1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The positives list thread-Week 2

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    1. Mike Pouncey will be the third Dolphin Center in the Hall of fame. Nobody on this team has played better, including Reggie Bush. The start to his career is similar to Jake Long's. Let's hope that he stays healthy. If he does..I say 8-10 pro bowl appearances, and a trip to Canton.

2. Reggie Bush kills the "RB is overvalued" argument. Not many backs have that acceleration that he has when finding a crease. Not many more can hit "homeruns" like he can. If Pouncey is our best player, Bush is our signature / billboard player. IMO, the groundwork for his contract extension should be laid out. Let's hope he doesn't want to break us.

3. The Dolphin front seven: Where elite RB's go to die. it all starts with our Tackle Tandem, and the Dolphin ends that can run with anybody. Odrick included.

4. One sore spot in that front seven has been Karlos Dansby. Not on this day. he lived up to his billing, and save for one bad angle/slow start on a run, and one embarrassing play, He was solid, and solid is good.

5. Reshad Jones is slow. But he can play football. He moved well in space, and he always packs a punch. It remains to be seen if his perceived "slowness" is due to the mental part of his game, or his physical ability. For now, optimism on Reshad Jones gets a boost.

6. Brian Hartline is very capable, and it is a good sign that he can thump poor competition. He has always shown that, which makes him a solid #2. Next to the word "Value" should be a picture of Hartline. Another contract negotiation worth following.

7. Upon further review, Richie Incognito is an ******* and a flat out thug. But he is "ours" and it feels good to have that guy on our side. You WIN with guys like him. He's mean, and effective.

8. Won't mention Jake Long, because he is expected to be excellent every week and he usually is. But you really don;t expect Jonathan Martin to be steady and consistent, but this was a vast improvement from week 1 and a reason for optimism going forward.

9. Coach Philbin seemed much more involved and intrusive with his assistants, and I say that in a good way. I prefer the more hands on type to the delegator. One interesting moment in the 1st quarter (opening drive): Reggie Bush asks out of action in the middle of the drive. He gets waved back in. This is one of my pet peeves, and under Coach Philbin, I have seen players told to get back in the huddle more in 6 games than I saw in the previous 10 years. The game just started, why are you asking out of the game?

Feel free to add:

ToddPhin, Vengeful Odin, Bpk and 10 others like this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I thought Bush got whacked pretty hard when he asked out of the game.

3. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I'll also add that his next few runs weren't very good after he asked out. Maybe he should have been allowed to have a rest.

4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Lamar Miller was a positive, he looked decisive and had a quick burst.

Ozzy, dolfan32323 and PhiNomina like this.
  5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I agree. He earned it

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I actually thought Reggie was waving off being subbed out? He had just ripped off a couple nice runs and had a rhythm going and it looked more to me like he was waving his hand saying "No, let me stay in"

7. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    nope. He was asking for a sub. They waved him back on.

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Reggie Bush had a great game, don't get me wrong, but there were times early on (2nd quarter in particular) that he struggled find and/or hitting the correct hole to get to. Lamar Miller looked more decisive in that regard. And for the guff he's getting about the one missed blitz pickup, he had one on the very first drive of the game when he spelled Reggie where he absolutely saved Tannehill from getting destroyed.

Agree that Mike Pouncey is the most impressive Dolphins thus far this year. Randy Starks is a close second.

I thought it was Kevin Burnett that got stiff-armed into oblivion, not Dansby. Dansby played very well save for the TD pass Oakland had, but Chris Clemons' takes the cake for taking by far and away the worst angle I've ever seen an NFL safety take on that play. If anything, in regards to the LB corps, if you asked me which one I'd pick to upgrade over, at this point it's Kevin Burnett.

The secondary worries me in pass coverage. I think they were mighty fortunate to have been playing the Raiders yesterday and not someone with a better passing game. Reshad Jones had some nice plays. But, color me jealous after seeing what 49ers S Dashon Goldson did in their game last night. I'd kill to have him, or someone like him, play FS for Miami next season and move Jones to more of an in-the-box role.

Brian Hartline. Nice game. Keep it up.

Jonathan Martin played pretty well yesterday as well. I'm interested in seeing how good this line becomes if they can stay healthy.

Some of Kevin Coyle's schemes and player rotations are a bit confusing, but it's hard to argue against having the best ypc allowed average in the NFL having faced Arian Foster and Darren McFadden in two consecutive weeks.

ToddPhin, Bpk and MrClean like this.
  9. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Special Teams in general. We gave up a long return but Fields owned the field position battle which allowed us to put the game away. Thigpen has a nice burst and has been solid on returns and the coverage units just get it done every single time. Kudos to Rizzi.

Bpk likes this.
  10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing with Reggie B and backs in general is they can win games, they can make huge plays, but the 250ish/4ypa type who cannot hit Hr's is the old way.

New Rb is a long time CFL prototype, small, and extremely fast, can house it on any touch.

11. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    WEEK 2:

Brandon Marshall: 11 catches/143 yards

Brain Hartline: 12 catches/161 yards

And he didn't require 3/4 of all attempts to get it.

Bpk likes this.
  12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I would have to take a look at it. The signal for a player trying to come off the field is him tapping the side or top of his own helmet. Is that what you saw?

13. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Ewwww yeah I see what you're doing here but no, don't.

xphinfanx likes this.
  14. 407PhinFan

407PhinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Agree on Reggie and his style of running back, disagree on the obsolescence of a big bruiser. If you have a consistent 4.0 ypa 250 dude who can hammer it in, he'll be successful. The bruiser just can't carry a horrible team, if he's not capable of any big plays, because he'd have to be the primary offense generator.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That in particular...I mean, that's a "wow" development.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  16. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If other people say they saw the sideline waving him back in I believe that. However I didn't....and I never saw him make a move towards the sideline. I saw him raise his hand above his head with his palm sort of outward toward the sideline rather than waving someone in or doing as you said. But I only saw it in real time so I could very well be incorrect as Section said.

Its also possible we are talking about separate points in the game as well I suppose.

I guess its just hard for me to believe that with how hard Reggie works he would want to come out of the game after three or four great carries on the first drive.

17. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Interceptions

Drew Brees/4
    Matt Cassell/3
    Jay Cutler/5
    Ryan Fitzpatrick/3
    Andrew Luck/3
    Eli Manning/3
    Mathew Stafford/4
    Ryan Tannehill/3
    Michael Vick/6
    Brandon Weedon/4

Just a stat, doesn't this seem like a high rate of interceptions? Tannehill had one bad game so far but he has good company and some beating him at it.

Edit: Bradford was wrong Thanks CK

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not sure if it's really a big trend or if it's just that certain guys you wouldn't expect (Vick, Stafford, Brees, Manning) are the culprits. Aaron Rodgers has been pretty dead from a fantasy perspective as well.

Also Sam Bradford only has 1 pick to date. He's coming around nicely this year. I was real disappointed in his 2011 because I was extremely high on him as a QB coming out.

19. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    jesus man stop comparing the CFL with the NFL....its disgusting

BlameItOnTheHenne and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  20. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Thanks I corrected that. Tannehill needs to keep from having those bad games it's a huge difference with no turnovers, 3 is just to much to overcome even for most really good teams.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's true, you may not wish to hear it, what we are seeing now is what I've seen for yrs in the CFL.

As for the 250ish back who goes for 4 ypc..why run them when you can pass for 6 ypa?

Where is the bruiser going?

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The quirky trend for me was how Week 2 was totally opposite Week 1 for the rookie QBs.

Brandon Weeden went from having a DREADFUL performance against the Eagles, with a rare 5 passer rating, to having a really good day against the Bengals with a 115 passer rating. And he didn't compile the latter by only throwing the ball 20 times or something like that, he threw even more passes against the Bengals than he did the Eagles. You want to talk about a total turnaround.

Andrew Luck also went from a 53 in Week 1 to a 107 in Week 2. Russell Wilson went from a 62 in Week 1 to a 115 in Week 2. And of course Tannehill went from a 39 in Week 1 to a 91 in Week 2.

Robert Griffin was the opposite. He had an inhuman 140 in Week 1 followed by a human 86 in Week 2.

23. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    More of an "Its about F'ing Time!" development. A lot of resources put into it

24. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Atleast you didn't ask for pics to prove it.:lol:

25. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    RG3 did have 2 rushing TDs too I think.

26. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    I'll be rooting for Weedon to top that this week, against the Bills.
    Luck has to play Jacksonville so he should do good.
    Wilson impressed me he looked as if he belonged out there this week but has Monday night against Green bay next.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Seattle?

28. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and Pittsburgh, who seems to be collecting them.

29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I think we got the best Pouncey brother. Not meant as slight to Maurkice, but I like Mike better in all ways now that he has cleaned up his shotgun snaps. They look so crisp, I kind of wondered if the twins swapped uniforms. ;)

Considering Maurkice has been a 2nd team and 1st team All Pro in his two seasons, it is certainly reasonable to think Mike can fight him tooth and nail for that honor from here on out.

30. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    My dream is for Mike to convince Maurkice to sign a contract down here in Miami when his contract is up in Pittsburg. They are super close and are Florida boys so there is a chance (albeit a small one) that it happens.

MrClean likes this.
  31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Toss in our first home opening win since 05, and there were long scoring plays and I hope it generates some buzz.

32. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That'd be conditional upon Maurkice accepting a change to a less prestigious position (guard). Not sure if he'd want that.

33. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    This was a beauty. I am nursing some sunburn and hangover symptoms, but what a game. It was great seeing big plays busted on offense. Our special teams have come so far...its amazing. The Raiders got good pressure on RT, and they have weapons. There is just no excuse for it, but for the 2nd time in as many years, Carson Palmer was just abysmal. No excuse for him to be this bad at this point in his career. He connected on some decent longish passes but in the 2nd half, just couldn't hit anything. And we capitalized.

padre31 likes this.
  34. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

T-Pryor time