1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Starks Finger

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sippi, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Sippi

Sippi Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I have barely seen anything about this, but I'm really confused. I saw him make that play yesterday and he did "something" to the Dolphins bench. Then I saw in a thread yesterday of a still shot and it's very clear to me that he was flipping the bench off. Has any comment been made by him or the organization about this? Was this due to his being franchise tagged and no extension being reached? Was this a joke? I would assume that some info has come out about this or that he has been asked about it, but I can't find anything. I thought I would ask you folks since I seem to get better info from you then I do from the media.

Bpk likes this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Armando says that he's mad as Hell at the team for not giving him the big time contract that he wants, and for starting Odrick ahead of him yesterday. As long as he plays well on game day, then oh well, I guess. Seeming more likely this is his last year on the team. Very unprofessional of him.

3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It was probably a joke I highly doubt he's so mad getting paid franchise tag money when he's not worth that much to begin with for one season.

4. Scrap

Scrap Active Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Chester, Va
    He had a post on Twitter, but he deleted it. He said something to the effect of "if the NFL didn't see it y'all are definitely telling them".

Bpk likes this.
  5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    we have no context, he could have been flipping off one person on the bench, and not the whole bench/team.
    on the other hand, if he's flipping off the coaching staff, then they need to discipline him. if that doesn't work, someone might be willing to trade a high pick for one of the best DTs in the game.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  6. Xiidaen

Xiidaen Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 3, 2007
    toto, Bpk, CaribPhin and 3 others like this.
  7. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    I thought this was a joke. Didn't someone on the team do this last year or two years ago?

8. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    A.J. Hawk did it a few years ago. Fined $10k.

9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Ouch.

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah, I think this is worthy of its own thread. Kinda hidden in the Wallace drama thread...gotta love what #Xomar is saying about this... (that Philbin doesn't manage egos and personalities very well"... :lol: orly?

[​IMG]

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I kind of took it he was doing it at a teammate. That seemed the likeliest explanation even when he did it on the field and I saw it the first time.

But I do remember the A.J. Hawk incident and that did actually become somewhat national news to where he needed to explain that it was an inside joke with a teammate, and he still paid a fine.

Bpk and Mcduffie81 like this.
  12. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    big hairy deal

13. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    We will probably never find out his intent unfortunately. Will be interesting to see how the team handles this. Even if it was a "joke", still should merit a fine.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

finyank13 likes this.
  14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    good thing we won otherwise this would be reported as a total meltdown (Wallace and Starks) after week one and that Philbin is on the hotseat. Is it week 2 yet?

MrClean, Bpk, CaribPhin and 3 others like this.
  15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If they lost to THAT Browns team missing Josh Gordon, Jason Pinkston, Shawn Lauvao, Dion Lewis, Barkevious Mingo, and Ahtyba Rubin...hell, they might have deserved it.

I still have absolutely no idea what possessed people to pick the Browns in that game, and I did indeed put my money where my mouth was. Even went so far as to buy an alternative point spread of Dolphins -3.5 just for some extra payoff.

CaribPhin and Paul 13 like this.
  16. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Made more sense that it was to a teammate than to the coaching staff, probably someone saying to him "we've all got sacks, when are you going to get one?" :lol:

Of course, the media, and Armando in particular, had to go with the discontent on a winning team angle. I honestly think Armando's not even a Dolphins fan, the win was hardly even in the books when he starts spouting his negativity crap with hardly a mention made of the fact that we just opened on the road with a win.

I know there was a lot of room for improvement after yesterday, but at least let us enjoy the win for a day or two!

Fin D likes this.
  17. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    An angry Randy Starks is a great thing for the defense.

Aquafin, gilv13 and NolePhin15 like this.
  18. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    It's well document he is not a Dolphins' fan. But that part doesn't bother me in and of itself. I don't mind writers being unbiased by the team they are covering. I want objectivity.

19. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    How do we know he was doing it to Philbin?

MikeHoncho and toto like this.
  20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Because...Armando.

21. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    When i saw it during the game, I just assumed it was towards the Browns Bench, and thought that was awesome (not classy mind you, but in the heat of battle, pretty awesome).

Bpk likes this.
  22. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    It makes sense for Starks to do it for either reason (Mad at coaches or Joking). What's he going to say, "I was pissed at the guy who benched my arse in the first place?" Yeah....that'll get you playing time and a big time contract.

Bpk likes this.
  23. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Nothing to see here, just a speed bump while flying out of Cleveland, is that what I'm to think? Going by most of you, YES, well here's my thought on it.

We've just won our first game of the season, a road game to boot, yet players are mad .... oh its just a joke, "Talk to coach, I don't make the qame plan." while departing to the team bus, the agent takes to twitter to display his displeasure ( a sure fire way to make team officials upset and more set in their way of doing what he is mad about) gets me to thinking about 2007 and a HC who had no control over his team ..... we went 1-15

This is NOT a good sign ..... deal with it Joe ... TODAY!

24. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    We could have won the game without either player. Would have been harder, but neither guy can say he was vital to the game.

Starks specifically won't be needed at all. Odrick isn't as good, but the drop off isn't gigantic. Starks could ride pine all season. Lets see him get that big contract from the bench.

25. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Come on. If he's doing it to his own bench he obviously is joking with someone.

MrClean and Fin D like this.
  26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    A-effing-men

27. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    How obvious can it be when 90% of people's question was, "Who did he fiip off and why did he do it?" Its obviously....not that obvious. If it were that obvious we likely wouldn't be having this conversation. Every beat writer we had was like, "Hell.....I wish I would have known...I would have asked him that."

28. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I thought it was obvious Starks was a little miffed/annoyed about being benched and put behind J.O. Starks was hell bent on showing the world that was a mistake, and after his sack, he gave the bench the finger. What can or would he say POST-FINGER. He said post-finger what he had to say. The important take from all of this is that Starks had something to prove and he was man-up enough to go out and prove it. The finger was his exclamation point. Starks > J.O.

If I'm philbin I make Starks my best friend now. He pushed his buttons and benched him and Starks responded with an excellent game and some FINGER-LOVE. Now it is time for Philbin to man up and bring Starks into his office and let him know he knows he should have been starting the entire time and he's glad Starks showed him that. End of Story.

Starks/Sols with a JO rotation - It doesn't get any better than this @ DT.

MrClean likes this.
  29. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Those asking the question are looking for drama. Turn to The Kardashians for that crap. Teammates are like family. So unless there is a known beef with another person on the team, you can safely assume it was in jest.

Seriously. Those looking for something other than it being a joke are just as bad as the media. The media feeds these people.

P h i N s A N i T y and Fin D like this.
  30. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Giving Starks way to much credit for the play IMO. Wakes pressure forced weeden to run for it and Starks was just lucky to be there. Starks didnt even get off his block, he was barely passed the LOS. Vaughn Martin could have made that play.

31. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    funny thought... what if it was directed at Philbin and then the camera pans to him and he gives Starks the old "up yours" with his arms (you know the old L up to the face)... they start motioning each other back and forth. hahah... that's something out of Naked Gun right there.

32. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Duh. I cannot honestly fathom how anyone could believe anything different. Do those people also read National Enquirer and the Globe every week looking for more silly news?

33. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    If he's just flipping off the bench for guys ragging him about losing the starting job after a sack, no biggie, sounds like they were just having some fun. However, it's on TV, NFL, kids watching, standard to uphold, etc...fine incoming i'll bet

34. MrClean

You touch on one thing I've not seen mentioned. Starks played like man possessed yesterday. Starks is obviously our best interior pass rusher IMO. If starting Odrick can limit Starks snaps on run downs, and keep him even fresher for passing downs, it is win win for everyone. That one sack he got with one hand while Cousins was holding him, was pure effort and a thing of beauty.
    I said to Pauly that I thought Starks and Odrick were close in snap count. I was wrong. Starks and Soliai were though.
    Odrick played 61, Soliai 45, and Starks 40.
    It is also good to see the Odrick playing DE experiment from last season appears to be over. He is just so much more effective on the inside.

P h i N s A N i T y and Paul 13 like this.
  35. MrClean

OMG, some kid may have seen someone flipping the bird? How awful. :lol: Knowing that this is the No Fun League, you are right, a fine is likely coming. $10k to someone making $8 mil though is about like $10 to us common folk.

36. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Without context this thread title is ****ing hilarious