1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****The Official 2016-2017 NBA Thread****

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Section126, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Wont happen but the thought of a Phil vs Riley rivalry being rekindled is good for the NBA.

NYK doesnt, but they could easily. Move O Quinn (who at 4M per is a relative steal as a backup 4/5) and renounce Galloway at 3M ish. Combine those two moves with the roughly 17M we should have left after the Noah move and it can be done.

Do I think it will happen? Not a chance in hell. Wade goes back to Miami while using half the league as leverage.

2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Woj reporting that Wade has multiple $20 million per year offers with Chicago and Denver most aggressive

Claims initial Heat offer was a multi year deal starting at $10 million.

I don't buy any of this for a second. If he has multiple years offers at $20 per, why wouldn't he take it? Sunday night this will be resolved

3. biggiesmalls3k1

biggiesmalls3k1 ZT = H.O.F. Club Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    I don't buy any of this for a second. This is totally agent driven and I am dissapointed in Henry Thomas considering he bent us over with the Bosh contract. Wade is not trashing his legacy in Miami to go chase money in Denver, Milwaukee, or Chicago, all three of those teams are rebuilding perpetually. Chicago has blown that team up. Wade cannot get back from vacation soon enough, im sure LeBron is in his ear feeding him some more BS.

This is all ego and posturing, I have zero doubt that he will end his career only playing for one team, the Miami Heat, something he has said time and time again. He is going to get what he wants, there is no scenario in which he doesnt. Durant comes and I guarantee we find a way to still pay Wade, Durant doesnt come and we take care of Wade with the room we have left, plus moving McBob. Riley will be celebrating come July 4th with Wade in tow.

4. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Yeah I think it's BS.

If he really had multiple $60 million offers out there he'd leave the damn vacation a few days early to go visit these teams

And if he really does have those offers we don't seem overly concerned about it.

I love Wade but if the money is that important to him and he's willing to schlep his family to effing Denver to get it, then God bless. We'll see you in a few years for the statue unveiling and jersey retirement

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  5. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Wade would be well within his right to ask for a max deal from Miami. He doesn't owe that franchise anything. He took less money for years for them to put together the Bosh/Lebron/Wade trio and he would be totally justified in saying, Ok, now I want the money. I do think the Heat have been kicking the can down the road with him, at some point he's either going to get a long term deal that is spread out over time or he's going to get a Kobe send off. Sure all of this is probably his agent and him playing the game but so what?

I saw earlier today that Bobby Bonilla STILL gets a million a year from the Mets lol. Maybe Wade can sign a 100 year deal that transfers to his kids at a million per.

6. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    This is a carbon copy of last offseason. He threatened and blew smoke for a couple days, only to come to Jesus and "come back home", in his words. The only difference is that this offseason everybody has tons of money to throw around and a bunch of JAGs are getting ridiculous money. I still cannot believe Chandler Parsons is a max player. The guy is a role player, nothing more than that, and he was hurt almost the entire time he was in Dallas. I'm sure that eats at Wade, but not enough to blow his legacy up to go money chasing in freaking Denver lmao. This is preposterous.

7. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    All this sacrificing. No one put a gun to Wade's head to sacrifice for his buddies LeBron and Bosh. We figured out a way to get it done. He decided to sacrifice for Udonis and Mike Miller. Sometimes to be a champion and a Hall of Famer, it calls for sacrifice. Dwyane knows the game, he knows that Riley swings for the fences, but guess what?? He always puts the Heat and Dwyane Wade in position to be Championship contenders. The guy is a gaziliionaire, by the way, HE decided to opt out and leave money on the table the same offseason LeBron left Miami, we surely didn't make him do that. Give me a break.

8. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Look, you're right to an extent. He is certainly entitled to ask for whatever he can get and in a perfect uncapped world (or even a world where we could use bird rights) he'd get it

But on the other hand, if you make a sacrifice you made it. He got championships and a huge shoe deal out of it along with his other endorsements. The notion that he didn't benefit financially from having the Big 3 is ludicrous. And had the franchise known that he wasn't making a sacrifice but deferring payments, maybe they would have just given him that money up front

So it's enough. I want him to stay. He doesn't need $60 million from Heat to be even. It's a lot less than that

9. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He got his rings for it and hes made millions off endorsements tied with Arison and many other deals because of the Big 3 era. Lets not pretend he sacrificed half his salary.

The embodiment of sacrifice on the Heat, is Udonis Haslem, a guy that has turned down 8-11 million per year before and stayed for 3 million. Thats a guy that is owed a lot and we gave him his raise recently. We arent going to give Wade a five year max. He has made near max his entire career with the advantage of a tax free state.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  10. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    By the way, Dirk and Timmy have left tens of millions of dollars on the table in the name of building championships at their respective teams. Stop being a diva and listening to your boyfriend LeBron. You know who should be mad?? Dirk, guy has given up a ton of money over the years and Cuban has done nothing to pay him back with a supporting cast worth the sacrifice. I never hear this crap from him or his agent.

11. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Wade could get $20M from some teams out there. Much worse players are getting that much. Should Miami give him that much? Not sure, but I am not going to fault the guy for not doing whats best for him financially at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

12. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    Also if he goes somewhere like Denver or Milwaukee, you can say goodbye to a lot of that endorsement money he's seeing in Miami. That has to be a factor i'd think...

13. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Of course itll factor, you wont hear from Wade again if he goes toDenver. When the hell does Denver ever play on TNT or ESPN/ABC since Carmelo left?

14. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Look at it from Wades point of view. Whiteside, who has literally done next to nothing in his NBA career and was playing lord knows where a few years ago got a 4 year 92 million dollar deal. Why would Wade take less than that? Regardless of shoe deals, etc. Your yearly salary is a ego thing as well and ALL professional athletes have egos.
    I think if the Heat can get Durant Wade is probably all in on taking less but if not then why would he? If the Heat don't get Durant they aren't going to beat Cleveland, sorry but thats just the way it is, why take a lot less to finish 3rd in the East and go out giving the Raptors a hard time in the playoffs?

15. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I would think he could go to Chicago or New York and still do fine. He could go to the Clippers too :)

For the record, if I had to bet I would bet everything on him staying but he's putting this stuff out so people will talk about it so we are.

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

Maybe we outta burn his jersey and start production on those urinal cakes.

17. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Well that's kinda the point.

Just wait 36 hours until after the Durant meeting then we'll figure it out. It's not that much to ask and it can't be that urgent for Wade since he's not cutting the vacation short.

So what's the point of letting your agent put this out there?

18. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    Neither the Clippers or the Knicks have the cap space to offer him a deal that he is seeking. To go there would just be to spite Miami and I dont think he wants to do that. Chicago I can see because he is from there. But I get the feeling that he and Butler would have a tough time getting it to work. I just dont see a scenario that he leaves Miami when he can make 15-20 here when the dust settles and keep his legacy going here. Have a little patience, theres no reason to rush it when the whole process will probably be over in 72 hours.

19. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    There's a report that Clippers met with Durant for four hours today and he was blown away. Come on Riley... I hope you got your best stuff ready for Sunday..

20. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    I wouldn't take too much stock in these "reports". I remember the Nets "reporting" that they were considered front-runners for LeBron in 2010 after they "blew him away" with their presentation. Oh and Dallas being front-runners for Whiteside like 6 hours before he came back to Miami. Riley is going to walk into that room with Andy, the Arisons, and Zo. He is going to do what he does. It is going to be a fun 72 hours.

KD is not going to the Clippers, I dont believe they have any kind of cap space for him unless they move Blake, they do that and remove some of the appeal that a move there has. I believe its a 3-Horse race between GSW, OKC, and MIA. You can never count The Godfather out...

21. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Hawks resign Bazemore, 4 years $70 million

Can they still afford Horford? Does Boston try to secure Horford before KD meeting?

22. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I think Wade and Riley just enjoy this stuff lol.

sports24/7 likes this.
  23. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    ATL got Dwight, they are out of the Horford race. I believe it comes down to Boston and OKC for him. If OKC grabs him, you can almost certainly say that KD will return to OKC. So we might have to root for Boston to swoop in and grab Horford unfortunately lol.

24. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You want to get nuts, lets get nuts

Renounce Wade, clears $30 million, renounce Deng, clears another $13 million, Stretch and release Bosh, clears $15 of his $25 million

Sign KD and Horford, Westbrook next year

Boom

25. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Per Woj, Horford met with Washington and Houston (and two unknown others) and plans to make decision this weekend

Anywhere other than OKC/Boston is good for the chase

26. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    That would take huge BALLS on the part of Riley. I don't think he'd go the nuclear route, but that is very interesting in theory. Rebuild the team around Hassan, KD, and Russ next offseason. I just can't see Wade and the Heat parting at his point. Though one could've said the same about Zo.

27. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    That guy Leif on Twitter makes a good point

So much of what is going on with Wade now stems from his decision to say nothing about his best friend LeBron leaving when he had to know

sports24/7 likes this.
  28. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    I mean LeBron pretty much screwed the Organization over, Wade had to know if LeBron was meeting with Dan freakin' Gilbert in secret. He chose not to say anything to Riley. I could totally see the Heat Org being sour over that.

29. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    What difference would it had made?

30. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    In the eyes of the decision makers it apparently has changed their perception of Dwyane. He is now someone who puts his friendship with LeBron, someone who damaged the organization directly, over the team that has been paying him and treating him like a living legend for the past 13 years. We made moves, and lost out on potential moves because of the chicanery that LeBron did. As a member of the team he plotted his way out of Miami, and the person closest to him chose to keep it away from his employers. This isn't something that Pat Riley is soon to forget.

31. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    Pat Riley does not blink, you do the blinking. When he decided to move on from freaking Alonzo Mourning, the heart of soul of the Miami Heat, that should tell you that his loyalties lie to the Miami Heat Organization, there will be a day when Dwyane Wade is no longer playing basketball, the Miami Heat will go on. Pat's job is to ensure the team's well being after Dwyane is gone. Not any 1 player is bigger than the Miami Heat.

32. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Damn you all turn on a guy like Cleveland fans without the jersey burning yeesh.

33. biggiesmalls3k1

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    Who is turning?? calm the heck down lol. I'm just looking at it from the vantage point of the organization. Dwyane Wade is the greatest athlete to ever play in Miami. I would love nothing more for him to end his career in a Miami Heat uni. I was just explaining what that Leif guy might have been referring to in that tweet.

34. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    You want us to give a max to a 35 year old guard? That's dangerous.

35. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Wade IS within his rights to ask for however much he wants. Few players have done for their team what he has. That being said, the amount of money that Wade has "given up" is a little bit overstated. Mike Ryan said it very well today on twitter IMO. The most money he gave up was two years ago when he was hoping LeBron would come back, and opted out. But let's not forget that the Heat gave him $20M this past year, which was more than he would have gotten on the open market. And before everyone starts throwing out the money given out today, let's not forget the cap difference between today and last year this time.

What you've said about Whiteside vs. Wade is true, but Whiteside is a 27 year old ascending player. He had multiple teams lining up to give him the max. Wade will not get an offer like that from any team even with the cap where it is. Value is value.

Again, I want Wade to stay in Miami and I'm fine if they Heat have to pay up to do it. The guy has probably become the greatest player in Miami sports history at this point, and has done just as much for the team off the court. But I understand why the Heat would consider their options. In the end, though, I don't believe any of this stuff and fully believe Wade will be a member of the Heat next year and probably for the rest of his career.

36. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    They did give him 20 million, for one year. Last year someone would have given him a deal in the 4 year 80 million range or something close. Wade's had options to get money elsewhere he's just always chosen the Heat. And he took the one year deal to give them flexibility to go after free agents. He's always been a team player with the front office, I don't expect that will change this year.

37. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    There's no way anyone would have given him that much money last year. There weren't many teams that even had that much cap space. Don't get this year's cap situation confused with last years's.

38. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Now youre making up stuff finfans, he did not have a single offer of 4 years 80 million. We get it, you want Wade to get the max for you can say you told us so, it's going to happen just wait. I have one question to you though, are you by any chance Xavier Wade (his love child)?

Good lord.

39. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Was he even really looking last year? I guess its easy to say no one would have given him it when he wasn't looking for it. Who knows. Either way he certainly could have gotten a much longer deal than one year, I mean anyone saying different than that is full of crap.

40. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    You guys are so high strung right now lol. If Wade had a 43 year old son that would be a pretty nifty trick lol. You really don't think a guy like Mark Cuban wouldn't have given Wade a big deal?