1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The tempered pessimist

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Before I begin I wan't to say congrats to the coach and team for a very emotional win yesterday. The team looked like what we expected them to look like at the start of the season. However while I enjoyed the win, I can't help but still be pessimistic about this team. Coming off a by week, two weeks of pent up frustration and against a dinged up titans (1-4) record wise we did what we should have. Credit do but how long can you win on emotion? I not able to get on the hype train so easily I feel we need 5-6 games before I will become a believer. It's horrible to feel this way but being a Dolphins fan for so long I have seen this play out time and time again. 2-3 weeks into the games or when we lose 2-3 games in a row what happens to all this love for Campbell from the players, fans?

Good win, but im not ready to put on the fanboy glasses just yet and I hate that I feel this way... Anyone else feel the same?

Where was Parker? I didn't see him at all.

DolphinGreg likes this.
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Granted, I didn't see the game except for highlights, but Parker still being invisible is maybe the only negative to take away from yesterday's game?

I look at the rest of this season as one to just relax and see what happens. We should not have unfair expectations of Dan Cambell and the rest of this coaching staff, even after yesterday's performance. But we can certainly just enjoy the rest of the season and hope for the best. Campbell gets plenty of time to audition for the job and he has an opportunity to really earn it. But if he can't, Miami will get a new coach next season.

DolphinGreg likes this.
  3. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I understand where you're coming from and I think it's warranted. I'm also in wait-and-see mode, but I did like what I saw yesterday and am carefully optimistic about the direction of the team with Campbell at the helm. The players responded to his style, and in a very big way, now let's see if it holds for the remainder of the season.

As for Parker... we didn't need him did to win, did we? He is being held out because the other WR's in front of him seem to be more comfortable in the offense from a metal standpoint, is what it seems. I don't mind him being out, as long is he isn't missed. Would be nice if we could unleash him against NE.

Pandarilla and number21 like this.
  4. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    The only thing I disagree with is the title, being a realist is not being a pessimist, if you were a pessimist you would say that it ISN"T going to sustain itself.

I completely agree with the post, it's the only logical way to look at it, however, whatever happens, DC is a better HC than JP, and that, even though it may be a small win at the end of the day, it's still a win, and who knows, maybe we get lucky.

dolphin25 and DolphinGreg like this.
  5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No there are two other negatives...

Dallas Thomas is still a Miami Dolphin...

Our secondary isn't any good and we seem to give up 3rd and long often... Our front line did a lot to Mariota to make this not a problem but when Mariota had time, he was able to always get chunk yardage downfield.

Pandarilla and MonstBlitz like this.
  6. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Yep!

Thread post. (Mods/Admins - feel free to merge my thread into this one if that seems the right thing to do)

7. Splattoreus

Splattoreus New Member

Oct 4, 2015

I agree. Next weeks game should be fun to watch, but I remain skeptical against a team with a quarterback Like Tom Brady. The secondary yesterday did give up some 3rd and long plays, but we'll see! If they can compete and make things interesting, I'll be a happy phins fan.

8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I don't think any of us should be thinking playoffs or anything. I'm just glad to see some fight. Oh and Wake returning to form. It just isn't fun watching our defense when he's not "on".

9. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Why do people continually give critiques on a game that they haven't seen? That's like saying the big blockbuster movie coming for the summer of 2017 completely sucks. Why? I don't know...but it definitely sucks.

You simply cannot understand how hard the Dolphins played yesterday from a highlight reel or a stat sheet. For example, you can't see where Misi came up through the line on a blitz....only to make a tackle 34 yards downfield. You can't see the 6-8 PUNISHING hits Jones delivered over and over again, and you can't see the explosion at the line of scrimmage or how hard Miller ran on every carry. Likewise, you didn't see the dozen or so Titans that got knocked out of the game because Miami was lighting people up on every play...regardless if the ball was coming to their side of the field or away. There was one play where both Landry and Matthews were throwing hard blocks 30 yards downfield on a screen pass....even though the play only went for 9 yards. You can't see any of that though from highlights, even though that was the REAL STORY of the day.

Or how about Mr. Wake? Four sacks, two strips? It sounds great on paper, but that doesn't tell you about the 5 other sacks he had where the lineman was grabbing him from behind. Beast-Mode Wake would just smile, look at the ref and signal to move em back ten yards....this happened over and over again. The same goes for Suh...he slapped down two passes "officially" but he was fighting through double teams and still pressuring the QB, and Vernon was crashing in from insane angles. It was a bloodbath of a performance and so dominant that Titans were throwing punches in the 1st quarter.

By the way...was Vernon's hit dirty? You bet it was. Because these guys were fighting for their lives out there and punishing everyone who stood in their way on both sides of the ball. The looked like a 1972 version of the no-name defense at times and Tennessee just couldn't handle the intensity...it was apparent from the very first drive that this was going to be a blowout.

And for folks to say that was expected- I'm sorry, but you're full of crap. There was nothing expected about the way this team played at all....they would have dominated any team in the league yesterday. That's how bad-assed they were on every snap.

Tin Indian, dolphin25 and vt_dolfan like this.
  10. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Why do people feel the need to be the ones who can say....Its just one win, not ready to put on fanboy glasses yet, so let me start a thread so I can tell everyone that.

Im pretty sure we ALL KNOW its only one game. Its like the people who run around yelling the sky is falling, need to somehow out an asterisk next to any optimism they dare show.

Pandarilla and KeyFin like this.
  11. vt_dolfan

exactly....its the only logical way to look at it...so why start a thread to state it. Pretty sure we all get it. If you want to say they had a good game yesterday...say they had a good game yesterday. If you are happy they won yesterday, say you are happy they won yesterday. Leave it at that.

12. vt_dolfan

Theres a few reasons he didnt play as much yesterday. We ran a bunch of two tight end sets is one. The other is on a MUST WIN game, you have Rishard Mathews and Landry cemented on the field. Kenny Stills has started being a bigger part of the offense that Tannehill is getting in synch with. Obviously that showed on the deep pass down the field in the 4th qtr. So while we all want to see more Parker, there just is not enough snaps right now especially if we approach close to 30 run plays.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  13. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I was excited going in because I felt it was all coaching as to why they sucked. So, I was thrilled with how they played yesterday. Titans record is not good, but their defensive stats had been solid. I am optimistic more then I have been in years. I see 7-5 the rest of the way out as possible, perhaps better. I woulda said 0-12 with Philpin.

Pandarilla likes this.
  14. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Seems like at least the 2 first paragraphs are aimed at me. I admitted I didn't watch the game, and wasn't making any major comments on it. I just noticed Parker didn't record a stat. I put a question mark on the statement to indicate it was more of a question than a comment or statement.

It was the first time I haven't watched a game in 5 years, so I don't appreciate being called out on this as if it's something I do on a regular basis.

15. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Well, I don't think anyone is ready to say all is great and good, but I do say that after yesterday I have some hope restored that it could be. That was the team we were all sold on before the season started and if they can continue to play as they did yesterday we have a realistic chance to get back into this thing.

But, one game at a time and that starts next week with the freakin' Texans! Out of all the teams in the league, save the Pats who we get next week, there is not a single team I want a win against more than the Texans. We have to get that monkey off of our back!

16. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I wasn't calling you out at all....just read the forum and other posts here to see that several didn't watch the game. For example, someone posted, "The secondary sucks" up above....yet our secondary had two picks and about five knockouts yesterday. It's clear that they didn't watch the game because that secondary certainly didn't suck. The same goes for the comments about the offensive line....or that this game was a fluke. If you saw the game, then it would be hard to say that yesterday happened by accident and it won't be a repeat performance next week.

Again though, the comment was not about you in particular...but about everybody who leaves harsh comments without knowing what actually took place yesterday. This was not the same team we saw in weeks 1-4 or even the best game we had in 2014. It was something entirely different...it was a championship football team imposing their will on an inferior opponent. There's no other way to describe it.