1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Rams take on both Longs, Dorsey and Gholston

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by adamprez2003, Apr 2, 2008.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Here's a recap of Devaney's comments on the two Longs, Dorsey and Gholston

OT Jake Long … says he is not as athletic as Joe Thomas, who was a top five pick last season… but points out that Thomas was an A+ athlete… says J. Long is a B+ and that’s plenty good enough, especially since he’s so intense and competitive.

Gholston: most explosive defensive talent from a pass rush standpoint… has the “one dimension that every team craves, an explosive pass rusher.” Adds, however, that Gholston, while respectable against the run, wouldn’t be as strong against the run as Chris Long.

Rams will visit LSU next week (DT Glenn Dorsey) and then go to SoCal to see DE Sedric Ellis. They’re excited to see Dorsey; love his personality — but of course teams have questions about Dorsey’s old stress-fracture injury. Devaney agreed it is “scary to use a high pick on a DT.” Why? Because so many have to change defensive systems when they enter the pros…. he cited Dwayne Robertson (Jets bust) as an example.

Disagreed that Chris Long is just a try-hard, effort, high-motor guy only. Says he has real talent and will get sacks and you can win championships with him. Compared him to Patrick Kerney but touted Long’s athletic ability.

Sports Illustrated compared Chris Long to Lawrence Taylor… Devaney used the old Lloyd Bentsen line (on Dan Quayle). Says he knows LT, his Redskins teams competed against LT, and Chris Long is no LT.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/be...ints/2008/03/billy-devaney-on-the-rams-draft/

ATVZ400 likes this.
  2. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Yeah, I agree. Chris Long is no LT. But then again, if the part of LT missing is the Snort and the Blow, well... is that so bad.

Deep down, I want Jake Long, and hope his desire and drive are enough to overcome the little deficit I see him have in athleticism needed at Left Tackle. Personally, I want a large, mobile, agile and hostile (to borrow a phrase) front line, and I would not mind if the first two picks were O linemen. But in this day and age, I don't think it will happen.

I also think that the Phins will pick Chris Long first because Defense is always the strong suit in consistent Championship caliber teams, and it appears that the team will be built around a stultifying defense, and an adequate offense.

I have neither the suspicion, nor the inclination to draft Matt Ryan. I'd rather take Matt Flynn in the 6th, and let McCown and Beck have at it.

The two tackles could work, but it would take some effort from what we have been told. Personally, I don't like the 3-4 as a staple. It is the defense d'jour right now, though, and everyone is heading that way, or so we would believe. I'd much rather be able to play a 4-3 with the capacity to take out a DL and put in another LB than be stuck in the 3-4. It won't be more than a few seasons before some of the Offensive gurus figure out a better way to attack it, and another variant of the 4-3 will become the fad defense of the day. What all this basically means is the Dorsey and Ellis will probably be way out in left field as far as the Dolphins are concerned on draft day, and we'll go whale hunting for the middle of the dLine.

3. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I agree that I don't like the 3-4. And with more teams moving to it finding the players you need for it is a little harder. I think the 4-3 is more consistent and with fewer people running it that means you have a better chance to get the players you need for it. And let's face it the defensive linemen you need are a bit different in each of these defenses. And the 3-4 puts a much higher premium on linebackers. And top quality linebackers are already a ***** to find.