1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Way We Hear It — draft edition

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 16, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    "If I were trying to read Bill Parcells, I would think he likes (Vernon) Gholston better than Chris Long because he can coach the kid to pursue and play hard. He cannot make Chris Long come off the edge much faster."

With less than 10 days to go before the 2008 NFL draft, the phone lines are beginning to ring in team headquarters, and trade scenarios are being discussed.

Typically, there are few teams looking to move up in the top 10, but the way we hear it, the Saints, who have been aggressive targeting players in the Sean Payton era, are expressing interest in moving up.

While they still have a pressing need to fill at cornerback, it is the DT position that they are looking to address early. New DL coach Ed Orgeron has been in attendance at many DT workouts this spring and has personally worked out Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis, whom he helped recruit to the Trojans.

The way we hear it, the Saints feel like they have to climb at least ahead of the Bengals, who are also in great need of a defensive tackle, to have a chance at landing Ellis.

Good read
    link
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/wwhi041608.htm

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    So... wait a minute here. According to this, Bill wants to draft a player that needs improvement so we can coach him up to NFL standards, as opposed to taking a guy that is apparently already ready to play at the NFL level??? Am I missing the sense in this???

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I am thinking that they are trying to say that Gholston's has more potential which would make him the favorite over Chris but you could be right. That first paragraph can be taken in multiple ways which makes it confusing.

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Almost every player has to be coached up to NFL standards. "Coached up" and "adjust" are the same thing.

If you had your choice between:

A. A consistant avg player in the league that stepped into his first game at the same level he plays at for his entire career.

or

B. An explosive game-changing player who leads your defense in every game that took a few games/half a season to get up to probowl speed.

What would you take?

I'd take B personally.

PhinsRock, alen1 and adamprez2003 like this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yeah add the fact that one is better suited for strongside and one is better suited for pass rush and since pass rush is more valuable........

6. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    See the comparison between Long is purely mechanical. Gholston doesn't have the mechancis Chris Long has but Gholston has more explosion. See in time Gholston can be taught these mechancis.

Basically BP wants a guy that has a high celing. Perhaps he doesn't see that in Chris Long.

7. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Correctomundo! Well said. :up:

That being said, I am liking the idea we might be able to trade down out of the #1 spot. Opens up a lot of solid possibilities to really improve this team. The Saints would be a good team to swap picks in the first round with. Puts us right where I think we need to be and adds a pick or two, no downside to that IMHO.