1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The other shoe drops

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pauly, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Good to have the Martin/Incognito thing in the open. Things make sense now.

I don't really care who is to blame or how manly manly real men of the NFL should have handled it. The serious dysfunctional relationship between Incognito and Martin explains a lot to me.
    - It explains the types of breakdowns we've had in pass coverage. If the guys in the OL are not communicating and not trusting each other then you will see the types of protection breakdown, exemplified by Geno Atkins sack of Tannehill this week, where the OL lets a pash rusher through essentially untouched.
    - It helps explain why Jake Long just wanted out of Miami. If you're in a workplace where this sort of stuff if going on around you, you just want to get the hell out of Dodge.
    - It explains the difference between the coaches/FO expectation of how the OL should be performing and the actual performance delivered. The coaches are looking at the individuals and seeing their potential and making assessments accordingly but haven't taken into account how the pieces work together, or in this case don't work together. Which has left us with an OL that is less than the sum of its parts.

The interesting thing will be to see how this is resolved. Plenty of mistakes have been made to get it to this point, the most important being Philbin not taking it seriously enough when it first arose. Any solution that involves 'fire everybody' or 'everyone hold hands and sing kumbuyah' is not a real solution.

P h i N s A N i T y and anlgp like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Larry Little and ElNino like this.
  3. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Its best this came to a head rather than persist. It's telling of the issues we've had on the offensive line. Whether Richie is some lowlife cancer, or Martin is a sackless primmadonna..... there was an underlying issue here that can now be resolved so the team can move forward.

While hazing is wrong and its very possible they got out of hand......... its pretty evident that Martin isnt the type of guy you can count on.... I can forgive Richie for being a Jerk. But there's no room on my team for crybaby quitters. Ofcourse the right thing to do is welcome him back..... but i'll be upset if he returns to the team. He needs to go.....

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Bah humbug... If Martin let it go on for a couple of years, as seems the case, shame on him. He's a man and can say no. If he's that intimidated by other players, there's just as much wrong with him as with the veterans doing the deed. I'm not excusing what RI was doing, just saying that after the first time, it's time to buck up and say no.... This issue was caused by Martin, just as much as by RI or anyone else...

The Rev and P h i N s A N i T y like this.
  5. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Maybe this lights a fire under the rest of the OL. It can't be much worse than what this team has been through on the OL the first 8 games.

Frankly, I'm very disappointed in Ingocnito, he seemed to have turned the corner, now this.

At the same time, I think many of us has dealt with emotionally insecure kids growing up, and in a competitive environment is difficult to not make fun of them or harrass them.. I suspect Martin is very sensitive and the guys just did what most men would do in a locker room full of testosterone.

6. anlgp

This is more than about money for Martin. It includes racial slurs and threats. The article I posted has details.

"FoxSports.com reported that Incognito left texts and voice messages that were racially insensitive and threatening in nature." (article in my previous post)

I'm one of those people that believes that being PC all the time is not necessary (even at work if you know the person and can joke about things, great, IMO just don't do it around anyone who might get you fired and don't let it spread keep it between you and whoever can take it), but racially insensitive (which to me translates to things worse than jokes) and threatening (which can't really be taken jokingly at all, or shouldn't be, anywhere) is more than the money hazing.

That also happened (the $), but the reason for the suspension, I'd guess, is because of this information. That kind of attitude can't be had in a locker room (or any work place IMO).

7. magicap

magicap Shonuff

Jan 21, 2012
    I am not defending incognito at all here because I have no reason to, but does anyone else find it a coincidence that this goes down after martin loses his Lt job?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Fin D likes this.
  8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Regarding the racial comments, here's something Kevin Nogle from the Phinsider has pointed out - food for thought at least..

"I've done an investigation before where two people got into a fight. As I finished the report, everything seemed fairly straight forward, with both parties having partial responsibility, though one was more wrong than the other. As I submitted the report, I got asked, but someone not at all involved in the situation, if I had, "looked into whether the fact that one person was black and one was white, because this could be a racial thing." Now, I had to go through basically another entire investigation to prove that the racial allegation had nothing to do with a case where two people, one who happened to be African-American and the other Caucasian, got into an argument over something stupid, and is escalated beyond where it should."

9. anlgp

Yeah, a whole different report has to be written it's an entirely different situation.