*****The Official Miami Dolphins 2021 Draft Thread*****
605 replies
Re; last night's picks all I can say is it is what it is. Hopefully Grier & Company know more than we do (or more than I do). But yeah, I was more than a little disappointed by the selections personally.
Looking ahead, if they can somehow manage to get J. Williams & Q. Meinerz/C. Humphrey in the 2nd/3rd rounds, I'll be very happy. Now, just so y'all understand, because that's who I want, it won't happen. Sorry, but that's just how it seems to go with me and my Dolphins. LOL...
http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg
Oh, and I think they'd have to move up to Jax's first pick in the second round to get J. Williams. Can easily see either the Jests or Falcons taking him.
http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg
Night one winner is clearly the Jaguars w/ Lawrence and Etienne.
I'm excited for the Waddle pick as well- was leaning towards him over Smith the past few days and the kid can absolutely fly. Pure stud after the catch in finding the end zone.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
Without reading this thread, can I summarize that they either took the wrong Bama receiver or should have taken the Tackle the Bengals should have taken and a that pass rusher from the U gets a lot of concussions?
I hear Waddle is faster.
Nothing wrong with making a good defence better.
"Galant wrote:
Lots! You know, the whole, playing sports part of it - and the watching sports part too.
I don’t know about you but at 43, my body couldn’t handle another football practice
I have no idea how guys like Brady do it.
Dropping from 3 landed them an extra first rounder. I would take that pick over a marginally better receiver. They already have a version of Pitts.
We're really parsing things here. Tua had Gesicki and a bunch of Practice Squad guys last December. Fitzpatrick knows how to play with those type of guys, Tua didn't have the experience.
Assuming some level of health, he has an abundance of help going into this season.
"DolPhinPhan7 wrote:
Without reading this thread, can I summarize that they either took the wrong Bama receiver or should have taken the Tackle the Bengals should have taken and a that pass rusher from the U gets a lot of concussions?
I hear Waddle is faster.
Nothing wrong with making a good defence better.
Speaking for myself, the bolded part is definitely my position. But, what the hell do I know? Herbert over Tua [cough, cough].
http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg
"DolPhinPhan7 wrote:
Dropping from 3 landed them an extra first rounder. I would take that pick over a marginally better receiver. They already have a version of Pitts.
We're really parsing things here. Tua had Gesicki and a bunch of Practice Squad guys last December. Fitzpatrick knows how to play with those type of guys, Tua didn't have the experience.
Assuming some level of health, he has an abundance of help going into this season.
The problem is that 1st round pick is 2 years down the road and who knows what our roster will be then. Discounting to present value, we have essentially a 3rd pick. I’d trade Waddle and a 3rd for Chase.
The other problem is this team was 10-6. We are close. But we spent draft capital on guys with injury questions in a long line of people with injury issues: Tua, Parker, Fuller.
Funny thing is they did exactly what I didn't want them to do, they took players I didn't really like at the wrong time + our division rivals did better imo. Let's see where we at after the draft and when the season starts but this draft started totally wrong for my taste.
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
"Galant wrote:
I hope they are right...
"hitman8 wrote:
So just because they were starting (for parts of the season) that makes them great picks? That logic is completely wrong. If you look at Grier's drafting over the years, especially his first round picks, they have been completely underwhelming or outright busts. Especially when you consider some of the guys he left on the board to select those players. None of last year's first round picks were impressive in their performances, and Grier left a lot of great players on the board when he selected them, players that did perform astronomically better, even in their first year.
So yeah, we can safely say Grier has shown that he is an average to below average drafter and talent evaluator.
If you followed the conversation the fact that they started at key positions means that they were key contributors the the team that went 10-6 the second year of a complete tear down rebuild. Which was the point.
Let's look at Grier's first round picks as a GM, since you claim, "they have been completely underwhelming or outright busts".
2016 L Tunsil. Not a bust, not underwhelming, best contributor to the Dolphins since Marino. Cornerstone of the rebuild. (How many picks? Still got a 1st and a 3rd from his trade chain!)
2017 C Harris, bust. That's one.
2018 M Fitzpatrick, not a bust, an all pro. Didn't fit with Flores, still got a 1 backing trading him.
2020 Tua, not a bust, not completely underwhelming, starting QB earlier than expected. There should be a huge jump in play from year one or he will be trending to underwhelming.
2020 A Jackson. Starting LT, not sure what else is expected for a rookie tackle, no reason not to expect steady improvement.
2020. N. Igbinoghene, underwhelming as a rookie. One of the youngest players in NFL and a CB, so time will tell. Started playing CB in 2018.
So, you've got one bust and one that was underwhelming as a rookie CB.
________________________________________
"It's a bunch of drunk, mid-30s type of crowd who are very well-educated," Evans said. "Much more vocal. A little bit more crazy. It's a little nastier playing down there, to be honest."
--Sounders Midfielder Brad Evans on Portland vs Seattle Fans--
"mlb1399 wrote:
We’re all armchair wannabe GM’s but what fun would sports forums be if people didn’t have opinions.
On that note, I would have been fine with Waddle or Smith 10-15 but feel 6 is too high and we should have taken Sewell. I don’t understand why we keep spending top end draft picks on players that are injured and/or have a history of injury. When half of our offense is injured next season and we miss the playoffs again, hopefully Ross starts asking some tough questions.
Well...At that point when Chase was off the board and Pitts was in Atlanta...The BPA in my limited knowledge mind was in fact Sewell. We didn't take him and that's why I was upset, but like I said. The Waddle pick has really grown on me as the day as gone on. At the end of the day, I trust the organization to do what's best. It's a swing for the fences pick as was the Phillips pick. Both could turn out to be home run picks and both could just have injury riddled careers and underachieve. We'll see....I'm super excited about Waddle though.
"ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Well...At that point when Chase was off the board and Pitts was in Atlanta...The BPA in my limited knowledge mind was in fact Sewell. We didn't take him and that's why I was upset, but like I said. The Waddle pick has really grown on me as the day as gone on. At the end of the day, I trust the organization to do what's best. It's a swing for the fences pick as was the Phillips pick. Both could turn out to be home run picks and both could just have injury riddled careers and underachieve. We'll see....I'm super excited about Waddle though.
I was in the Sewell camp as well. I trust Flo completely but the jury is still out on Grier.
btw, I like your name. I was listening to them on my drive yesterday. Don’t know much about them but have heard a few of their songs and dig them.
And Day 2 is officially on!
Let's go Javonte Williams!
Urban Meyer saving the good players for others. Such a sweet guy.
Just have to get past the Falcons now
Hey hey, Jests take a WR and RB.
Not surprising really though - while it's a big need, that offensive system they will run can get production out of less.
I'm already bracing for us to pass for some CB or something though ugh.
Or Denver, lol
Sniped
"Two Tacos wrote:
If you followed the conversation the fact that they started at key positions means that they were key contributors the the team that went 10-6 the second year of a complete tear down rebuild. Which was the point.
Let's look at Grier's first round picks as a GM, since you claim, "they have been completely underwhelming or outright busts".
2016 L Tunsil. Not a bust, not underwhelming, best contributor to the Dolphins since Marino. Cornerstone of the rebuild. (How many picks? Still got a 1st and a 3rd from his trade chain!)
2017 C Harris, bust. That's one.
2018 M Fitzpatrick, not a bust, an all pro. Didn't fit with Flores, still got a 1 backing trading him.
2020 Tua, not a bust, not completely underwhelming, starting QB earlier than expected. There should be a huge jump in play from year one or he will be trending to underwhelming.
2020 A Jackson. Starting LT, not sure what else is expected for a rookie tackle, no reason not to expect steady improvement.
2020. N. Igbinoghene, underwhelming as a rookie. One of the youngest players in NFL and a CB, so time will tell. Started playing CB in 2018.
So, you've got one bust and one that was underwhelming as a rookie CB.
2016 was the only good draft Grier has had, and it just so happens that was a year where he traded down for more pics, which is my preferred strategy. He lucked out that number one overall talent Tunsil fell to us at 13.
2017 was a complete disaster of a draft. Drafting Harris while leaving guys like TJ Watt on the board. No impact players came out of that draft.
2018 was C/C+ type draft. Fitzpatrick was a bust for us, even if he did go on to play great in pittsburgh.
2019, wilkins has been ok, but not great or overly impressive. Again no real impact players from that draft.
2020, we passed on the offensive rookie of the year to instead pick an undersized, soft armed and injury prone QB who proceeded to play mediocre and got injured again during his rookie season. I saw nothing from Tua last year that gives me any faith in him being a great QB in the future. Jackson did start because we pretty much had nobody better to play at tackle, but he was ranked amongst the 3-5 worst starting tackles in the league. Have not seen anything special out if him. Then reaching and wasting a first round pick on a slow and inexperienced slot corner like igbinoghene while leaving guy like Antoine Winfield jr on the board was another bonehead pick.
This year we wasted our six overall pick on an undersized slot receiver. Then picked a high risk injury prone edge rusher like phillips. You can keep saying it's too early to judge, but you grade all of Grier's drafts from 2016 till now, a C+ is the best grade you can give him so far. Other than Howard there are no superstars or high impact players on this team right now that he has drafted.