1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007

Don't get me wrong...it is terrible.
    It is good for nostalgia and that's really it.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    danmarino likes this.
  2. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014

Yep...I've seen it.

Fin D likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ok...that’s How I feel about star is born, what a bad movie, I mean I’m not gay but watching Bradley cooper is worth the watch.

Fin D likes this.
  4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I only know Cooper as Rocket Racoon:up:

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007

new terminator, james camerons name on it but it still looks cheezy to me.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    ^ A movie series, I've never understood the intense fan devotion over.

The first two movies were the best of the bunch but at most they are OK movies overall.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    when the first one came it, it was great because it was a different kind of story with good special effects and Arnold in his prime. the 2nd one was okay, the rest were pretty dumb. I still occasionally go back to the old Terminator show in Universal studios just for nostalgia.

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I think Terminator 3 is good as a chase movie, though not necessarily as a Terminator movie.

I really liked the take on Salvation and wish it had got the sequels it was supposed to.

I also liked the Sarah Conner Chronicles.

9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched Ready Player One tonight, and I have to say that I'm disappointed. The special effects/CGI are top notch, but the story and characters are very poorly fleshed out and everything is on the surface. It felt like a really big budget made for TV movie, and given that it was directed by Steven Freaking Spielberg, that was a shock. It was also weird that the movie is set decades in the future, but everyone is obsessed with 1980s pop culture. The many, many references were cool for someone like me who was a kid at that point and grew up with it, but it didn't make a lot of sense in the movie's world.

C+ movie.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    forgot about Salvation, I did enjoy that one. saw the first few sarah connor chronicles and enjoyed them. but didn't get to watch the rest. forgot a young lena headley was in that one. always a fan of summer glau too

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I watched the Aladdin remake over the weekend. Aladdin is my favorite Disney film.

The movie was fun. If you have low expectations and just want to enjoy yourself, and maybe take your kids to a movie, then Aladdin is just fine.

The cast did a great job with what they had. The chemistry between all the actors was great.

Will Smith is not Robin Williams, however, he is still Will Smith. He has charisma coming out the wazoo, and he is having a blast in this role.

of course, the old cartoon is a better version, I did have a good time.

12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've never enjoyed the cartoon. I saw it once on VHS as a teenager, and then not again until a few years ago when my kids were old enough to watch it. It really hasn't aged well. Over the last six or seven years, I've watched every Disney movie in existence, and a ton of others, and it probably isn't in my top 50.

We're going to take our kids to see The Secret Life of Pets 2, Toy Story 4 and Angry Birds 2 this summer, but avoid that one. We'll likely eventually catch it on Disney+ later on.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It is still one of my favorites.

I saw the trailer for Angry Birds 2. That movie looks painful.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I haven't seen the trailer yet. I went into the first one with really low expectations, and was really pleasantly surprised. We've probably watched it 50 times, and it's still funny.

15. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    We want to see it, but will probably wait for PPV. We're big Aladdin fans. My kid was asking how Will Smith could possibly fill Robin Williams' shoes. But, my thoughts are it's apples vs oranges. IMO, Robin Williams in cartoon form would have been far better than Robin Williams as the real life genie

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Solo, didn't get enough credit.

I watched it a second time. Its a really good movie and tons of fun. There's nothing major to seriously dislike about it based on its own merits, I think most overall negative reviews are more based in that fact that people are just bitter and angry nowadays, to be honest.

Claymore95 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I agree totally. People were still bitter about The Last Jedi. Ron Howard has said that he'd like to make another movie in the series, but it seems thats off the table now, sadly. Disney is really pulling back and doesn't want to oversaturate it.

Fin D likes this.
  18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's why I'm so upset with Rian Johson over Last Jedi.

If he had just told the story like it was set up, there's have been less backlash and Disney would be more open to letting new stories in the SW universe be told....which is exactly what he wanted but now hindered.

19. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Agreed. Now JJ Abrams is trying to stuff the toothpaste back into the tube and make people happy with the final one.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I disagree. People just didn't want to see someone other than Harrison Ford play Han Solo.

For as angry as people say The Last Jedi got them, it still made 1.3 billion dollars.

The marketing also sucked. It was a hard sell. A stupid move by Disney.

I am part of the subset of fans that didn't watch the movie because they fired Lord and Miller. Just wasn't interested in the bland movie Ron Howard would create.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Yea, like he did with Star Trek Into Darkness.

JJ is a hack. Disney's biggest mistake was hiring him to create The Force Awakened.

22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Different tastes for different people, lol. I really enjoyed The Force Awakes and the first two new Star Trek movies. My hopes are high for the next one.

I absolutely love The Lego movie by Lord and Miller. But other than Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, which I view as one of the worst animated movies in history, I'm almost totally unfamiliar with the things they've done.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I enjoyed the Force Awakens, however, it wasn't good storytelling. It was a Nostalgia fest with too many open-ended questions for the sake of open-ended questions. They could have hired someone good who actually had an idea. JJ is just an idea person who puts out ideas and hopes other people can figure them out.

I liked the first Star Trek movie. Into Darkness was a terrible movie. The Khan reveal meant nothing to anyone who was in the movie, and they cured death.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is awesome. We have totally different tastes.
    They did both 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street, two movies that should not have worked, but were very funny.

And they were integral in one of my favorite movies of all time, Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse.

24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm going to watch the Spiderverse as soon as its on Netflix in a few weeks.

Bumrush likes this.
  25. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I saw X-Men Dark Phoenix this Tuesday. I'd say 6.5/10 maybe 7. Cons: It was too short, didn't introduce any/enough new characters and Evan Peters was barely in it. Pros: The actress who plays storm is spot on, Nightcrawler had some cool scenes, and the acting is still better than any Avengers movie.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  26. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Up to this point, I have seen every single X-Men universe movie in the cinema, but I might skip this one. I just haven't been able to get enthusiastic at all. Did not like any of the new actors that they introduced in Apocolypse at all.

27. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Watched Iron Sky: The Coming Race. Awesomeness. Nazis on the moon, the hollow earth theory, Hitler riding a T Rex, Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs as evil villains......what more could you want? If it doesn't win an Oscar, the Oscars are rigged

28. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, I"ll wait for this one to come out as well. I do like McAvoy and Fassbender. Hoult and Lawrence are fine too, but rest of the cast is a bunch of mehs

29. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I don't even really like superhero movies, but I really really enjoyed that one. Amazing colorwork in that one.

30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its on Netflix today! I'm going to probably watch it this Friday or Saturday with my wife. Kids have activities in the evening every day this week.

31. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i went into it thinking I would hate it but it was brilliant. So original and creative. Definitely hope they make more

vmarcilfan75 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I went in thinking I would love it. I left thinking it just might be one of my favorite movies of all time.

33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched Into the Spiderverse today and loved it. Fantastic story, very well written and acted. Well thought out, with humor and heart, and stayed interesting the entire two hours. And the visual style was amazing, even stunning. A unique mix of 3D near-photo realism and traditional comic art.

They did a terrific job of giving the characters a well rounded personality and motivations, having them play off of another another, and introducing new ones at just the right time, including a few with some fun curveballs attached. Plenty of meta jokes, phrasing and references to let you know that it knows is a comic book movie, and they all were just right.

34. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I had the pleasure to watch Shaft (2019) last weekend. If you like the 1971 original and the 2000 reboot with Samuel L Jackson you’ll have a blast. The trailer might fool you into thinking it’s a one note joke-fest but at it’s heart, like all the Shaft movies, it’s about solving a crime while kicking *** and looking cool.

A lot of the reviews didn’t like it because they didn’t inject modern day sensibilities into it. If you can only enjoy a movie if it preaches things you already agree with at you, then this movie isn’t for you. If you want a fun crime/action drama that has fun with the concept of impossibly cool bad asses taking care of business then you”ll enjoy Shaft.

35. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I saw Vice. Very good movie and if you fact check it you’ll be surprised by what this guy did and got away with.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I saw Spider-Man Far From Home.

I can't believe I live in a time when Mysterio is in a movie and there was one scene that was beautiful Mysterio goodness.

I agree with a lot of people that Tom Holland is the best live-action Spider-Man. Still, wish they would mention Uncle Ben.

I will say that you have to watch the first end credit scene. The crowd literally cheered during that scene. I loudly cheered as well. It is the best end credit scene since Nick Fury showed up at the end of Iron Man.

The movie is really fun. A good summer blockbuster. IMO, the second half is better than the first half of the movie.

Amazes me that MCU has not had 1 stinker during the first four phases. Yes, some people do not like all the movies, but they haven't had a movie that the critics hated or were a financial flop. Far From Home has already made $90 million in China. What a magical run the first four phases have been.

vmarcilfan75 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  37. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm hoping to go see it Friday night or Saturday. Can't wait. Too bad we won't get another MCU movie until next May!

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  38. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Going to see Midsommar tomorrow morning, interested to see if I like it as much as the director's last movie, Hereditary.

Bumrush likes this.
  39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    After End Game, I was fine with the break.

After Far From Home, I want another one sooner!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I got really used to the March, June, November thing they had going for a while. Spoiled.