You certainly have the talent for it and just in reading this portion of your story, I have a lot of confidence in you that you will end up with a great story/book.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  14. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

No sweat bro. I'm glad I can help to encourage you. I think we, as writers, need a bump every now and then. Not that we lack confidence in what we're doing, but just a little push to help us realize that what we are writing is appreciated and enjoyed. I think this thread will help all the writers on the site. It has already helped me. And I'm honored that you asked my opinion, it means a lot and I'm flattered by it. We need to be certain to continue to keep giving each other that little "bump."

:up:

15. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Not to be a downer, but just so you guys realize that once you put anything not-copyrighted on the net it's pretty much public domain.

Anyone can steal just your idea, or even your entire work, verbatim, and publish it.

What's worse is if they publish it first, it's theirs.

/end dark side.

16. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Yeah, that's fine. I deleted a few posts as well. It would certainly be better (and safer) to correspond via PM.

17. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Yeah, this is true. Gotta be careful.

18. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Yeah, I'm more into the horror and psychological thriller genre - along the lines of Dean Koontz, John Saul, and Stephen King.

No worries though. I'll share some more with you and although our writing styles and genres may differ, we can still give each other constructive type criticism, ideas, etc. The cool thing is, you can always learn from other writers and that can help you add another element into your individual styles.

19. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Little update on the progress of my book: I am well into chapter 8. It's been fun writing, and I've been really into it lately. It's been a while since I really felt this motivated. I've been on a pretty nice roll.

20. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

I know what you mean about frantic. Been there for sure. Just keep at it when you're able. I really enjoyed the part you shared. There's definitely a great story there.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  21. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Here's something super cool I just found.

http://etherpad.com

This tool allows writers in remote location to collaborate on a document simultaneously. Check it out!

SCall13 and sking29 like this.
  22. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Good thing I have been transferring everything from this thread over into Word since day one. None of it makes sense but...:shifty:

SCall13 likes this.
  23. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Wondering if anyone here has ever thought of co-authoring a book. I myself can never find the motivation to finish, but I'm thinking with a partner to push me I could.

24. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    depends if you're looking to make money off the mass media market or if you want to impress the critics. If you want to make money, the overcoming the odds story is a tried and true seller. if its politically correct also, then you could get critical acclaim and money. if however you want huge critical acclaim then be as dark and morose as possible. A message bordering on nihilism is like catnip to cats for critics. unfortunately, no major publisher will want you and the one that does will have no marketing budget for you

25. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    :up:

Its kind of like fitness, it's easier to run when someone is running with you.