1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official World Soccer Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by first&goal, Apr 12, 2008.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
  2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
  3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I only watch so much soccer, but I don't recall ever seeing so many high quality goals from one player in a game, ever. 4 goals in a game is impressive enough, but these look like season highlights for a player, incredible. Maybe career highlights now that I think of it.

Paul 13 likes this.
  4. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Oh FFS!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...e-island-of-Madeira-dedicated-to-himself.html

http://www.goal.com/en/news/91/port...ano-ronaldo-to-open-his-own-museum-in-madeira

Posted a few links because at first I thought it was a joke. Something from that onion website. Nope. It is legit.

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    USA isnt making it out of the 1st Round holy ****...Group of Death?

6. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Not going to be easy...but they beat Portugal in 2002, they can do it again! Or at least get a draw and hope Germany beats Portugal. If they don't beat Ghana in the first game though they can probably pack their bags. Draw also wasn't kind to England & Australia. English speaking countries got hosed (kind of like they did with the bidding for 2018 & 2022 in favor of controversial human rights violators Russia & Qatar)

France and Argentina...lucky! Japan could be a dark horse with that group. Belgium a clear favorite to win H.

finyank13 likes this.
  7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    How is beating Portugal 11 years ago mean anything though? Germany I think could very easily win it all this year coming...

8. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    It doesn't, just a good memory! The first time I watched the World Cup after the '99 women's world cup got me into watching soccer. Even if USA finishes 2nd, they'd most likely have to face off with Belgium unless they stumble. 3 straight European opponents would not bode well for their first QF appearance since '02.

And should France win their lucky group a likely opponent is Bosnia or Nigeria in the next round...

We're bound to see some stumbles though like Italy and France in 2010. Maybe Portugal will be one. Or Spain/Netherlands who could get spoiled by Chile playing in South America.

9. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Portugal in general and Ronaldo in particular are ridiculously overrated (fun fact: pretty much everyone in Germany was rooting for Portugal over pretty much anyone else available from that draw). Ghana isn't nearly as impressive as they were in 2010. You guys have a decent shot to finish #2. Group of death? Not by a long shot.

10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    ugh... well my predictions for each of the 8 groups...

Group A
    1. Brazil
    2. Mexico
    3. Croatia
    4. Cameroon

-It's an easy group for Brazil, the host. Mexico struggled to qualify, that's well documented. Croatia also struggled to qualify after just beating out Iceland in their playoff. Cameroon the next to last weakest African team in the World Cup. Brazil could start their B squad and still finish atop this group.

Group B
    1. Spain
    2. Netherlands
    3. Chile
    4. Australia

-A tough group to many, but it would be surprising if Spain and Holland didn't qualify. The Chilean's really got screwed. The Aussies will finish well under down under :shifty:

Group C
    1. Japan
    2. Greece
    3. Colombia
    4. Ivory Coast

-a really soft group, any four of these teams could win it. I'm going with the team that's been the best over the last 12 years in Japan and then Greece. How Colombia got a Pot 1 grouping is beyond me. They benefit from a South America qualifying season without Brazil.

Group D
    1. Italy
    2. England
    3. Uruguay
    4. Costa Rica

-Tough group here. Three solid teams and depending on how healthy they are next June, well that will define how strong they'll be. Uruguay will be nothing if not for Suarez. And Forlan is 4 years older and not as strong as he was in 2010.

Group E
    1. France
    2. Ecuador
    3. Switzerland
    4. Honduras

-the friggin French really get lucky with one of the weakest groups out there. Switzerland gets a Pot 1 grouping? Unreal. I'm picking Ecuador because they are usually very competitive and they finished ahead of Uruguay in the SA qualifying

Group F
    1. Argentina
    2. Bosnia-Herzegovina
    3. Nigeria
    4. Iran

-Argentina gets a fairly soft group that they would be well favorites to advance. B-H could be the surprise of next year's cup.

Group G
    1. Germany
    2. Portugal
    3. USA
    4. Ghana

-Good tests for Germany, will be interesting to see how they do. Certainly favorites again to advance to the final 4. Yes Portugal struggled to qualify but they still have Ronaldo and he's one of the best players in the world. Will be rooting for the US side, but just a tough group for them. They must get 3 points from Ghana and maybe a draw vs Portugal could do it?

Group H
    1. Belgium
    2. Russia
    3. S Korea
    4. Algeria

-A fairly soft group for Belgium. We'll see if they can handle the hype. On paper they are deadly though. The Russians will probably tie all of these games and still advance

Easiest group. Group E with France... lets call that the group of life

Hardest group. Going with Group B with Spain and Holland, since they were the finalists from 2010. Although England and Germany's groups are tough as well. Thing set up well for Brazil. And we could very well see a Brazil v Argentina final.

11. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    dude Colombia is for real

12. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    the worst part of all this...germany will have its first game 5 days !!!! into the tournament....jeeeks 5 days of wait

13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Taking this a step further.. into the 2nd round eliminations...

1A v 2B
    Brazil v Holland = Brazil

1C v 2D
    Japan v England = England

1E v 2F
    France v Bosnia-Herzegovina = Bosnia-Herzegovina

1G v 2H
    Germany v Russia = Germany

1B v 2A
    Spain v Mexico = Spain

1D v 2C
    Italy v Greece = Italy

1F v 2E
    Argentina v Ecuador = Argentina

1H v 2G
    Belgium v Portugal = Belgium

Quarters....
    Brazil v England = Brazil... penalties again (:pity:)
    Bos-Herz v Germany = Germany (1-0)
    Spain v Italy = Italy (mild upset)
    Argentina v Belgium = Argentina (5-0 landslide as Belgium falls apart)

Semis...
    Brazil v Germany= Brazil
    Italy v Argentina = Argentina

Final...
    Brazil v Argentina = ....... Brazil, they are playing at home, this is a foregone conclusion.

14. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    U.S. Soccer and head coach Jurgen Klinsmann announced a four-year contract extension on Thursday, ensuring the former World Cup champion will guide the USMNT through at least 2018, USSoccer.com reported.

He'll also become the Technical Director for U.S. Soccer, entailing that he'll continue to integrate the US's youth developmental programs with the national team.

Paul 13 and finyank13 like this.
  15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I think he is overrated sure, but on the WC stage he is very good, Portugal on the whole is a good club....

Rooney is ridiculously overrated.....you know maybe he will score his first WC goal this summer...

16. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    BLACK EYE: Horrible....:pity:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1644364/six-people-detained-new-match-fixing-probe?cc=5901

Police have detained six people after opening a second investigation into football match-fixing following allegations that a player rigged a Championship game in return for cash.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) confirmed this weekend that it was examining claims passed to it by the Sun on Sunday.

The newspaper said an undercover investigator met ex-Portsmouth defender Sam Sodje, who said he could arrange for footballers in the Championship to get themselves a yellow card in return for tens of thousands of pounds.

He also claimed he could rig Premier League games and even said he was preparing to fix matches at next year's World Cup in Brazil.

17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The Dog!!!! Where have ya been???

Soccer+Cycling in terms of corruption....sad..

18. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    not sure what Raheem Sterling was shooting at in the second half, down 2 1 vs Man C, but it sure as hell wasn't the goal.

[video=youtube;8h0fFVGtd0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h0fFVGtd0Q[/video]

19. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Mezut Ozil has a tendency to fade under pressure. He's a phenomenal talent, but this is something I've noticed from him in more than a few occasions. He is also a 60 minute man. Very good the first 45-60 minutes, but fades down the stretch of matches.

Germany is one of my 3 favorites (Argentina and Brasil the other 2,) but not because of him, but because they have such a young experienced and very deep team.

I have Germany beating Brasil in the semis but losing the final vs Argentina in a high scoring game.

20. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1. Amazing first quarter of the game today. Probably the best I've seen them play in a very long time. Wonderful football. They were up 4 nothing before Arsenal knew what hit them... Could have been a couple of more as well.

21. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Messi would actually have to score for his country for this to take place.

22. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Does leading the qualifiers in scoring count? Besides, Messi is not the first option in scoring for Argentina, maybe you've heard of their strikers, Aguero and Higuain? With Argentina Messi plays like a midfielder to feed the forwards, like a true 10, he still manages to score, but his job is to pull the strings of the attack.

Btw, Messi is Argentina's second leading scorer all time with 37 goals, even though he plays midfield for them.

23. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    He never shows up in the big tournaments. Argentina hasn't either for that matter. They always have a dangerous team on paper, but can't seem to take the next step.

24. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Well that's simply not true man, at least when it pertains to Messi. I'm going to assume when you say big tournaments, you mean for Argentina, because for Barcelona there can be no doubt. For Argentina he plays a play making role, not a goal scoring role. If you look at stats and stats alone, you might come out with the perception he does not show up. But then again, you might also say the same of Xavi, for instance, if you're looking at stats alone. In the last World Cup Messi was involved in plenty of Argentina's scoring chances and plays, he is the play maker for them. Then they got outclassed tactically by Germany, but that had very little to do with a single player.

In the last Copa America, Messi was easily Argentina's best player. Again, if you look at only stats, you might get the wrong perception, but if kept in the context of a play maker and watching the games, you'd see he did indeed played well.

I do agree with your assertion about Argentina the team, they do seem to be exactly as you described them. I just feel this time they do have not only the players, but the structural integrity and balance to get it done. However, it might just as well happen as you said it often does.

25. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    By big tournaments I did mean international tournaments. I'll concede to your point because at the end of the day we are talking about Messi. I still believe that Messi should be the target man like he is at Barca instead of the #10. They have the talent to focus the ball to Messi. Let your best finisher finish. Argentina made a huge mistake letting Maradona manage them in 2010.

26. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami

That would be ideal, but they lack playmaking midfielders. They've got great forwards, ok defensive midfielders and average defenders, what they lack is playmaking and creative mids. They had high hopes for Pastore, but he has not delivered. They depend on Messi, and to some extent, di Maria, to bring the creativity and link-up the team.

27. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Ricky Alvarez needs to get an opportunity. If he doesn't I understand. The guy has great pace and skill but can't use his right foot. Him and Di Maria are both young, but old enough that they have to take the next step. Look for Maxi to be the leader in the mid. Their back end is a little concerning though.

28. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Yeah their back end has yet to solidify, but it's not devoid of talent. Zabaleta is a nice player, and you've got Otamendi, Federico Fernandez, Burdisso, Campagnaro, who are all decent. They also should call Musacchio from Villareal, he is becoming a very nice defender.

LB is a hole and GK is seriously weak. Sergio Romero is downright awful, and they've got much better options, I don't know why they keep playing him. Willy Caballero is very good.

29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    well Liverpool clinched the Champions League spot today with the victory of the Hammers. (crazy game that was). So the goal for the season has been accomplished. Now then :shifty: What a golden opportunity they have in front of them... maybe

30. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I want to follow an MLS and international league team. Any suggestions? I've been to Seattle and like the city so I'm thinking the Sounders.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

31. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    No Seattle is one of the worst to go with. Choose one who doesn't get their best players given to them by the MLS. RSL is the best organic team in the mls.

32. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    Arsenal have no leaders. Giroud is a middle club striker. They have no depth, since Ramsey got hurt their whole season has been ****ed.

33. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I'd take the Barcelona Henry-Eto'o-Messi trio of the 08-09 treble, that was special. The Madrid trio, Ronaldo is great, but Benzema is very wasteful and Bale is great when he gets a head of steam, but when space is taken and he is marked, dude tends to disappear a lot.
    But still, that trio is very fearsome.

Though IMO, if you want to watch fun soccer right now, you gotta watch Liverpool. They are very entertaining right now.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    What an epic Sunday for LFC. Gerrard reduced to tears after the monumental victory over Man C to hold onto first place in the league. Four more games to go... one at a time... just one at a time... Hopefully Sturridge is okay... Jordy going in and getting a red card could actually be a blessing for us. Probably means Lucas will get back next to Gerrard. I think we've been a little soft in front of our back four since Lucas went down, honestly. Gerrard can only do so much there. Yes, the offense has picked up with Hendo moving forward... but with potentially both he and Sturridge now out for the Chelsea game... will be interesting to see how manager of the year Brendan Rodgers responds in the lineup. Go back to a 4-4-1-1. With Suarez the lone striker up top? Run a 4-2-3-1?

35. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    what a roller coaster ride... Gerrard's mistake today, for me, is the soccer equivalent of Marino having his woeful last game of his career vs the Jags. Good news for Stevie, it's not his last game of his career. But it may have been his last shot at a league championship. I don't think Man City loses a game here on out, but might they draw one?

36. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    I don't understand Liverpools failure to adjust to Chelseas D. Constantly coming in deep and trying to shoot through 7-8 men, taking shots with no chance out of frustration. With all that speed, not that Chelsea doesn't have speed, they needed to try to dump the ball over the D and rush the goal. Chelseas D is amazing in how they move in unison, very disciplined.

37. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Mourinho playing coward football and getting praise for it. I find it truly disgusting.

Mexphin, Aqua4Ever04 and Paul 13 like this.
  38. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    He brought Ivanovic inside so he could match the speed or at least defend it. The issue is that Chelsea scored first. It would have been a scoreless draw had the mistake not happened. Schwarzer played his best game recently. LFC missed Henderson and his ability to integrate the attack. Joe Allen just doesnt time his runs the same way. Hendo has a sixth sense for it. LFC couldnt get behind their backline save for some opening attacks. Once they were down the goal it was going to take some luck to get it back.

39. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    He played to his teams strength. Liverpool let them get in their head and got pushed around.