1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The View From Valhalla: GML Round 2

Discussion in '2010 GM League Forum' started by Vengeful Odin, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Okay, I’m back with what will likely be my last set of grades. I’m not a draft guru, so my knowledge of picks and players (and my desire to type lengthy descriptions) wanes the further the draft goes on. Still, I know a couple of you wanted to see my thoughts (hopefully) on Round 2 of the GML draft.

Disclaimer: Don’t be offended if I didn’t like your pick … this is your team, not mine, and you’ve got a plan I may not be privy to. Keep in mind that this is all just for fun. :up:

Let’s take a look at Round 2.

• 33. Daryl Washington, LB, TCU (Philadelphia) – Philadelphia gets a LB who can likely play all 3 spots in their 4-3 defense. Grade: A
    • 34. Demaryuis Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech (Detroit) – Thomas makes a nice pairing with the recently acquired Braylon Edwards, proving he can run NFL routes. Grade: B+
    • 35. Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU (Tampa Bay) – The Bucs reach for a WR in order to replace the recently departed Antonio Bryant. Grade: B
    • 36. Maurkice Pouncey, G, Florida (Arizona) – Cardinals now have two very good young offensive lineman to protect their QB, whoever that is. Grade: B+
    • 37. Anthony Davis, T, Rutgers (Washington) – Davis should be a nice fit for Washington’s run blocking scheme. Good value here. Grade: A
    • 38. Patrick Robinson, CB, FSU (Chicago) – Robinson gambles too much for my tastes, but is good in run support. Grade: B-
    • 39. Sean Lee, LB, Penn State (Miami) – Should be versatile for Miami and can play several roles. Not a flashy pick. Grade: B+
    • 40. Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida (Carolina) – Undersized TE may be better suited for H-Back role as a Panther. Grade: B-
    • 41. Navorro Bowman, OLB, Penn State (Buffalo) – Probably only suited to play as a 4-3 OLB, still a raw project. Reach? Grade: C+
    • 42. Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama (Detroit) – Should be a 2 down force in the NFL, provides he doesn’t eat himself out of the league first. Grade: B+
    • 43. Tim Tebow, QB/ATH, Florida (Oakland) – Possibly the most divisive NFL prospect in history. Needs a major overhaul of throwing mechanics to succeed at this level, but has the intangibles of a winner. If he succeeds, he’s a steal. Grade: B-
    • 44. Vladimir Ducasse, OT, Massachusetts (Seattle) – Ducasse is one of the drafts most underrated prospects and has a legit shot at becoming a LT down the road. Grade: A
    • 45. Damian Williams, WR, USC (Houston) – Texans grab a solid slot guy to offset the loss of Kevin Walter. Grade: B
    • 46. Jahvid Best, RB, California (New York Giants) – Will provide a veritable “thunder and lightning” combo paired with Brandon Jacobs. Best value of Round 2. Grade: A+
    • 47. Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama (Houston) – Jackson is a corner with great measurables who sometimes gets bored against the run. Grade: B
    • 48. Dekoda Watson, OLB, Florida State (St. Louis) – Undersized OLB in the same mold as Derrick Brooks, Ernie Sims, and Geno Hays. Grade: A-
    • 49. Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State (Buffalo) – Physically gifted RB who can’t catch the ball and has some durability concerns. Probably the best between-the-tackles guy in the draft. Grade: B
    • 50. Jason Worilds, OLB, Virginia Tech (San Francisco) – Niners continue hot streak with the selection of the underrated Worilds Grade: A
    • 51. Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona (Pittsburg) – Multifaceted TE prospect that needs to prove he can stay healthy. Grade: B+
    • 52. Eric Norwood, OLB, South Carolina (Indianapolis) – Undersized LB prospect who should contribute in pass rush situations. Grade: B
    • 53. Jimmy Graham, TE, Miami (Tampa Bay) – Raw TE who has the potential to be the best out of the class. Grade: A-
    • 54. Donald Butler, OLB, Connecticut (Seattle) – Smallish MLB with great speed (4.6) and range. Could excel in the Tampa 2. Grade: B+
    • 55. Charles Brown, OT, USC (Dallas) – Possible first round talent if he can answer questions around his weight. Grade: B+
    • 56. Ricky Sapp, OLB, Clemson (Green Bay) – Solid pass rusher who may be the most NFL ready of all the DE/OLB converts. Grade: A-
    • 57. Tyson Alualu, DT, California (Baltimore) - Versatile player who can play DT in the 4-3 or DE in the 3-4. Nonstop motor. Grade: A-
    • 58. Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech (Indianapolis) – Prototypical size for a safety. Has some tools to work with, solid hitter. Grade: B+
    • 59. Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford (Dallas) – Powerful inside runner that reminds me a bit of Mike Alstott. Makes a nice “Thunder” to Felix Jones’s “Lighting.” Grade: B
    • 60. Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana (San Diego) – Draft board riser benefitted from a very good Senior Bowl week and Combine performance. Grade: B
    • 61. Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida (New England) – Falls this far due to character concerns. Not sure how he fits in NE’s 3-4 system. Grade: B
    • 62. Cam Thomas, DT, UNC (Minnesota) – Solid prospect that I think is a better fit for the 3-4 as opposed to Minny’s 4-3. Grade: C+
    • 63. Colt McCoy, QB, Texas (Arizona) – Would be the perfect QB, if only he was 2 inches taller. Minor durability concerns. Grade: B+
    • 64. Chris Cook, CB, Virginia (New Orleans) - Tall (6'2) and lanky for a CB, Cook might be better off as a FS. Grade: B+

Putting this second round of evaluations together, I really started to realize just how deep and talented this draft class is. There are a number of players taken in this second round who would be first rounders if it was a different year. Overall, some very nice selections again in round 2, with my personal favorite being the Jahvis Best selection by the Giants.

Once again though, hats off to the GMs of these teams, as I thought the majority of the selections were spot-on and very good calls.

Big E, SICK, GISH and 7 others like this.
  2. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    A- Average through two rounds? I'll take it. Have to push that up to a solid "A" before the draft is done though.

3. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I think Cam Thomas would be much more effective in a 4-3 defense. He eats up blocks and is a run stuffer ala Pat Williams.

Pat Williams is 37 I needed to find a viable replacement someone just like him Cam Thomas fits that mold quite well. The Viking defense relies heavily on the Dline needed Williams replacement and Cam Thomas is the guy.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    McCoy played in Texas but was drafted by Arizona.
    Also, is 6-1 really too short?
    His arm strength and lack of pro-set snaps were my red-flags.

5. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    His lack of height and lower throwing motion worry me. If he was taller it wouldn't be a concern.

I think he will be fine under center. His arm isn't amazing but it's certainly not Chad Pennington either.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Its interesting you bring up Penny, cause thing thatreally ties them together is accuracy.
    His motion might indeed need to come up a bit. I've been thinking that for 2 seasons now, but he has proven to be fairly sucessful so far.

7. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    The guy you hear the most in comparison with McCoy is Brees. I don't really see it past the height similarities, but with McCoy I personally see a more athletic Jake Delhomme or maybe a weaker armed Jake Plummer. He fits best in a WC offense where he won't be asked to throw deep and ideally where he can use his athleticism.

The Chad Pennington comparisons I've heard have been used to describe a certain other QB who is still on the board.

GISH likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's got some Jeff Garcia in him IMO.

sports24/7 and Vengeful Odin like this.
  9. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Insert Gay joke here.

SICK, GISH and thats what she said like this.
  10. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    wussy

11. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    [​IMG]

B- my ***

12. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    You have to do rd 3 I didnt pick in rds 1 or 2

13. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    No Double D

14. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    That's a great call. I was trying to think of a better comparison that the ones I came up with. That's a very good one.

alen1 likes this.
  15. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I was grading Tebow, not his girlfriend.

She's an A+ :drool:

16. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Dunlap can play in a 3-4 system as a DE. He has the size and his main concern is inconsistencies... That's IMO.

I believe we just have different views on different players... buuuut schisno & me > you. Soooo :tongue2:

17. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    He didn't hit that so he fails IMO.

GISH and thats what she said like this.
  18. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Wait, the complaint about Bowman is that he's mostly suited as an OLB in the 4-3? You do realize Buffalo runs the 4-3, right?

19. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I do. He's just not my favorite prospect and I thought that he was drafted a little bit too high. I think you probably could have gotten him later in the second, that's all.

20. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    damn right! we only need one linebacker!

anlgp likes this.
  21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not if I had a say in it. :wink2:

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You run the 4-3? Buffalo, in real life, runs a 3-4.

23. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I wasn't aware of that. But yeah, we're sticking with the 4-3.

24. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    at 6'1 248 norwood is undersized? I don't get that....I'm not running a bill Parcells/George young style planet theory on defense. :confused: