1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****The Official 2016-2017 NBA Thread****

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Section126, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Joe Johnson signs with Utah.

2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    2 years 22 million for Joe.

3. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I can't speak for VL, but I'm far from high strung. I think some of what you are saying is legitimate, I just think the monetary sacrifice has been a little overstated by people.

Well, I don't know that he ever got to the point that he was negotiating like it's been rumored this year, but it could be that the interest wasn't quite the same. There were certainly plenty of rumors that he was considering leaving. I find it really hard to believe that he would have gotten that kind of an offer, though. Not many teams had max cap space, and Wade was 33 and coming off of a season in which his team was a lotto team and he had missed 28 games in two seasons and played less minutes in those two seasons than he had in any year of his career. Also, so many teams were trying to save space for this offseason, I'm not sure anyone was ready to commit that long to him.

4. biggiesmalls3k1

biggiesmalls3k1 ZT = H.O.F. Club Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    Iso-Joe for 11/per. God bless Utah lmao. That guy had nothing left in the Toronto series.

5. biggiesmalls3k1

biggiesmalls3k1 ZT = H.O.F. Club Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    No one was going to give Wade 20 million over multiple years last offseason, that is just ridiculous. He was coming off missing 20+ games, most were assumming he was going to continue missing double digit games. He hasn't really left that MUCH on the table, and besides, we aren't asking him to do something that other hall of famers have done. Sure, go the Kobe route, get paid and your team turns into a dumpster fire because you can't put a good team around you. I don't think this is what the guy really wants. This screams agent-driven talk to me.

6. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Theres like 3 Jazz fans on the Realgm Utah Jazz board and they all are excited to have Joe Johnson lol

7. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I guess JJ is content with retiring ringless.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Pat Riley and Dwyane Wade playing everyone like a fiddle right now.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Deng gone to the Lakers, 4 years $72 million.

Sent from my OnePlus 3

10. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Even Deng getting $18M a year. The contracts are insane. Thanks for a couple of good years Luol!

11. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Lakers are paying 140 million to Mozgov and Deng.

12. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I wonder how much the Heat are thinking Wade will take a year if they sign Durant. Given the contracts coming out I can't blame him if he really is balking at them expecting him to take $10M per year. I've been on the train that he is trolling the league but I am starting to wonder.

13. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Whatever the numbers are, Riley will make sure the contract expires with Bosh. Fairly sure its going to be 3 year 60 million but Wade is going to want Dwight's contrsct of 70.5 million for 3 years. When 2019 comes we would have cleared quite a bit of cap space with Wade and Bosh off the books and both likely headed to retirement or taking their talents elsewhere.

14. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    When you look at the cost for even just keeping the Heat's pretty good team together, I see Pat's point on Wade.

Going forward, is the best way to win paying Wade $20 million a year for 3 years?

15. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Wade is a lifer kind of guy though. You don't take care of him and you lose a ton of credit as being a player friendly organization which is a big selling point for the franchise.

16. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    We traded away Alonzo and other "lifers", the Heat will survive, free agents look for money and location, they arent going to reject a team because you didnt sign a lifer.

Even Hassan Whiteside brought up thw fact that he could possibly be traded just recent. Yet he still agreed.

17. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Haslem looking for more than the minimum with Denver and Minnesota interested per Ethan

It's time to say so long (not good bye, he'll be back when he retires)

18. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    LeBatard's response to a tweet regarding the $10 million offer to Wade:

"So. Many. Lies"

19. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Haslem will get his 3 year farewell contract with us too. Anybody else want a raise before retirement? Would paul pierce like a max contract?

20. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah I love me some UD but if someone is willing to give him real money at this point, "thanks and see you later."

sports24/7 likes this.
  21. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    You want to talk about someone who gave up money, it's UD. He does not have the endorsement money, and a few million is a big difference when you consider what he has made in relation to what Wade has. That being said, I'm not paying him more than the minimum. He is one of my all-time favorites, but he brings nothing to the table on the court at this point. I can't believe anyone would pay him unless they think it help lands Wade.

22. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    You mean all of this is agent-driven bull ****? Shocking!

23. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Yep.. Turned down a huge offer from the Mavericks and stayed with us for half of what he was offered to play alongside prime Dirk Nowitzki.

Sorry if I dont feel sorry for Wade who has made near max his entire career plus got multi million endorsements with his 5 title runs here.

24. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    The more I think about it, I can't believe it won't be a moot point re:Wade. I know Riley is the godfather but how the hell do you sell Durant on Bosh (who no one can really say where he will be), aging Wade, and Hassan? I just can't see how you can package the uncertainty that the Heat have as being better than some of the more stable situations willing to throw KD money.

25. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Damaged the organization?

You want to know WHY you made it 4 straight finals and won 2?

I'd say he elevated your franchise from good to great in his time there....now it's just back to a soft good. Appreciate what you got to see during that run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Wade's only arguably the greatest athlete in South Florida sports history. Let's have a little respect guys. Even if he left us tomorrow for a payday he has given us a LOT

The Rev, Fin-O, 305 and 1 other person like this.
  27. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think that's a bad sell, really. If you have Bosh, Whiteside, Wade, and KD you have a championship contender regardless of how old Wade is. The Spurs won with aging players. You also can't discount Richardson and Winslow who are two ascending players. You're also selling him on the organization and Riley's track record. The guy makes things happen. If Bosh doesn't end up playing you then have another max slot next offseason that could go to one of the many star free agents that will be out there. Potentially even his buddy Russ. If Bosh does return, Riley has shown he can find ways to get good players at the MLE and minimum. I think the Heat are in a good position with KD.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Something occurs to me. This is a gofundme that seems like a joke, pay Dwyane Wade.

https://www.gofundme.com/2cfw2v38

Let's take that aside for a moment because I don't think Heat fans think Wade is actually leaving.

But what if someone (a popular local Miami organization of some sort, completely unaffiliated with the NBA) started a Go Fund Me for snagging "whale" free agents like Kevin Durant? I mean ****, Alabama boosters paid Nick Saban's property taxes. If a bunch of Heat fans just start tossing in $5 each to see Kevin Durant playing for their favorite team and likely bringing them a championship, are there any rules against KD accepting that payment?

29. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Keep in mind you don't have to sell that it's a good situation. You have to sell that it's the best situation. Given CB's very questionable health objectively that is a really tough sell. If it was anyone other than Riley I would say it is a total pipe dream.

The more I think about it the more I try to think from KD's perspective and I just can't see how you see Miami as a better situation that Golden State. I guess a lot depends on what he thinks of Whiteside which I have no clue about.

30. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    As a counterpoint the one argument I think that holds water is...

How much does KD really improve GSW? I mean they were so goddamn efficient already how do you incorporate him and give everyone their shots? He definitely adds more to the Heat than GSW.

31. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    sports24/7 likes this.
  32. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Again, I think an argument can be made that it IS the best situation. Look at Riley's track record. If Miami were healthy this year they would have given the Cavs a tough time in the ECF. Replace Dragic with KD and give Winslow and Richardson another year under their belt, and give Riley a chance to recruit some role players with that team as a selling point.

If Bosh isn't healthy, again, I don't see that as a huge block because you can then go get a Blake Griffin, Westbrook, Paul, etc. next offseason. And you have very little doubt that Riley can make that happen.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/01/kevin-durant-free-agency-rumors-income-taxes-thunder-warriors-heat

Takes a "Net Income" approach to the deals Kevin Durant could be offered. Concludes that his net income in Miami or San Antonio would be $145.5 million versus $136.6 million in Boston, and $121.8 million in L.A. or San Francisco.

They have OKC paying $158.1 million but that's not fair as that's a five-year contract.

From a corporate finance perspective there are some issues with this analysis. I think it's relevant that OKC has state taxes and his five year deal would guarantee he pays state taxes on both his Nike deal and his salary.

I would compute a net present value of the four projects (OKC, MIA/SA, BOS, LAC/GSW). For the first of these projects it would be a 5 year project. For the later three, it would be a 4 year project. This approach would probably use a discount rate of 5.9 percent which is calculated as the annualized growth rate of the NBA salary cap over the last 10 years (including this year, which saw a huge jump of 34%).

OKC: $140,830,169.5
    MIA/SA: $117,966,133.1
    BOS: $110,925,778.6
    LAC/GSW: $101,145,343.0

But of course now you have to reconcile the different project lives. Generally speaking we do this one of two ways. You can multiply the projects out to a common denominator (20 years), or you can just calculate the Equivalent Annual Annuity using the above NPVs and the 5.9% discount rate. I prefer the latter, easier to do.

OKC: $33,341,676.3
    MIA/SA: $33,966,100.5
    BOS: $31,938,964.6
    LAC/GSW: $29,122,874.5

This probably represents why Miami believes they have a real shot with Kevin Durant. Their per year compensation actually beats OKC's by $600k, even accounting for OKC's ability to tack on a 5th year at $35.5 million compensation, because of state taxes.

Now, the catch here is that the SI writer assumes that Durant will establish his residence wherever he signs, and this will affect the taxes on the $30 million per year he gets from Nike. It's my understanding many players go ahead and establish residence in Florida regardless of where they play. The reason you'd do that is so that you won't pay state taxes on marketing revenues. Durant is going to pay Oklahoma taxes on his OKC salaries regardless. And he's going to pay the "jock tax" when he travels to other states and plays games in those states. But he doesn't have to pay Oklahoma state taxes on his Nike revenue if he sets up Florida residency regardless of where he plays.

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    In short Miami's offer could be viewed to be $5 million per year in real dollars better than the Clippers' or Warriors' offers.

But only $600k better than the Thunder's offer.

And that's before considering the additional marketing opportunities that the city of Miami may be able to offer over Oklahoma City, along with the wink-wink stuff in China.

If he cares about money, Miami's offer will be the best...by a good bit.

EDIT: Also of note, I felt like I used a pretty conservative discount rate at 5.9 percent, the CAGR of the NBA salary cap the last 10 years. I believe that the more aggressive you make the discount rate, the more attractive Miami's offer gets.

35. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Jon Leuer signs 4 year 42 million dollar deal.. you may all search him on google now.. talk white dude that would be on the bench in 90% of the NBA..

36. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Theres a line of NBA groupies googling him right now lol.

37. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Frank Asshola says Dwyane Wade is a long-shot for New York. Marc Berman says Wade's agent is using the Knicks to drive up the price in Miami.

38. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

NBA owners and executives really let salaries inflate. I guess it's much closer to a true market now which is good for players. This might necessitate that one uncapped slot on the roster for a team's star, because as it stands, role players and roster fillers are starting to eat a lot of salary. If you can't reach the salary floor in 2016-2017 you're not trying.

Sent from my OnePlus 3

39. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    "Felicia" Curry just can't stop tweeting. Internet dorks are destroying her.

Well deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    what did she say now lol