1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official World Soccer Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by first&goal, Apr 12, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thanks bro, ATVZ runs football and I try my best in the worlds greatest sport, soccer. I also love this thread, even though there has been about four people who have posted, great and intelligent conversations have come out of it.:up:

2. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    I should have said Serie A and didn't mean the Italy national team. :D

And it pains me to agree on the English comment, but I must. It seems they've fallen into a rut where they are actually scared and you don't see the confidence from them.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  4. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Hard to argue with that list.

first&goal likes this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Secco Chases Higuaín And Diarra

"Spanish sports daily AS reports that Juventus manager Claudio Ranieri and sporting director Alessio Secco are looking into the prospect of landing Real Madrid pair Gonzalo Higuaín and Mamadou Diarra"

http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=661151

6. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    except you would have to add Mascherano and Pirlo me thinks.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    first&goal likes this.
  8. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Pirlo by his standards had somewhat of a rough season. Last year at this time, I think he's on that list, no question.

9. first&goal

first&goal Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Absolutely Alen is on the top of soccer world! :ffic:

alen1 likes this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol: :ffic:

11. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Wow, do you that Inter will let him go?

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Honestly, I dont really know lol. I dont know what to make of that report. There was another report of them dumping Crespo and Suazo. If those are true, I dont see it happening.

13. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    I like Mascherano and Pirlo both, Pirlo however like brother Eop05 mentioned, this season was not he's best one.

14. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Nah, I think it's all a rumor.

Besides, I think he's one of the more overrated players in the world. Cruz was the real hero this season for them, but Ibra gets all the credit because he had a good run in the beginning of the season.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    first&goal likes this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Calcio Debate: Should Milan Sell Gattuso?

" This all changed when Gattuso burst onto the scene. When he was recognised as a regular in 2004, Italy finally had themselves a player who would offer some real steel in the centre of midfield. Tactically and technically he was average, but he brought something to the Italy team, a kind of British spirit, that had been missing for many years. It is no coincidence that two years later, La Nazionale would go on to lift the World Cup.

However without Gattuso, Milan would have been like Italy during the 94 and 98 World Cups – they would have been fragile and brittle in the centre of midfield, and it is debatable, despite all this talent above, whether they would have been half as successful as they have been.

A new challenge may also do Gattuso some good. After nine years at Milan, perhaps things have become a little stale, and a new experience abroad may revitalise him.

As a replacement Milan surely can look no further than Arsenal’s Matthieu Flamini. Arsene Wenger seems resigned to losing the midfielder, who has a scarily similar style of play to Gattuso. The Frenchman is also available on a free transfer, and if he were to arrive at San Siro, there is no doubt that he would be a class act. At the age of 23 he has his whole career ahead of him, and would also provide Milan with some much-needed young blood."

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=660161

I now ask you, should Milan sell Gattusso? Do you think Mathieu Flamini is the right man to replace him?

This article is a very well written and I recommend reading it if your a fan of Gattuso or AC.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
    first&goal likes this.
  17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ailing Ronaldinho searching for cure

"The former World Player of the Year has become a controversial figure at the Camp Nou, after suffering a dramatic fall from grace that has seen him banished from the first eleven, and the buck-toothed Brazilian seems destined to escape to either AC Milan or Manchester City in the summer."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=524607&root=europe&cc=5901

Nice article that takes a spin in Ronaldinho's shoes through the past year.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Parma win takes Juve into Champions League

"MILAN, April 16 (Reuters) - Juventus all but booked a place in next season's Champions League qualifiers thanks to a 3-0 win over Serie A strugglers Parma on Wednesday."

"David Trezeguet appeared offside when he tapped the ball in on 16 minutes after Mauro Camoranesi's header hit the post."

Note on the Trezeguet goal, after the game, Trezequet stated that he was indeed offside on that goal but it was not called.

19. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Juve played another wonderful game today. I can't believe this run of form they're having. If it weren't for that bad luck against Palermo, they'd be contending for 2nd place. Amazing if your really think about it. They've controlled every game they've played for the past 2-3 months.

I haven't been this proud to be a Juve fan since they took down Real Madrid in the 2002-2003 CL semi's.

first&goal likes this.
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol at last comment. Yeah theres a stat that was done where they have scored at least three goals in X amount of games consecutively. I put X because I am not sure what that exact stat is. I have always been a fan of Juve. I love their history. I have read about their history multiple times and it is very intriguing to see what they have done in their years being a elite club.

21. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    cheat?

(sorry couldn't resist, its like the whole patriots thing... it just begs a comment)

22. giovafin

giovafin Rossonero

Mar 25, 2008
    I agree the rossoneri have bigger needs but if this happens I think the most beneficiated are going to be the strikers/forwards, of course Pippo wants Ronaldihno in Milan. Who doesn't? well, maybe Barcelona and Seedorf who doesn't want to give the number 10 to Dihno. :lol: (Btw thanks for the info)

Same as yours, different order:

1.Cristiano Ronaldo
    2.Kaka
    3.Frank Lampard
    4.Steven Gerrard
    5.Ronaldinho.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
    first&goal likes this.
  23. Pink_dove

Pink_dove Burning coal Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    My top 5 footballers:

Fernando Torres.

Simply the best striker in the world at the moment. Adept with both feet, can turn on a dime, and understands the game on a higher plane than most. He can also play in the evolving tactical chess match that is football today, on the wing, as the lone striker, behind Crouch, besides Pennant. He's as good with his back to the goal, than attacking. A complete player that should be on every list.

Cristiano Ronaldo.

A mere two weeks ago, Madrid coach, and midfield star Bernd Schuster called him the best player in the game. Electric is the word. Execution chair electric. Even a blind man, can see he has the ability to change a game in a split second. The dazzling pace, and marvelous skills aren't everything, as he's filled the net in big numbers. 36 goals from an attacking midfield role, in all competitions for Man Utd. That's an ability to finish, to find goal.

Leo Messi.

He just glides past opponents, with that second level motor. So good in tight areas, where he can operate easily because of the lower body musculature. He also has an uncanny vision, and underrated understanding of the game. You'll see him attract and goad opponents, just to skip past them. I just can't wait to see what happens if he gets better playing in the air, and with both feet.

Kaka.

Flamboyant, clinical first touch, consummate team player, devoted religious man, and ideal role model for any young player. His composure in front of goal is what stands out, as well as his nonpareil vision. Always shines in the Champions League, which shouldn't surprise anyone. Technically very strong, and north-south type, always pushing the ball forward which I love. He's also like the aforementioned three, in that he's as fast with the ball, as without.

Steven Gerrard.

Hardest choice. The top 4 are clear cut in my mind, but after that, Ronaldinho burned out and crashed in Barca. The party boy lifestyle have caught up to him and Adriano. Daniele De Rossi is a nice player, but top 20, not top 5, unless you're a pure Calcio tifoso. As is Javier Mascherano. Nice player, and key in that midfield, but hardly complete. I considered Michael Essien, who is so quite and unassuming, you tend to forget about him, but settled on Steven Gerrard because of what he brings to the table. He's got it all.

Honorable mentions: Francesco Totti. Has had a stunning season at Roma, when I thought his best days were behind him. Plays such a key role on that squad. Cesc Fabregas, who if not for the last two months, would have made this list. Kun Aguerro. Watch out for this kid. Frank Ribery. Tearing it up with Bayern. Oliver Kahn compared him to Zizou in that he can change the tempo of a game, and very, very few players have the ability to do that. Michael Essien. Best holding midfielder in the game.

The lack of a defender in the top 5 saddens me. The waning spectre of a Cannavaro, Nesta, or Terry isn't surprising considering the physical demands we put on these beasts. That being said, Sergio Ramos would certainly crack my top 10. He's always had the talent, but with Schuster putting him at fullback, you can see him use those feet, and timing superbly. He's only 21 too.

first&goal likes this.
  24. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Gattuso is today is one of the most important players in the ACMilan landscape, the fans like he's tenacity and hard work. In my opinion Gattuso will not go anywere, is to well respected and admired.

25. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I agree. He's too important to this team. IMO it was him and Pirlo that really brought this team back to glory starting in 02-03. Kaka was nice, but it was Gattuso and Pirlo that got it started. Remember, Kaka wasn't there for the first CL victory. My man Rui Costa was pivotal in that campaign.

He's too much of an icon as well (Gattuso I mean) to the city of Milan.

I challenge you to find a player with his determination and dedication to soccer

first&goal likes this.
  26. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    You are right, Gattuso is part of the modern ACMilan history, he always will be the prototype of your typical hard blue collar worker.

27. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Ouch!

Well I think this season proved to all the conspiracy theorists that those Serie A titles were won fair and square.

Juve clearly got no help this year from the refs, with 60% of the talent they had in 2004, 2005, and 2006 and are playing wonderful soccer and will finish a strong 3rd in the Serie A. Had Juve had Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Thuram, Vieria, etc., I see no reason why they wouldn't have walked away with the scudetto this year.

But then again, I'm Juventino....

28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Blues boss targets Kaka and Messi

"Chelsea manager Avram Grant has revealed that he wants to bring South American superstars Kaka and Lionel Messi to Stamford Bridge.

The Blues boss has already pledged to spend big in this summer's transfer market and has now made the unusual step of naming two of his top targets."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8043338/Blues-boss-targets-Kaka-and-Messi

first&goal likes this.
  29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Benzema to stay with Lyon - Agent

"Lyon striker Karim Benzema's agent says his client will stay at the Stade Gerland this summer despite reported interest from Manchester United. Spanish giants Barcelona are rumoured to be among the frontrunners after their sporting director Txiki Begiristain was in Lyon for their Coupe de France clash with Metz earlier this week."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8043998/Benzema-to-stay-with-Lyon---Agent

first&goal likes this.
  30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Refs to crack down on excessive force, simulation

REGENSDORF, Switzerland (AP) - UEFA instructed referees Thursday to simultaneously protect players from excessive force and crack down on simulation of injuries at the European Championship.

European soccer's governing body also told officials to stamp out any pushing and shoving in the penalty area before corners and free kicks, with yellow cards to be awarded on a second offense.

Players involved in mass confrontations will receive cautions, including those who run to join in, while anyone using arms and elbows will be sent off at the June 7-29 tournament in Austria and Switzerland.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8044904/Refs-to-crack-down-on-excessive-force,-simulation

31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Berbatov to leave Tottenham for CL outfit?

LONDON (AP) - Dimitar Berbatov looks set to leave Tottenham at the end of the season after his agent said the Bulgaria striker wants to play in the Champions League.

The 27-year-old Berbatov has scored 45 goals since joining in July 2006 and Spurs have long been rumored to be facing a struggle to keep him, even after it won the League Cup in February.

Berbatov has been linked with clubs including Manchester United, Chelsea, AC Milan and Bayern Munich, and his agent Emil Dantchev said Thursday his client could be about to move

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8044734/Berbatov-to-leave-Tottenham-for-CL-outfit?

first&goal likes this.
  32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Berlusconi wants Shevchenko return

"AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi insists he would welcome back Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko with open arms. The Ukraine striker has struggled to establish himself at Stamford Bridge since moving to England from Milan in 2006 and the player has been linked with a return to the San Siro in the Summer.

Shevchenko's move away from Milan was partly down to wanting stability for his children and for them to grow up speaking English."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8044202/Berlusconi-wants-Shevchenko-return

first&goal likes this.
  33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Parry's reign a disaster - Hicks

"Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks stepped up his calls Thursday for longtime chief executive Rick Parry to resign, calling his leadership a "disaster," and said he is intent on gaining full control of the club. "The first thing I would do is offer Rafa a one-year extension," Hicks told Sky Sports television in an interview. "Hopefully we could have some success and then extend him again."

"But Hicks' plans for Liverpool don't include Parry, whom he blamed for delays in building a new stadium and failing to make moves in the transfer market. Look at what's happened under Rick. It has been a disaster," Hicks said, sitting in an armchair next to a log fire. "We have fallen so far behind the other leading clubs. We should have the stadium built by now."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8043806/Parry's-reign-a-disaster---Hicks

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Serie A club Torino hires De Biasi as coach

MILAN, Italy (AP) - Serie A club Torino rehired Gianni De Biasi as coach Wednesday to replace Walter Novellino.

De Biasi, who coached Torino last season, left his job at last-place Spanish league club Levante to return to Italy. This will be his third stint at Torino.

Torino is in 14th place, four points clear of being relegated to Italy's Serie B, after losing five of its last six games.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8041630/Serie-A-club-Torino-hires-De-Biasi-as-coach

35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lehmann set to make farewell home appearance

"Veteran Jens Lehmann could be set for his final home appearance in front of Arsenal fans this weekend. The 38-year-old is in line to retain the goalkeeper's jersey with regular number one Manuel Almunia still struggling to overcome a wrist problem which ruled him out of the defeat at Manchester United last weekend, which effectively ended the Gunners' slim title hopes.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=526672&cc=5901

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Midfielder Cole wants to end career with Chelsea

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole wants to see out his career at Stamford Bridge. 'If I was to finish my career at Chelsea, I'd be delighted,' he said. 'I have played well this season and it will be my best for the club if we win something.

'But the next five to six years will see the best of me. Hopefully, I will play for a long time because I am not someone who relies on pace.

'I am someone who always puts his heart and soul into every game. I have a great relationship with the fans and it is great to be playing under a manager who really believes in me.

'I think we have to set our sights high. The way the club is at the moment, anything is possible and we shouldn't just be looking to win a league title here and a league title there and maybe one Champions League.

'With the players we have, we should be looking to win the Champions League on a regular basis and many championships.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=526505&cc=5901

Sounds like Joe is getting ahead of himself with the expectations.

37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Messi On Ronaldinho, United

He said, "At Barcelona, we all want him to stay in the team." "If he goes, then from my point of view it's a pity. He helped me a lot in the locker room.

"Any team would love to have him. It's still my hope that it'll be us that do so."

Leo rejected the idea that he would replace 'Dinho as the figurehead of the club should his teammate pack his bags.

"No, I don't think that," he said, pledging his support to the embattled Brazilian."

http://goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=663118

38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    UPDATE ON GATTUSO POSSIBLE DEPARTURE:

Milan Want To Keep Gattuso - Maldini

"The Italian press has been full of stories this week that Milan are set to signal a new era at the club by offloading Gattuso in the summer.

A host of clubs have been linked with signing him, most notably Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

“I have read in the newspapers that there’s lots of interest for Gattuso, but I think that there have always been clubs watching him,” Maldini told Milan Channel.

“However, I have no doubt that the club wants to keep him and I don’t think that Rino wants to go.”

http://goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=663137

first&goal likes this.
  39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Chelsea To Poach Giovinco’s Brother From Juve?

"Giovinco Sr is currently regarded as one of the most explosive talents in the whole of Europe, however few know that he has a very talented younger brother.

Giuseppe Giovinco plays for the Juventus Berretti squad, which consists of players under the age of 19.

The 17-year-old plays in the same creative position as his elder sibling, although he is said to be more physical, and ever so slightly taller.

Chelsea are said to be impressed by Giovinco Jr’s talent, and are looking to poach him from Juventus, before he signs his first professional contract."

http://goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=663039