1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Whats that movie about, was it any good??????

2. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    The Reaping....stupid, stupid movie, don't waste your time.

3. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Tell me about it. That was horrible.

4. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    It was a low budget.
    It was so bad it couldnt afford a 2nd capital L in the title.

5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The Frankenstein movie that is actually based on the book sucked.
    And even then a good portion of the movie wasnt based on the book.

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    A Scanner Darkly - 3 out of 5

Very trippy movie, not bad, just different.

The picture quality was great I thought though the sound left something to be desired, perhaps because it was a dialogue heavy movie they didn't do as much with it as they could have.

7. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I enjoyed that quite a bit. The chemistry among Reeves, Harrleson and Downey Jr. was awesome.

Of course, I'm a sucker for Phillip K. Dick stories.

8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I LOVED that movie. I thought it was one of the best films I watched 2 years ago. Woody Harrelson and Robert Downey were unbelievable, as was the robot man, Keanu.

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  9. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Well I know I didn't dislike it, I'm just not sure how much I like it, which is why I put 3. Definitely not bad like some people had told me.

10. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I can see how some people might not get it. If they dont know the story behind Timothy Leary they might be scratching their heads.

11. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    I am unfamiliar with the story. I wanted to see the movie so much because of how they made it.

12. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    The Dark Knight.

Don't bring sensitive kids. This is a dark film. My heart was racing from the beginning, I was scared for the lives of everyone.

Very much a post 9/11 film.

ILPhinFan88 and FinSane like this.
  13. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I too would like to proudly add Dark Knight to my list. And I pretty much agree with everything Hisn' said.

14. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The Dark Knight

Ditto on everything positive that has been said about it, especially Ledger's Joker.

15. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    The Dark Knight- Best movie thus far, Heath as the Joker is amazing. 5 out of 5!

16. ILPhinFan88

um, The Dark Knight, enough said already :up:

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The Dark Knight.

I was pretty much shaking during the entire film. My dreams last night were all about the Joker.

18. ILPhinFan88

Apocalypto- Pretty good movie

19. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    The Dark Knight- 10/10 5/5, whatever this movie was fantastic.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  20. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Dark Knight 10/10

Before that i saw Charlie Bartlett 7.5/10

21. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    Tdk-5/5

22. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    saw TDk twice...loved it both times. I understood alot more of the story the 2nd time around. It took me a while to pick up on the whole thing the first time. I won't go into details so as not to spoil it for others.

Just finished watching the Love Guru. I wish I could get those 90 minutes back. It is garbage.

23. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Good Luck Chuck- 1 out of 5, pretty crappy movie if you ask me.

Wanted- 3 out 5, kinda of a let down imo. I thought it would be better judging by the previews.

24. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Dark Knight 10/10

before that it was Journey to the Center of the Earth 7/10

and Incredible Hulk 9/10.

25. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    John Rambo: B-

I liked it, but it wasn't nearly as good as the work Stallone did with Rocky Balboa, and if it wasn't Rambo, I probably would have turned it off 20 minutes in.

26. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Lars and the Real Girl

27. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Is that a new movie?? I have heard of Rambo but not one called John Rambo:tongue2:

28. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    TDK :woot:

Out standing.

29. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Death at a Funeral -- HILARIOUS, principally for the performance of Alan Tudyk (Wash from "Firefly"/"Serenity"). If you like British comedy at all, you need to check it out.

30. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That movie was great. Who knew Alan Tudyk was from Plano, TX? (besides Lucky)

31. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    He really has a lot of range. Did you happen to see the episode of CSI in which he was a child molester? Not NEARLY as funny as "Death at a Funeral."

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  32. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    The Bank Job - 4.5/5 Really like it, has a little bit of everything. Good PQ and a 7.1 soundtrack. :drool:

Vantage Point - 3.5/5 Not the best movie, but I find it entertaining. Has some of the best PQ of movies in my collection and really great sound too.

We tried to see tDK on friday but it was sold it for 6 straight shows basically.

33. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Did you know he was Sonny in I, Robot?

(he has also played a pirate previously :lol:)

34. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    (jaw drops)

35. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    He is my girlfriend's (well fiance now, lol) favorite actor, so I know these things, lol.

36. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Congrats on that, BTW. :up: Well, I'd been meaning to give "I Robot" another look for a while anyway. Now I have yet another reason to.

37. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You could win a bet with that one bro.

He was great in 'A Knights Tale' as well.

38. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Now that one I *did* know about.

39. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Why So Serious?

Every once in a while, a film comes along that, despite all the hype, fails to live up to expectations. Luckily, The Dark Knight is not one of those films. This is easily the best movie sequel I've seen since the Empire Strikes Back - and arguably the best sequel to an original film of all-time. The Dark Knight is one of those rare sequels - much like Godfather II, Empire, and Wrath of Khan, that is not only on par with the original, but actually better. Nolan has succeeded in crafting one of those rare sequels that builds upon the successes of the first film - taking one of the main themes, escalation, quite literally. Like Wall-E, the Dark Knight is also one of the few films that take a standard genre – in this case, the summer comic book movie – and delivers much, much more.

Whereas Iron Man showed us a billionaire playboy who seems to become a hero just because it's the ultimate adrenalin rush, in Dark Knight we see Bruce Wayne using that playboy image as a means to an end. I love that we see Bruce out in the daytime, doing recon. While Stark always seems to be having fun, we get the impression that Wayne is fighting his own private war against crime, and using every resource at his disposal to win - regardless of whether it is ethical or practical. Ledger is getting a fair amount of press as the Joker; by all means he should (and I'll get to his performance in a minute), but Christian Bale as Batman/Bruce Wayne is perfect. We actually get to see The World's Greatest Detective doing detective work, something that wasn't shown in Batman Begins. Bale should go down as the best actor to play the role, period.

Heath Ledger. Simply amazing in the role of the Joker. You can't take your eyes off the screen when he's on. Just an amazing performance. Ledger's Joker is completely unhinged, just absolutely out of his mind. We have no idea if the Joker is really in control of everything, or if he's just winging it as he goes along. This is the most frightening version of the Joker ever conceived. There's no vat of acid, no back story to the Joker in this film. He simply shows up and goes on a crime spree. It's as if fate guided him to this point, and that's all we really need to know. Batman can't reason with him. Can't intimidate him. The Joker exists to cause death and destruction. No more, no less. This is simply one of the best bad guy portrayals of all time. Ledger is Oscar worthy here.

The rest of the acting and characterization down the cast is spot-on. Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent is truly amazing, and the makeup effects in the third act are just sick. Gary Oldman as Jim Gordon is spot-on, again. Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox, and of course Michael Caine as Alfred. Maggie Gyllenhaal is an improvement as Rachel Dawes. Everyone just carries their role so perfectly.

There's a variety of different themes explored throughout the movie. Obviously the main theme of this movie was "Escalation," which was alluded to at the end of Batman Begins. There's other things explore, like Order vs. Chaos. It's almost as if Gotham is another character in the film, a girlfriend that the Joker and Batman are fighting over. There are themes of human nature explored - I love the fact that the Joker believes he can drag anyone down to his level, even Batman. Then there's some specific alliteration.
    Harvey Dent is consistently referred to as "The White Knight" throughout the film, yet at the end of the film, newly appointed Commissioner Gordon refers to Batman as "The Dark Knight," which is a perfect close to the film, as it not only harkens to the title, but also closes the book on Harvey Dent as "The White Knight."
    This could have come across as cheesy, but Nolan handles it well enough that it makes sense within the context of the movie. I'm sure there are more themes to be explored, but it will probably take a second viewing to really appreciate them.

This has been a great summer for cinema. I can say, easily, that this is the best adaptation of the comic book medium on film, ever. Nothing even comes close. In fact, I would go so far as I love that I forgot I was watching a "comic book" movie. Nolan has succeeded in elevating the genre beyond guys in tights and bad guys with one-liners. This is not simply a summer action movie. This is a hard-boiled film noir crime drama, and it is simply amazing. The film is deserving of all the praise it is getting, and should get serious consideration as the Best Picture of the Year. 5/5.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
    vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  40. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    So is it better than Batman Begins, because technically BB was a sequel (well prequel) too. :tongue2: