1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I want to see this but I will wait until I can watch it from home. Let me know what you thought.

2. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    It was good, but not as great as Hereditary. Hereditary did a better job at explaining the underlying lore that was driving the horror, this one did not do that at all, really. Great art direction though, Aster does a wonderful job of finding a good score and using it to great effect, and the acting was strong all around. It was definitely a mind****. It was 2 1/2 hours but it did not feel drawn out. The dynamic between the protagonist and her boyfriend was the most squirmy, uncomfortable thing throughout the whole movie. If I could go back and do it again I would wait for an at-home rental. Hereditary, on the other hand, was worth a trip to the theater.

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Finally saw Crimes of Grindelwald.

Was ... not good. I actually went to.do other things instead, but the wife finished it.

4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I was the same. And I had enjoyed all the previous movie and all of the Harry Potter series.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I still haven't seen Fantastic Beasts, but I quite enjoy the HP movies. I finally actually got through the "books" (audiotapes) for the first time as well and they were highly enjoyable. But Crimes was just bad. Depp was not a good choice to play Grindlewald. It was painfully and boringly slow. The way they treated the magic just struck me as ... off? Too casual? And - more personally, I admit - I am not a fan of the post WW1/1920s aesthetic regardless.

Mostly though, it was just boring, which should be insane to say for a movie focused around magic and Magical Hitler. But Crimes managed it.

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Fantastic Beasts wasn't terrific, more just pretty good. My wife (a big HP fan who's read all of the books) really enjoyed it because of the details. However, I'm totally with you on Crimes. It was so damn boring. So slow, and just a thud at the end. I asked my wife to explain the confusing motivations of a few of the characters, and she kind of just shrugged. It seems like they could have done a whole lot better.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  7. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I watched Under the Silver Lake. It's terrible and I can't think of one reason why anyone else should watch it.

invid likes this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'd never heard of it until just now :lol:

9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Just watched John Wick 3 and Hellboy. Enjoyed both with John Wick 3 being amazing. Probably best fight scenes out of the three. Reminded me of the RAID AND RAID 2

10. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Bad movie is bad. It's like they decided to extend an Urban Outfitters commercial into a full-length movie. It was hard to take Garfield seriously in that role, and it was incredibly overwrought and way too long.

11. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    The worst part was that the trailer made it look good. So I had expected to at least like it. Wrong!

Last night I watched Small Town Crime. It was fantastic. It’s streaming on Netflix.

12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Urban Outfitters has commercials? I'm oblivious to a lot of things, apparently!

13. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I actually don't know, lol! It was like a bad, trying-to-be-super-hip, MTV show, stretched out to beyond 2 hours. Does that work better?

There was a movie with Joseph Gordon Levitt that came out awhile ago where he was going around trying to solve a disappearance that had noir undertones, and it was very good. Silver Lake was not that.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  14. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Brick is the name of. I love that movie.

I’m trying to find a way to watch Chinatown because I hear it’s the best noir film of all time.

invid likes this.
  15. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Was that Looper? I wanted to see that but never got around to it. I think the only things I've seen him in since Third Rock are Batman and Inception.

16. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Chinatown is amazing, the steps in the unfolding of the mystery actually make sense. Brick! That's the one!

17. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Looper was surprisingly good if you can get past the Bruce Willis prosthetics on JGL. That Chuck and Mac song they used in the promos for that movie back when also became one of my favorite soul songs.

18. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Small Town Crime was good. I think I mentioned it last year.

I rewatched Chinatown on Prime a few weeks ago. Check out The Big Sleep as well if you enjoy that genre.

19. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I do and it's on my list along with a few others like Angel Heart, The Limey, The Long Goodbye, Twilight(not the vampire one), Night Moves and a few more.

20. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Looper was good. I really like Joseph Gordon Levitt. I also recommend the Lookout, 50-50, Brick and 500 Days of Summer.

Stitches likes this.
  21. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Now you're talking... those are all movies I enjoyed. Add in Leon The Professional, The American, The Outsider, The Jackal (both), Man on Fire (both), Momento, Once upon a time in the West, Get Carter (both), Payback (both), Snatch and Layer Cake.

If you like dark series check out True Detective, The Killing, The Fall, and Hinterland as well.

Also, try to find the original Zatoichi series from the 60s. Fun stuff.

22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Snatch is one of the greatest movies of all time.

23. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    These are the only ones I haven't seen from those lists.

24. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Also can we throw in Mindhunter for your dark series list?

25. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Haven't seen it. Looked to me like a redo of the movie ManHunter to me, which was a precursor to Hannibal.

26. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Mindhunter the tv series is great. August 16th season 2 I can’t wait. There is also a movie called Mindhunters that is very good.

Right now I’m watching thoroughbreds.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I saw Toy Story 4. It is fine. I enjoyed it well enough. Had some great laugh out loud moments, as the kids like to abbreviate.

However, it is a movie that is so weird when I think about it. What kind of God creates a slave race? Not only that but inanimate objects have a spirit, and when we make toys out of them they get consciousness?

Also, how do you not think there are ghosts everywhere? Things happen all of the time. You know that feeling you get, that you are being watched and you feel kind of creeped out? In this universe, it isn't a low hum caused by some of our electronics that kind of play with our brain, you are being watched. By every toy.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've never been that attached to the Toy Story movies. In part because I was already in college when the first one came out, and in part because I've always found them to be solid, but never spectacular. However, I was impressed by the 4th one because it keeps on chugging along the same way that the previous ones have.

So many animated sequels the last few years have been such big disappointments for me, after the originals were awesome. And that wasn't always the case, as for a while the second movie in an animated series was often my favorite. But the Toy Story 4 writers were really smart to limit the involvement of many of the previous characters to one liners and short scenes for a laugh, and not try to just cram them all into the movie as much as possible with no real story based reason to do so.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I only watched the first Toy Story movie. I thought it was fine, however, since I was also in college it did not really grab me as to something I want to see a ton of sequels. I just happen to be dating a woman with kids and her kids wanted to see it.

30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I hadn't seen the second one until I was with my wife - a huge Disney fan. And then even though we were together when the third one came out, I didn't see it until years later, watching it with my kids. I've now watched the second and third ones many times over, like many other family movies.

31. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My eight year old daughter just sat and watched Into the Spiderverse, glued to the screen, and absolutely loved it. I'm doing pretty good with that one :up:

Fin D and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I have now watched it again on Netflix. Still love it

33. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    “Heeere’s JOHNNY!” is such an iconic line.... but I’m sitting here watching ‘Carnal Knowldge’ 1971 [good movie BTW], and what do I hear, Jack calls out his ex-wife’s name as she appears in a slideshow “and Heeere’s BOBBIE!”
    Ann Margret was fantastic in her hay day I might add. You’re drawn to her like a magnet.

cuchulainn likes this.
  34. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    She was a little old for Elvis' taste, but good grief, that was a gorgeous woman in her day. She still looks fantastic for her age.

Maybe it's the Swedish heritage...

ToddPhin likes this.
  35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    There’s a point in Carnal Knowledge where you’re literally like, “Look Jack, if you don’t wanna mary her, I will dammit!” You start to feel bad for her character bc she’s just so adorable & lovable.

cuchulainn likes this.
  36. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Into the Spider-Verse is probably my favorite movie of the last three years.

37. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Saw "Ad Astra" yesterday and was really disappointed.

For a movie that spends 80% of its runtime showing us how awesome space is, having its theme be ...
    Space isn't all that great; you should really stay at home
    ... was pretty dumb, IMO.

38. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I thought it looked dull the first time I saw the trailer. Brad Pitt can do really well in the right supporting role, but I've rarely enjoyed a movie where he was the main lead.

39. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Just watched Joker.

Really good movie, but heavy. Not a CGI bash-fest, but a descent into madness story along the lines of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now.

Whether it’s a good portrayal of the Joker is debatable, but it’s definitely worth seeing.

cuchulainn likes this.
  40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Breaking Bad fans, El Camino was just what the doctor ordered. That is all.