1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Phins.com Yacht Club

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Puka-head, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Any boaters on the forum? I thought it would be nice to have a forum where we could share our love of the water and the toys we use to play on it.

Share your pictures, your stories, and your knowledge with the crew here at the Yacht Club.

Shirts and shoes not required

2. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I'll start it off.

I have been a boater and fisherman and professional mariner since I was a little boy. Built my first "boat" when I was 12 with some kids from the neighborhood with stuff we stole from a sub development under construction nearby in Virginia Beach. We had a series of canals that connected to the Inter-coastal Water Way and we were going to sail Huck Finn style to the Caribbean. Spent the whole summer building our "boat" got loaded up and launched the week before school was going to start. We made it about 500 yds down the little canal and the whole thing came apart and sank. 1st of 2 times I've had a boat go down under me, second time really sucked but that's a story for another day. At 15 I read a book called "Dove" by Robin Graham, the story of how he sailed around the world alone at 16 from Hawaii and decided that was the life for me.Fast Forward 2 yrs and I bailed to Hawaii the day after High School ended. Mom was bent.

I've since crewed and Captained Harbor tugs, commercial and charter fishing boats and anything else I could get someone to give me to play with for 40 (almost) years now. My favorite job had to be driving the boat for a treasure hunting marine archeology crew in Guam looking for a sunken Spanish Galleon called the Pilar. I had divers doing 300 ft mixed gas dives, towed sonar arrays around and kept everyone safe for 3 long but amazing summers. Found cannons and coins and stuff, but never the mother lode. I know where it is but getting it up from there would cost more than it's worth. Retired from the professional side cuz I'm old and broken and just can't take the Ocean every day anymore, but I still bleed saltwater.

Currently I'm working as a tech consultant for a online Marine supply retailer here in Washington so I at least get to talk about boats all day. Not putting this out there to brag, well not only that anyway, but to establish my creds. I know a little bout it, if I can help you with some knowledge or resources just run up a flag.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  3. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    upload_2020-6-10_21-27-32.jpeg upload_2020-6-10_21-28-10.jpeg

Thats my new / old toy and the crew. My 10 year old said she wanted to get a project boat to fix up together so she could learn about boats and go fishing with Dad.
    I found this 1962 Pacific Mariner, same company that made the ski boats for the Seattle Worlds fair( https://s408.photobucket.com/user/Timulator/media/WorldsFairskiing.jpg.html )with a 85 hp Evinrude and the trailer for $250 on Craigslist and off we went. I've got the motor running and new control cables, rebuilt the lower unit w/ new water pump and all that. New prop just came in yesterday and we should be getting wet this weekend. Gotta find a vest for Gizmo before he can come, but thats in the works too.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    ToddPhin, Bumrush, SICK and 1 other person like this.
  4. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Awesome!

Sadly I can't say I'm a boat guy but I can say that I have always enjoyed boats and sailing. Here in Gibraltar there are boats everywhere from small rowboats up to mega-yachts and even a floating hotel. I volunteer with a local marine environmental group frequently at that often gets us either in the water or on it. The group recently got their first boat dedicated to the charity so hopefully we'll be about a bit more often.

Not sure I'll get the chance to learn how to sail properly - only got to do a little sailing back with a club in northern England, on lake windermere - lazer two's - but it's been a while.

Before the kids came along I thought about taking a 5 days crew course with the wife, but we didn't manage it before number 1 entered the world. Maybe we'll get the chance when they're a little older.

One of the top items on my bucket list is helping crew a tall ship on a transatlantic voyage into the Caribbean. Who knows, maybe it'll happen.

Bumrush and Puka-head like this.
  5. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    New addition to the fleet! Pulled this one out of the weeds this weekend. Spent $100 just to get the trim pieces and the windshield because they are the same on my boat. But it cleaned up so nice I'm going to restore this one too I think. It's a sickness I have.It's a 62 Pacific Mariner, like mine, but smaller. This one is the Scimitar model.

Before >>>>>> After

62-1.jpe 62-6.jpe

62-3.jpe 62-8.jpe

62-4.jpe 62-7.jpe

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    ToddPhin likes this.