1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Road to 10

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Nov 28, 2016.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    The Miami Dolphins after starting out a dismal 1-4 have truly turned things around under Adam Gase and won 6 in a row, are currently 2nd place in the AFC East and sitting in the number 6 seed for the playoffs at 7-4. For Dolphins fans, this has been a long time coming but to get to the playoffs, the Dolphins are going to have to win at least 3 out of their last 5. Can it be done? Here's a breakdown of the remaining opponents, their current record and current streaks:

Dec 4: at Baltimore (6-5; W1)
    Dec 11: vs Arizona (4-6; L2)
    Dec 17: at NY Jets (3-8; L3)
    Dec 24: at Buffalo (6-5; W2)
    Jan 1: vs New England (9-2; W2)

Now on paper, we SHOULD be able to win at least 3 of the remaining 5 but what I am fearful of are our last 2 remaining games; at Buffalo and against New England.

Ralph Wilson Stadium in late December is a BRUTAL place to play, especially against a crowd that's as supportive of the Bills as Buffalo fans are. If this game ends up being a must win game, we'll definitely need our full compliment of offensive line starters and Ajayi is going to have to have one of his 200 yard performances.

New England? At times, we seem to be to New England what the Jets are to us...that thorn in their side, but you have to call it like it is. The Patriots are one of the elite teams in the NFL and whether you like them or not; whether they cheat or not; they more often than not, find a way to win. I'm not counting this game as a lose already, but I'm just trying to look at it realistically.

Now, losing to Buffalo and losing to New England really wouldn't be that big of a deal except for one important thing...they are our last two opponents of the season and the absolute LAST thing we want to do is go into the playoffs on a 2 game losing streak.

2. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    1 game at a time

3. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I think Baltimore and New England are our hardest games. My gut feeling is that those two are losses. The other three? I know that Buffalo aren't a pushover but something inside me is feeling a sweep of Buffalo coming this year. The Jets should be easier than Buffalo but I'm unsure about it somehow. I can bear to put a W in that week slot - although I feel like we might only win one between the Bills and Jets. I've not been following the Cardinals this year, but from their record they've been struggling so it's the sort of game I'm hoping the 'new era' Dolphins can and should win.

So my gut feeling is:

Ravens L
    Cards W
    Jets W ?
    Buffalo W ?
    Pats L

Having said that, I could see us only winning against the Jets and Cards and I wouldn't be surprised. This team has won 6 straight but has shown struggles and weaknesses throughout those wins and unless something changes, those issues will catch up with us. The gravitational pull of the mean average might well drag us back down to earth.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    dolphin25 and Finster like this.
  4. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Those are some good defenses we'll be facing. It'll be a good test for our offense.

Ranking by points allowed per game, NE and Baltimore are #3 and #4, with Arizona and Buffalo #11 and #12. Ranking by yards allowed, Arizona and Baltimore are #1 and #2, with Buffalo, Jets and Patriots between 10-13.

If our offense can drive down the field and score with some regularity against these defenses, we can definitely make some noise in the playoffs. Defense of course has to show up too. Can't lay an egg like on Sunday.

dolphin25 likes this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    For some reason Im more worried about the cards then the ravens. Cards record wise look like crap but when you look at their roster they at scary

6. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I disagree. Fans don't prepare for or play in games. We get to look ahead without any negative repercussions.

One game at a time is not fun. This thread is fun. Football is fun. Have some fun, will you?

vt_dolfan and Unlucky 13 like this.
  7. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I feel pretty much the same, I think we go 3-2 or 2-3, either way if we show fight down the stretch, i'll be very happy with 9-7, thrilled with 10-6, this team is going in the right direction, the arrow is finally pointing up for us, this is a good thing.

dolphin25 likes this.
  8. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    this is a brutal schedule.
    We need the Unicorns back healthy starting next week

9. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm the same way. I chuckle when people suggest fans should only look at things one game at a time? Coaches and players? Sure! But we have nothing to gain or lose by doing whatever we feel like. I'm always looking to the future.

I also want to add that I don't see the 1-4 start as "dismal". The league stuck it too us by having us travel to Seattle and New England to start the season, and we lost two close games to a couple of the best teams in the league in their houses. Since then, we're 7-2, and both of those losses can be highly attributed to the devestated OL that we ran out there in Weeks 4 & 5.

I think that 3-2 the final five games is very doable. The problem is that it might not be enough. Coming up with scenerios where we miss the playoffs at 11-5 is so easy its scary. We basically need to root for New England to win the next four, and for Oakland to win out.

10. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Totally agree about the Cardinals. Good roster, just being soured by some wishy-washy Palmer play.

11. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Yeah, I see 4 of 5 as wins if we have the Unicorn line back. BTW, we have beat the Pats at home the last three years or so? Even last year when they needed a win to keep HFA for the playoffs. I'd peg the Buffalo game as the loss out of the five games left, but again, without the Unicorn line we could go 2 of 5.

Almost December and the Phins are in the thick of it. I don't want this ride to end. :)

12. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Amen....oh lordy Amen!

13. thetylernator

thetylernator You're as cold as ice, Officer Friendly.

Dec 31, 2014
    I was thinking about this earlier; 10 wins certainly seems like the magic number this year. Here's how I think we get there:

@ Baltimore: L, 23-17
    Ryan Tannehill finds a rhythm with his receivers for the second consecutive week, but Jay Ajayi's struggles hinder the Dolphins offense in chilly Baltimore. Their undoing is the ferocious front seven of the Ravens, who record four sacks and numerous tackles-for-loss. Miami slips out of the immediate playoff picture, for the time being.

vs. Arizona: W, 31-13
    The anxiety builds in Hard Rock Stadium, as the Dolphins approach a must-win game against a floundering Cardinals squad. Just before kickoff, a silver lining appears: Xavien Howard and Mike Pouncey, previously game-time decisions, will in fact play in this contest. The result is nothing short of magnificent, as Mike Pouncey helps Jay Ajayi reestablish himself in the 200 yard club, while Xavien Howard bursts onto the scene for a pick-six. Fans are exuberant again, but Denver (9-4) still holds a 1-game lead over Miami.

@ Jets: W, 14-10
    Miami sweeps New York for the first time since 2009 after an ugly win at MetLife. This time, riding the defense to victory, Cameron Wake and Co. force four Jets turnovers. The flipside? Miami had three of their own. Yet, this was exactly the kind of game the "new-era" Dolphins knew how to win, coming up big when it mattered most. Miami moves back into the final wildcard spot after a Denver (9-5) loss to New England (11-3).

@ Bills: L, 19-13 OT
    The offense sputters all afternoon, and the defense just doesn't know how to contain Tyrod Taylor outside of the pocket. The lone Miami touchdown comes from Jakeem Grant on a punt return. Miscommunication by the defense in OT results in a 35-yard touchdown scamper from Lesean McCoy. The good news? The Broncos (9-5) drop another one to the Chiefs (11-4), which leaves Miami in position to secure the sixth and final wildcard spot; albeit, the race just got a lot tighter with Pittsburgh (8-7), Buffalo (8-7), and Tennessee (8-7) threatening.

vs. Patriots: W, 34-22
    Miami enters the final week of the regular season with one mentality: win, and you're in.

And boy, do they do that. Ryan Tannehill takes advantage of an injury-depleted Patriots defense by connecting with Jarvis Landry on not one, not two, but three touchdown passes. The defense really embraces the "bend but don't break" mantra, surrendering over 400 yards of total offense, but holding New England to an astounding five field-goal attempts. It was an all-around team victory on this warm New Year Day, and the rest of the NFL is taking notice.

The Dolphins, coming off such a momentous win, are now preparing for their first playoff berth in nearly a decade.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Brasfin and Unlucky 13 like this.
  14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    If we lose to Baltimore or Buffalo, the road to the playoffs gets infinitely harder. So those are our two MUST-WIN contests. And we should have our entire line for Buffalo anyway, plus Parker close to 100%. So I'm not as scared of Buffalo as I am the Ravens.

For New England though, I think we take that game at home with a healthy offense. That contest will essentially define the 2016 Dolphins whether we make the playoffs or not, and I just don't see how Gase blows that opportunity with everything he's done so far.

That leaves NY and Arizona, two teams we should beat given the way we've been playing. The Jets beat themselves yesterday against New England and that's a trait average teams seem to have....they just can't close out games.

So I'm expecting us to finish 4-1 or 3-2...with the losses coming from Baltimore and/or Buffalo. We NEED that Baltimore game so darn bad though folks, which means our streak almost has to continue to 9 in order to see the post-season. Then if we split with NE/Buffalo, so be it.

15. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

We are winning out.

We will be AFC East Champions and finish as the second seed in the playoffs. Oakland will be number 1.

dolphin25, KeyFin, Agua and 3 others like this.
  16. thetylernator

thetylernator You're as cold as ice, Officer Friendly.

Dec 31, 2014
    This is okay, too. :dolphin:

vt_dolfan likes this.
  17. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    I can't deal with the heartbreak. 1 game at a time.

Finster likes this.
  18. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Toughest two games are @Bal & @Buff. I don't think 10 wins gets us in.

19. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    It's going to be hard for more than one out of KC, Pitt, Baltimore, Denver and Buffalo to make it to 10 wins...they all have brutal schedules down the stretch. I'm sure one of them will rise up to the challenge but I seriously doubt that two of them will.

dolphin25 likes this.
  20. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    To me it comes down to can our OL stay healthy? If we can keep 4 of our starters on the field, that means we can run the ball, our defense is more rested and it opens up our passing game. I could see 10-11.

If we continue to see injuries at OL, I'd say 9-10 wins.

Bal- L
    AZ- W
    NYJ- W
    Buf- L
    NE- W