1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Orange Bowl - A Tribute to Our Fans

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Muck, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Before the days of the silent count, the Orange Bowl had a reputation for this in big games. Most notably a few years earlier against Jaworski's Eagles.

They payoff is great.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsjIVYZtLOY"]YouTube- Miami Dolphin Fans Won't Shut Up!![/ame]

If/when they upgrade our current stadium, maybe we can recapture a little bit of this. Though it has gotten pretty lively at times at JRS. The Colts and Jets games in particular this year.

The loudest I can remember would be the Jan. 1991 wildcard game against Kansas City. Saturday night game. Marino brought us back from 14 down late to win by 1.

Anyway, I think we can get back to this a little bit. Night games have an electricity to begin with. But putting a roof over the crowd removes the sun factor (and some of the heat), along with moving the seats closer.

Anyway, I enjoyed this look back at better days. :)

Jackson, Ophinerated, Tone_E and 2 others like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

man that was awesome.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Muck, why you gotta do that to me brother...that crushes my soul man..

How bout the idiot frank gifford calling our fans idiots basically for not being more quiet, what an A hole...

The qb for the bears,Gabe whats his face would not be able to do that chicken stuff {backin out every time}, guess the invention of the silent count had not come about..

man that clip pisses me off, lol...

Orange bowl 2 please.

4. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Thanks Muck, I loved that game.
    We went to a local restruant after the game to rub in the win to some people that worked there from Chicago. It was great!!

I miss all the white hankies all over also.

DolfanJake likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Aw, boo-hoo! They won't be quiet. Aw no fair...

Bwahahahah! This isn't a piano recital, play football or GTFO. So lame that the refs won't honor the PLAY CLOCK!!! I can't believe crowd noise was a consideration. "Turmoil"?!?! Seriously?

I'm sure playing conditions are perfect up in Jacksonville where the attendance is about 59 people Sundays. Quiet enough?

5 Stars.

DolfanJake and djphinfan like this.
  6. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    As mentioned, this was before the silent count. Nobody knew what to do back then. Obviously things are different now.

And this was the second time it'd happened like that in the game! :yes:

Hell, that probably remains as the most important, electric, most notable home game in franchise history. The undefeated Bears and the 46 defense coming in as the first serious challengers to the record. All those '72 guys on the sidelines. What Gifford was talking about....via Robbie....was just how serious and massive the game became for the city.

Before UnderArmor coined the phrase, this was totally about "protecting this house".

7. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

Are you referring to the game vs the Eagles that the Dolphins won on Doug Betters block of an extra point with time expired, bringing the Fins to 11-0 at that point?

8. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    That was awsome. A sign of things to come. :)

9. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    First off I would like to proudly point out I was at that game!

As you already pointed out the feel at the Ob was special. It was a cheap dump but it was home. It had Metal seats and stands that the fans used to stop their feet on and it was deafening . Not only was it deafening but when it got real riled up you you could feel the stadium rock back and forth. At times it ,remember I was 8 years old when I started going to games as my dad had season tickets it was quite scary.

As for the revamp of the new stadium I watched the video of the revamp on dolphins.com and ya they are looking at what they call moving the lower portions of the sideline seats forward. Part of that though seems to be an illusion of sorts. The field level seats get moved the most and every row up from there gets moved less and less. The top seats in the bottom sideline section will remain the same distance. The top level seats wont get touched at all.

It's better than what we currently have though. I am somewhat bitter seeing the Marlins who have notoriously had the leagues cheapest payroll and can barely fill a single section of the stadium as it is get a brand new one at tax payers expense all the while the Dolphins who sell out most games and have suffered with supporting a baseball team for decades gets screwed.

Ya I'm bitter....

djphinfan likes this.
  10. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Loudest I ever heard it at JRS was the Colts playoff game after Lamar Smith scored the game winner in OT.Big comeback,great game.
    Comparing the friendly confines of the Orange Bowl to JRS are like comparing oranges and apples

11. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    No the game he is refering to was in Dec 1981 on a Monday night game. Jawarski came to the line an NFL record 9 times before getting the ball off. Shula even tried to quiet the crowd. It was amazing loud, the loudest I have ever heard.

God bless the old Orange Bowl. Yes she was a dump in her latter years, but really I miss the old girl !

12. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

One of the best games I've been to. BUT it was Dolphins fans who made the decibel meter famous in the early 70's. The Orange bowl was the reason and I'd love to see it again..

13. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Are the Marlins leaving after this season or after the 2011 season? It shouldnt take that long to build that stadium. I want the upgrades, particularly the seats being moved closer to the field. You know that is 100% happening after the Marlins leave. The roof though, that's probably about 60% happening. The seats are more important anyway, move them up as close as possible! Recreate the Orange Bowl somewhat.