1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    My daughter wanted to watch Spiderman: Far From Home.

Heard it was the best one yet... I think not. He's better doing cameo's in Avenger Movies.

Was so damned cheesy, kitschy, and predictable that I ended up just surfing on my phone and playing chess.

Took an hour for anything worth acknowledging to happen. The action, once it did was aight, but the story and love interests and whatnot was something out of an 80's teenybopper movie starring Molly Ringwald. Not sure who the flatchested, squinty-eyed girl who either needs glasses or contacts with the annoying hair is, but goodgrief, does she, or any of the classmates bring anything to this? Dump them all.

The director needs another job. Was sitting there wondering when they're gonna let Christopher Nolan do a Spiderman. The Tobey Maguire one's had better stories.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That would be terrible.

Fin D likes this.
  3. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    People say that of thing everytime there's a new take on a character. They were just saying the same thing over the premise of the new Joker. Then it comes out and people love it.

Same with Logan and it's R-rating. "How could they do that?" It was going to bomb, yada yada. Grittier character movies do better. The best parts of SM:FFH were where he was battling the baddie at the end. The rest totally forgettable.

Thank goodness he had "peter tingle" to rely on and that they talked about it all movie starting from the opening or he'd have never figured out how to beat Mysterio... if they hadn't mentioned it like a dozen times, golly gee, I hate to think what might've happened to poor Petey.

It was insulting to an audience - one who probably knows more about Spiderman and his defining attributes, his "spider sense", than the jackasses who wrote this mess. And no was fooled with by them trying to be cute and work some clumsy highschool gym locker ***** humor into the dialog. Total fail.

ToddPhin likes this.
  4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Ha. I stand alone as the only one here who feels this way, but I hated Logan. I wish that I hadn't seen it. And I promise you that I'll never see the new Joker movie.

Far From Home was enjoyable. Not great. Not even above average, but worthy of watching.

cuchulainn likes this.
  5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Nolan wouldn't work with Spider-Man. Same reason he messed up Superman with Zach Snyder with Man of Steel. A terrible terrible movie.

Logan worked because Wolverine is perfect for that kind of story line.

6. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I saw Joker and didn't like it much. First hour is a complete snooze fest.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  7. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Never been a great Superman or Spiderman. They just aren't great for stand alone movies.

Which one had Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor? That one was the best. :shifty:

8. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    So not better than Umbrella Academy? Bummer.

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Do not agree at all about never being a great Spiderman

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Your arguments would make sense, but you tout the Tobey spiderman movies which are even bigger examples of all the things you just complained about.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  11. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    The Tobey's were straight out of the comic books for origin stories...

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    My favorite part is even Spider-man went to a distant world to fight in a galactic chees match and had his costume ripped. Then he found a machine that he thought created costumes only for it to turn out to be Venom. Toby tally shined in that part

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No they weren't.

14. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    He didn't get bit by a spider, start wrestling, and make himself a red and blue costume and fawn over MJ, blow off Uncle Ben, and blame himself for a bunch of stuff while working as a photographer?

Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    He was fawning over Liz Allen.

If memory also serves me right his first villain was the Chameleon. Also missing Fancy Dan.

Green Goblin took years before fighting Spidy

16. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I feel like we're all talking about different movies/stories... and they did seem to redo him as often in the comics as they have in the movies now... spiderman, amazing spiderman, carnage spin-offs, etc...

Anyway, the Tobey Maguire's were based on what I recall of him... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(2002_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man

In the stories, Spider-Man is the alias of Peter Parker, an orphan raised by his Aunt May and Uncle Ben in New York City after his parents Richard and Mary Parker were killed in a plane crash. Lee and Ditko had the character deal with the struggles of adolescence and financial issues, and accompanied him with many supporting characters, such as J. Jonah Jameson, Harry Osborn, Max Modell, romantic interests Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane Watson, and foes such as Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin and Venom. His origin story has him acquiring spider-related abilities after a bite from a radioactive spider; these include clinging to surfaces, shooting spider-webs from wrist-mounted devices, and detecting danger with his "spider-sense".

When Spider-Man first appeared in the early 1960s, teenagers in superhero comic books were usually relegated to the role of sidekick to the protagonist. The Spider-Man series broke ground by featuring Peter Parker, a high school student from Queens behind Spider-Man's secret identity and with whose "self-obsessions with rejection, inadequacy, and loneliness" young readers could relate.[9] While Spider-Man had all the makings of a sidekick, unlike previous teen heroes such as Bucky and Robin, Spider-Man had no superhero mentor like Captain America and Batman; he thus had to learn for himself that "with great power there must also come great responsibility"—a line included in a text box in the final panel of the first Spider-Man story but later retroactively attributed to his guardian, the late Uncle Ben.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    - He built the web shooters they weren't organic. That is major detail because it shows his intelligence and how he could run out of web fluid.
    - Mary Jane was not his first love interest. She was not his neighbor and he didn't know her.
    - That wasn't Goblin's origin story.
    - MJ didn't date Harry first.
    - Sandman didn't kill Uncle Ben
    - Norman Osbourne is very much alive in comics. He's basically become the Lex Luthor of Marvel.
    - That wasn't Doc Ock's origin.
    - That wasn't sandman's origin.
    - That wasn't Venom's origin.
    - That wasn't Harry's story.

But regardless, none of that is even the point. The point was that most, if not all, of your gripes about the new spiderman movies actually apply to the the Tobey ones equally or more.

Its fine and your right to dislike the new ones. I was just confused because of the reasons you gave even though apply to the previous ones you said you liked, that's all. Not breaking balls your balls or anything.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    In the comics he was fawning over Liz Allen when he went to wrestle to get the money to buy the car.

Green Goblin was a later main villain.

First major villain was the Chameleon(who might have been in Far From Home) in the comics

Green Goblin wasn't a main villain for a while. Mostly a weird guy who popped in and out until they made him into Norman Osborn. Fun fact at first Green Goblin looked like a witch. Had a more broom looking glider.

For some reason Stan Lee liked the Enforcers who fought Spider-man a lot in his early years. The rope guy was named Fancy Dan.

Rami's films were inspired by the comics however they were not pulled straight out. For one Toby looks 30.

Amazing for their time.

Edit: one thing I felt Rami's film lacked was the fact that Spider-man was always nervous and afraid when he fought villains. His quips were his defense mechanism to hide his fear. I was always disappointed in his film for not including those.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    MJ has been retconned into being his neighbor. She did live very close.

Norman Osborn was dead for a very long time. He only came back to life in around 1997.

The origin for Norman was close. Though I think he was trying to recreate the Super Syrum from Captain America. The scene with the gas and killing his assistant was straight out of the comics. I do believe all the stuff surrounding it was made up for the movie.

I do agree overall.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah, but he didn't die so quick after becoming GG. Didn't the MJ retcon come AFTER those movies?

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is true. It was a mystery for years who the GG was.

That is a good question. You might be right

Fin D likes this.
  22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I did not like the first Toby McGuire one. I disliked the second one so much that I never saw the third one, and I laughed at the idea of seeing the Garfield ones.

But I've enjoyed Tom Holland in the role as someone who is a huge Marvel fan overall, but not of Spiderman specifically.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007

Look what was created today

Fin D likes this.
  24. TheOne

TheOne Active Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Although I am excited about this movie and though Vin Diesel was a great pick I thought they did a lazy job of his look in this.

25. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Wow. The Conjuring universe is growing almost at the same rate as the Marvel universe. They are working on the 3rd Conjuring movie, the sequel to The Nun movie, they already have 3 Annabelle movies, they did La Llorano and are working on a new spinoff....The Crooked Man. And the quality hasn't really dipped that much. That's the way to milk a franchise

26. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    the last two spiderman trilogies were bad. the Garfield ones were by far the worst. the newest version isn't perfect, especially the liberties taken with Aunt May, but the rest of it is just better.

27. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Watched “The Irishman” at the theater last weekend.

It’s a really good crime drama, up there with Goodfellas. The acting is good, the story is interesting.

My only complaint is that they used CGI to “youthen” De Niro, Pacino and Pesci for scenes when the characters they were playing in their late 30s to early 50s. The CGI for their faces is very realistic, the problem is that these actors who are now in their mid 70s can no longer physically move like men in the prime of their life. So any scene requiring any elements of action fall into an uncanny valley.

dolfan22 likes this.
  28. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    One of my favorite directors, Jonathan Glazer, is making a movie about German bystanders during the throes of WWII.

The director of Sexy Beast, Birth (my favorite by him), and Under the Skin has released a short film called The Fall (around 5 minutes long). There's a lot of surrealism and a commentary on today's social culture within it and it's, at the very least, an interesting watch.

https://us.thefall.film/

adamprez2003 likes this.
  29. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    The first 2 Conjurings were great. The Nun was terrible, and all the Annabelles I've seen have been equally as bad. The quality between the main movies and the spinoffs has dipped dramatically, in my opinion. That's not even counting Insidious, which is an excellent horror movie. Insidious' sequels were also, really bad, and the one literally undid the first one. I stopped watching them.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  30. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I didn't think they were bad but they weren't as fresh. They were a bit formulaic. Although Annabelle 2 I thought was really good. 1 and 3 eh. Co.pared to everything else out there I still like the pace and atmosphere of these movies. I think they are done better than others currently. I think old time horror is an art form that is dependent on atmosphere and timing and very few know how to do it in this age of splatter gore

invid likes this.
  31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Watched two cartoons over the weekend.

Teens Titans Go vs Teen Titans. As a fan of Teen Titans, and someone who enjoys Teen Titans Go, what can I say, it reminds me a little bit of looney toons, the movie was pretty much what I wanted. As serious as one can take the subject. If you enjoy both, you will enjoy this movie.

Klaus. This movie is on Netflix. It is a great origin of Christmas movie. The basic story of a rich kid who does all the right things for the wrong reasons until it gets to the point where he starts doing it for the right reasons. It is very predictable, but you don't watch Christmas movies to be challenged intellectually. The jokes are funny. The animation is really good. Would have been worth the price of seeing it in theaters. I will probably watch it again during Christmas time.

Ohio Fanatic and Unlucky 13 like this.
  32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Thank you for that. My kids are big Teen Titans Go fans, and we saw that movie in the cinema a year ago. We'll have to check out the one with the "regular" Titans too. I've heard good things other places about Klaus, and we'll have to watch that one soon.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  33. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I watched Dolomite with Eddie Murphy. Thought it was really quite good and Murphy was strong in it. A comedy with reality as undertones, while it is based on a true story I don't think it was done without liberties to the storyline.

Worth watching especially if you like/remember the blacksploitation films of the early 70's.

34. dolfan22

Some recent viewings:
    The Report, really thought it was very good of course I am a big Adam Driver fan. Very realistic to what is the current political situation so it will appeal to those that are interested in that. Good cast too.

Hustlers, saw it had some great reviews and thought it would be entertaining even if it was light. Turned out to be TV moviesh to me. I'd pass.

35. dolfan22

LOVE Chinatown, and it's easy to stream through many free add ons.

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I watched Cats because I had to see it.

I never been so happy to have watched such a terrible movie.

It hurt my brain. If you like trainwrecks watch this movie.

37. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I am enjoying the reactions immensely, though I likely will not see it myself. My wife kind of wants to go because she is a huge musical fan and enjoyed the play version and the music. Is it worth it from that aspect, or is that as bad as the visuals?

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It is worth it to go to watch the look of horror on your wive's face. It is worth it to go because you will NEVER have an experience like that and as of right now this is the only chance to have this experience in theaters. I assume this is going to be one of the late night singalong experience movies.

Last night I had a two-hour conversation with my girlfriend and how creeped out and disturbing she found that movie. It literally shook her. She did not prepare herself and went in with an open mind.

I spent a good amount of my time listening to other people's review of what I watched. The amazing thing is that they keep on bringing up stuff I forgot or did not notice. There is so much terrible on the screen at any given time.

I am not a big fan of musicals, but I do enjoy them. As a musical a few of the songs were entertaining. Taylor Swift is strangely attractive as a cat. For some reason they gave her a boob job and I enjoyed her song. I enjoyed the magical cat song. It is very 80s in its music. It was also hard to take in the music because the visuals were so weird.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  39. TheOne

TheOne Active Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Just watched Joker although I did enjoy it alot I'm not sure that is the direction DC should go with his character in the DC universe.

40. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Couple rentals.

Watched Ready or Not over the weekend, which was very meh. It reminded me of a movie that hit the same beats better, 2011's "You're Next". Samara Weaving, however, was a very likable female protagonist (on top of being an absolute fox).

Also recently watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which was amazing, with an incredibly satisfying ending an an great performance (with touches of comedy) from Leonardo DiCaprio. Speaking of foxes, can anybody beat Margot Robbie right now in the actress look department?

Lastly, Alita: Battle Angel. Some awesome CG-action scenes, but a godawful side love story that didn't even really need to be in there. Also, what an anticlimactic ending. Alita spends 5 seconds slashing the main bad guy in half instead of an epic fight scene that had been building for 2 hours. Movies like these, where 50% of the things going on the screen are CG, should just be CG front-to-back IMO. Really cool art direction, though (guess I should attribute that to the manga artist?).

Unlucky 13 and cuchulainn like this.