1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The worst OL in the league lost this game for us

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Oct 6, 2013.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Thank you Ireland

GARDENHEAD, MonstBlitz and ASOT like this.
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    #extendIreland!!! :pity:

3. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Definitely, and the drops didn't help either. Crappy job against the struggling Ravens. They lost to the Bills, by the way.

4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What do you mean thank you Ireland? I don't really like Ireland at all, but what were the options in the offseason? Sign Jake Long? That guy sucks, have you watched him on the Rams?

Draft Lane Johnson? He sucks as well. The only option he had was trading for Albert and the Chiefs were asking for a lot and already had a huge price tag on him.

toto likes this.
  5. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    And yet Bozo the Owner extends him.

6. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Dude, he's had 6 years to build a line. How long will he need ? Until Tannehill is too old to play ? This is all on him, and you know it.

7. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    And to think both Sherman and Philbin have a combined Offensive line experience of over 30 years coaching

8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Just trust the coaches!!!!!!!!!

9. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I would rather have Long and Martin still at RT, Clabo is awful. From the Miami Herald:

"Offensive tackle: This is troubling: Not only is Jonathan Martin one of nine NFL linemen that have allowed at least four sacks (Dolphins right tackle Tyson Clabo also has given up four), but runs behind Martin are averaging a puny 1.9 yards per carry, which explains why Pro Football Focus rates him 65th of 69 tackles (tied with Clabo) as a run blocker.

Conversely, Jake Long –-- who left for St. Louis after the Dolphins offered less than he sought --- has permitted two sacks and is 11th as a run-blocker. Kansas City’s Branden Albert, whom Miami possibly could have acquired for a second-round pick if it had been willing, has relinquished one sack and is 42nd as a run blocker.

Overall, PFF ranks Long 17th, Albert 25th and Martin 37th."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...aa-um-heat-marlins-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

10. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    And Jim Jones said trust the kool aid

shula_guy likes this.
  11. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    You're forgetting, or deliberately missing the part where there was plenty of OLine talent brought in that was jettisoned by Sparano and Degugs that are starting and doing well for other teams, like the Colts and Eagles...

12. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    My eye is on Ireland and Jim Turner.

In six years we had a good line for the first 1.5. And it's been downhill since. Ireland has hit on precious few players. As bad as Marc Colombo was, Tyson Clabo appears even worse.

And Jim Turner....which players are better since he got here? Has he made anyone better? I don't know.

It's just tough to watch this group torpedo so much of the team. The last two drives were an embarrassment. Someone has to be accountable. Either they're not talented enough or they're not being coached up. It's one of both, but not neither.

- sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 beta -

13. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    A lot more went into losing that game then sacks and crappy O-Line. The pass catching was bad ... even Hartline contributed one. Play calling was suspect, again. The two BS PI penalties instantly flipped the game momentum. Ravens were walking around sulking until they got those two and the easy TD.

14. mnfinfan

mnfinfan Active Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Cayman and Minnesota
    Pass catching wasn't great, but looking at some of those drops again most were rushed throws that ended up being behind or at an odd angle for the WR to catch. A lot of that again goes to the OL not giving RT enough time. The PIs were bad too, but we had an O-line which gives our QB a couple more secs and we win that game.

shula_guy and cdz12250 like this.
  15. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    He has had more than enough time to build an offensive line so stop making lame excuses please!!!!!!!!!!

16. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    This is bull **** plain and simple. Of course there were options, good teams find guys in the draft or make moves, we honestly thought this line was good enough......thats scary when you think about it. We've spent tons of draft picks on our line so its not unfair to blame the front office, its not a lack of moves its the fact that almost zero of the moves have worked out other than Pouncey. Martin is scary bad right now.

17. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

Everything else that went into it is beside the point. The WRs have made tough catches before. Sturgis has made clutch kicks before. But our O line has sucked every single game. They are the one constant

18. JamesyEsq

JamesyEsq Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    England
    On target for the second worst offensive line in NFL HISTORY with 78 sacks, Ryan Sackenhill wont make it out alive at this rate

Bpk likes this.
  19. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    Agreed 100%, and improving personnel isn't an option at this point in the season. Making a coaching change is the only move we have, Turner has to go.

20. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Stop it. He's had 5 years to solidify the line and it's gotten progressively worse. No one else to blame.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free

finfansince72 likes this.
  21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Clabo playing this miserable is probably our biggest disappointment. He's awful and nobody thought he would be. Nobody said he'd be a pro bowler but no one said he'd bee this bad.

Jerry is awful too. Martin struggles all game but at least he's playing the primary pass rusher that you expect to get a rush.

Serious question, when do we try Watkins/Dallas Thomas on the right side? How much worse can it get...

Hiruma78, mlb1399, Bpk and 1 other person like this.
  22. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    It's hard to compensate for such a banged up D. This o line is making it very hard to win.

23. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

A rare post from Jamesy! Usually I only see you on the Finsiders chat.

24. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Oline is good enough. Olines dont win or lose games generally even with 7 sacks.
    Thinking about Oline is a waste of time and effort.

25. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Mario Williams and the Bills D-line up next, won't be pretty

26. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    What are you talking about? ALL games are won and lost in the trenches.

27. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    hahaha, good one.

28. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    Please edit title to include Sherman.

29. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

Whatever you're drinking man, I'll definitely have one...it's obviously got quite a kick to it.

30. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    I think what is even worse for Martin now is the whole league knows his weakness anchoring against a bull rush, and defenders seem to have their own private game going to see who can knock Tannehill over by actually throwing Martin at him. I think Suggs and Dumervill got a strike each today.

31. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    This is a ridiculous post. I doubt that the RBs, with very little room to run, Tannehill, sacked six times and harrassed all game, or Sturgis, who had extra yards tacked on that missed long field goal to tie the game late in the 4th quarter, would agree that thinking about the Oline is a waste of time and effort.

32. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I just can't believe how bad Clabo has been. We knew Martin would have his moments and Jerry too, but what the hell man? Clabo has been Colombo-esk.

This offensive line is single handily holding our team back. The defense is banged up too, but they're still good enough. I hate bye weeks after a loss, but it's probably best for the team and coaching staff to get to work and find a way to fix this, because it's embarrassing.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we made a move and brought someone else in. This can't continue.

33. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yeah, Martin being weak against a bull rush is a given a this point, but watching Clabo get just about thrown back into Tannehill was disappointing as well.

34. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Not only are they awful at straight passblocking,they are also lousy or don't even don't try, the other ways to slow down the rush, draws, screens, shovels,and rollouts.

35. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    They could very well become the worst O-Line in the history of the NFL if they don't improve (How they will, I have no idea, and its doubtful). Tannehill is on pace to be sacked 77 times. The record is 76 on David Carr by the Houston Texans expansion line.

So we currently have the O-Line of an expansion team. Except we've put more money into "building" the O-Line than any other part of our team since 2008. Plus a bunch of draft picks.

shula_guy likes this.
  36. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    THIS x100.

Can we please do some things to counter the pass rush? If we can't block them, throw a screen. Run quick routes, roll Tannehill out, max protect. Try SOMETHING.

Claymore95 likes this.
  37. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    My O-Line thoughts -

There needs to be some movement of the parts during the bye week. That's clear.

Tyson Clabo needs to benched. He's clearly a massive liability on the field - both in pass block and run blocking. He's not getting it done.
    John Jerry needs to be tried at RT. I think he can be more serviceable there at RT, than Clabo. However, it's clear that at this point, neither Clabo or Jerry should be in the starting unit next year.
    Jon Martin is what he is. Miami made their bed with him and now we forced to sleep in it. Moving him to the right side, and inserting another LT is useless. Martin has maintained that he's much more comfortable at LT, than RT. The coaches maintain that he's a better fit there also. Finding a LT on the team, or going and getting a LT, still causes a hole at RT.

Danny Watkins, Nate Gardner, Will Yeatman should all expect to see some additional reps in practice this week.

My fear? We have absolutely nothing worth inserting to improve the team. This team is so short on depth here. I'm not sure if it's the Dolphins inability to get the right 5. I'm not sure if it's Ireland's ability to bring in quality players. I'm not sure if the coaches are putting the players in the best position to succeed. I'm not sure if the play calling isn't doing them any favors. I think it's a little bit of them all.

It's on the coaches and the personnel staff, mainly Ireland, to find the right guys, fit, and calls set up for success.

38. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Clabo has obviously been a serious disappointment, I thought he wd be at least solid. It's a shame that Louis didn't work out, but I guess he just didn't heal quickly enough or maybe he's done. A couple of moves that months ago I thought wd work out for us.

39. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Jerry was alright at tackle in 2011 when the Dolphins inserted him there. He can at least get the running game moving and won't get walked back like Clabo. If you can at least form a clean pocket up front that allows the QB to move up and get over a DE getting past Jerry at RT.

Re-do the line:

LT- Martin or Yeatman
    LG- Garner
    C- Pouncey
    RG- Incognito
    RT- Jerry

The problem with what Miami is putting out there right now is if you can't get your RG to pass protect at all your QB is in flinch mode as far as pressure coming from up the middle. There's a lot you can do on the outsides to chip with the RB, double with a TE, or simply step up as Flacco did today. When you are getting pinned then you are screwed.

40. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    we do occasionally try screens but we might just be the worst screen team on the planet. the one guy who doesn't get blocked is the one guy who makes the tackle EVERY TIME. It's infuriating when we run a screen.

Pariah likes this.