1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the real story, shuttle times vs 40 times

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Apr 1, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/03/31/lateral-agility-better-indicates-field-speed

Now one thing Dolphins draft heads do know is Ireland places stock in the three cone drill, but the shuttle runs could be just as illuminating:

If this theory holds true, look at all of the DE to OLB conversion types who had huge differentials between their 40times and their 20 yd shuttle time.

And the upper level performers fit "the prototype" 6'3, 260 pds...

Names such as Moats, Tracy, Sheffield, Austen Lane, Thad Gibson, all have been on the Dolphins radar.

And the two most interesting names imho are:

Jerry Hughes
    George Selvie

Selvie imho is a SOLB with better speed than he showed in his disappointing 40 time this predraft.

mbmonk, MrClean, Conuficus and 7 others like this.
  2. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I just saw this Pads, nice post.....

You know I am starting to fall in love with Hughes more and more....Selvie I am kinda down on....I can see a big run on OLD/DE types coming for Miami, there are a decent amount of them that are worth looking seriously at, maybe one of the deepest positions in the draft this year.....

I would go defense the first 3 rounds...too many good prospects to pass up on...

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No way is Selvie a SOLB IMO. He's worse against the run than Larry English was when he came out.

A lot of those numbers on the WR's stand out on tape, i.e. Jacoby Ford.

padre31 likes this.
  4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Selvie will be there in the mid-late rounds IMO

padre31 likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Which is what I'm counting on FY, "my" draft begins in the 4th rd and runs into the later rds, that is where Selvie makes sense.

finyank13 likes this.
  6. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Two of my favorite off the radar p[rospects are Michael Greco and Matt Mayberry....Greco clocked 4.4. and 4.1 shuttle...for good measure he threw up 22 reps and a 6.8 shuttle at 224 poounds...the reason I first noticed him was in the Buffalo game I think where he looked EXTREMELY instinctive and knocked the snot out of people, but I did not know his measurables, this kid could be a hell of a safety....I gotta say I rank Greco in the 3-4 area and he will probably be a 7 or PFA....... Matt Mayberry ran 4.57 on the slowest watches and some had him under 4.5, a 4.3 shuttle and 27 reps at 241 pounds and a 9'11 broad jump..........now the reason I loved Mayberry was the Iowa game when he was the best LB on the field, including Big A and AJ Edds.....when you look at these two measurables and watch them on the field you gotta ask what am I missing...these guys are 3-4 type guys.......and sometimes play higher than that and no one mentions them......but your splits and the comparison hold very well for these two guys also......................I would watch Mayberry as an inside/outside guy in the late 4 to 6 range as a guy that can damn well play some ball.

MrClean and padre31 like this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I've seen Mayberry's name come up before in Padre's unquenchable thirst to find draftable prospects with those last 7 picks:

Sadly www.sidelinescouting.com is down for the moment, but he was listed in that 6th or 7th rd UDFA area.

He is on Twitter however:

http://twitter.com/maybs43

BTW...my boi Dimitri Tsoumpas's split:

5.46 and 4.73...which is kinda large.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Check out the guy from the leader board of the split times:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cm8qVpMBxA"]YouTube- JUNIOR GALETTE[/ame]

Dude has it, he has that slipperiness, and is a late rd prospect.

This is a really deep yr at OLB/DE.

Not to gush too much about this guy, but notice how much faster he plays than the players around him?

They look stuck in sand compared to Gallete

my 2 cents likes this.
  9. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Jerry Hughes just keeps rising in my book. He is tops among the top defensive end conversion prospects in short shuttle differential, and he is also at the top in his ten yard split time. Plus, his three cone drill time was less than 7. He has better functional football speed at his size than Dez Bryant has.

Plus, while he doesn't have his size, Jerry Hughes is the one player who most closely resembles Demarcus Ware on the football field.

I still favor Rolando McClain and Derrick Morgan, but Jerry Hughes may have an edge over Brandon Graham for me as my #3 guy at this point.

10. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Also, in looking at Sergio Kindle's numbers, his numbers seem to verify what you see on film. He's a good straight line athlete that is tight hipped and lacks the lateral agility and quickness to change direction quickly. He had a 4.65 forty and a 4.53 shuttle. A differential of 0.12, well below the average of the defensive ends and outside linebackers.

padre31 likes this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree, the question then becomes, do you take a OLB at #12?

Or go for one of the supposedly "lesser' prospects that have solid football speed differentials?

And what I find most revealing about those splits (besides a new metric entering the draft head lexicon) is the Ireland and Crew have been all over the top 20yd shuttle players...maybe 35% of the names on the list have been in for a visit no matter their college background.

12. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I take OLB at 12.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We could, my theory is they bring in 3 OLB's in this draft.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/ilb.shtml#mayberry

15. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

I don't..
    @ 12 I take Dez Bryant or even MT. Cody two guys who are plug and play for 10 years.

IMO taking guy who've never played in space and therefore you really can't project the mental part of the position; plus the $$$$ involved. Bad risk that set back a defenses overall development

Later on, I'll take development guys who are cheaper.

JMO

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It is difficult to say whether or not D Bryant will be there at #12 or not, and his differential between his 40 time and his shuttle times was .7 of a second.

Brandon Lafell's split was closer to .40.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    For those interested in a Wr in this draft:

I've read that Antonio Brown, Scott Long, E Sanders, Mike Williams, B Lafell, Andre Roberts all are on the Dolphins radar...:wink2:

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Antonio Brown can play. He's small but he's got quick feet and some leg drive despite his smaller size. Andre Roberts has hands that sometimes seem like they have stick 'um on them. He doesn't drop many balls. Dropped six or seven total in his college career IIRC. Caught something like 286 of 292 I think. Problem with Roberts is that he can't beat the press. He's got great concentration but if you jam him, he has a lot of trouble IMO.

19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I appreciate all your untiring work, bringing this info to us Mr P.
    I don't think I am really feeble minded or dense, but to me this subtracting 20 yd shuttle from the 40 times, says very little. If one would want to combine quickness drills and speed to arrive at some sort of better conclusion, why not add 40 time, 3 cone and 20 yd shuttle and take the lowest number?

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because the 20yd shuttle covers lateral agility the 40 simply measures straight line speed and doesn't give a metric for how fluid a prospects hips are and what their game speed is like.

Which says quite alot about a prospect.

21. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

So why subtract them? Would that not penalize those who post good times in both relative toward those who only post a good shuttle to go with a mediocre 40?

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The writer is merely pointing out the fact that is a device that teams use to attempt to judge on the field speed.

If anything, it rebalances the equation and takes some of the importance out of the 40yd sprint, which imho makes sense as only rarely does a play in the NFL cover 40yds in a straight line.

Unless it is used to gauge special teams wannabes.