The Official 2015 MLB Thread

1753 replies

finyank13finyank13New Member
Jul 10, 2015, 09:39 AM

When you laugh and hang up the phone.....

The Phillies will probably want a package of prospects headed by either pitching prospect Luis Severino or outfield prospect Aaron Judge. Add in one of Greg Bird or Gary Sanchez and the Phillies rebuild could be well under way. Severino could join pitching prospect Aaron Nola to form a solid 1-2 in the Phillies rotation for the next six seasons, and Bird could be the Phillies long term replacement for Ryan Howard. Or, Sanchez could be Carlos Ruiz's replacement at catcher. Toss in outfield prospect Mason Williams or a lower level prospect and you have enough prospects to offer McPhail in return for Hamels.

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Jul 10, 2015, 11:20 AM

"finyank13 wrote:

When you laugh and hang up the phone.....

Judge and/or Severino is probably too much for Hamels but Sanchez, Williams and Bird shouldn't be off limits.

finyank13finyank13New Member
Jul 10, 2015, 11:34 AM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

Judge and/or Severino is probably too much for Hamels but Sanchez, Williams and Bird shouldn't be off limits.

And? No way.....At this point Judge and LS are off limits.....Bird is still young I like him and would try to keep him...

Everybody else is in play...that's being said it isn't enough to get Hamels, nor do I think he is warranted that package.....Only leverage teams have is the contract....

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Jul 10, 2015, 12:17 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

And? No way.....At this point Judge and LS are off limits.....Bird is still young I like him and would try to keep him...

Everybody else is in play...that's being said it isn't enough to get Hamels, nor do I think he is warranted that package.....Only leverage teams have is the contract....

Exactly. Tell the Phillies you'll take on his whole contract and they can get a few C level prospects. On the flip side, the Phillies could say we will pay X amount from the Hamels contract but we want a B level prospect.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jul 10, 2015, 12:48 PM

The Phillies are insane. They're asking double what they should be getting in trade offers. Let them hang onto what they have and fall deeper down the hole. As a Cubs fan, I'm not at all interesting in giving them any of our prospects who've been in a MLB game. If they want Castro (they don't) then I'm willing to listen.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Jul 12, 2015, 05:12 PM

Was watching the futures game and wow Aaron Judge is huge.. he doesn't see the plate well though... but he's as big as Stanton. Yankees got to develop that kid's swing though..

finyank13finyank13New Member
Jul 13, 2015, 08:43 AM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Was watching the futures game and wow Aaron Judge is huge.. he doesn't see the plate well though... but he's as big as Stanton. Yankees got to develop that kid's swing though..

Bigger than Stanton it is crazy...

He will be fine....

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Jul 13, 2015, 08:53 AM

Speaking of the futures game...Michael Conforto. Finally a hitter. He could come up now and be the best hitter in the Mets lineup with Wright out. That is all. :drool:

Can't get Cuddyer to the bench soon enough.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jul 13, 2015, 08:55 AM

I haven't watched the HR derby in a LONG time, but with two Cubs participating in it, I just might. Especially with the new format potentially speeding things up.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Jul 13, 2015, 08:55 AM

And no, NY should not trade Judge or Severino for Hamels. They shouldn't trade anyone good to the Phillies. No one should. I love seeing the Phillies in last.

finyank13finyank13New Member
Jul 13, 2015, 09:52 AM

So I feel like this is growing and more recent trend, maybe just at Fenway because of how close you are to the fans but how would people feel about the nets being extended past the dugouts?

You think any of this has anything to do with people constantly being devices and not paying attention?

https://gma.yahoo.com/everything-got-quiet-woman-struck-baseball-fenway-130001085--abc-news-topstories.html#

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jul 13, 2015, 10:32 AM

What happened to that woman at Fenway was horrific, but also a rare fluke. I don't think that extending the nets is a good or necessary idea.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Jul 13, 2015, 10:38 AM

"finyank13 wrote:

So I feel like this is growing and more recent trend, maybe just at Fenway because of how close you are to the fans but how would people feel about the nets being extended past the dugouts?

You think any of this has anything to do with people constantly being devices and not paying attention?

https://gma.yahoo.com/everything-got-quiet-woman-struck-baseball-fenway-130001085--abc-news-topstories.html#

Yeah it's one of those things where if they don't do anything people will complain and if they do people will complain. Looks wise it would stink and it would kind of take away that close feel and interaction with players (for example sometimes after a Sox player hits a home run they will high five some of the people in the front row, also before games with people asking for autographs etc).

I don't think it's because people are constantly on their phones and not paying attention, I mean sometimes you just can't avoid an object going into the stands.

But yeah Fenway is definitely different because you are so close to the playing field. I remember sitting on the 3rd base side and being scared out of my mind when guys like Sheffield and Guerrero were up because if they pulled a ball foul there's probably no way you can avoid getting killed with a line drive off their bats.

But yeah what happened with that woman was probably just a fluke thing.

finyank13finyank13New Member
Jul 13, 2015, 10:40 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

What happened to that woman at Fenway was horrific, but also a rare fluke. I don't think that extending the nets is a good or necessary idea.

There was also incident there a few weeks ago where a broken bat whacked a lady and she was seriously injured.....was in the hospital for several days...

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

finyank13finyank13New Member
Jul 13, 2015, 10:52 AM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

Yeah it's one of those things where if they don't do anything people will complain and if they do people will complain. Looks wise it would stink and it would kind of take away that close feel and interaction with players (for example sometimes after a Sox player hits a home run they will high five some of the people in the front row, also before games with people asking for autographs etc).

I don't think it's because people are constantly on their phones and not paying attention, I mean sometimes you just can't avoid an object going into the stands.

But yeah Fenway is definitely different because you are so close to the playing field. I remember sitting on the 3rd base side and being scared out of my mind when guys like Sheffield and Guerrero were up because if they pulled a ball foul there's probably no way you can avoid getting killed with a line drive off their bats.

But yeah what happened with that woman was probably just a fluke thing.

A-Rod his been giving his batting gloves to a kid in the first row after HR's lately.....as you saw 2X this weekend Fink!!!!!!

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Jul 13, 2015, 11:11 AM

Picking Donaldson to win todays HR Derby.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Jul 13, 2015, 11:12 AM

"finyank13 wrote:

A-Rod his been giving his batting gloves to a kid in the first row after HR's lately.....as you saw 2X this weekend Fink!!!!!!

By the grace of God, I actually didn't see either of his HRs but again good example of a player making a connection with a young fan at the ball park. Much harder to do if there's a net between them.

finyank13finyank13New Member
Jul 14, 2015, 08:34 AM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Picking Donaldson to win todays HR Derby.

I did that MLB contest where you pick it....I had Joc over Fraizer. dahoooooooo!!!

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

finyank13finyank13New Member
Jul 14, 2015, 12:18 PM

Hot Stove is starting to heat up....

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have had internal discussions about whether they should consider trading Chris Davis.
So far, this answer is no, especially with the team so close to a playoff spot. Things could change if they fall out of the race in the coming days. Davis, an impending free agent, is batting .235/.318/.469 with 19 home runs and 52 RBI over 86 games this season.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Astros, Blue Jays, and Royals have been "most aggressive" in pursuit of a trade for Reds right-hander Johnny Cueto.
All three teams have obvious needs for a rotation upgrade. Cueto is due to become a free agent after the season, but the asking price figures to be high. The 29-year-old owns a 2.73 ERA and 113/22 K/BB ratio in 118 2/3 innings over 17 starts this season. He's owed about $5 million the rest of the way, so he's not going to break the bank.

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Jul 14, 2015, 12:55 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

Hot Stove is starting to heat up....

Finally. Can't wait to see the Red Sox trade Napoli and Victorino for Bryce Harper. Also a Craig Breslow, Daniel Nava, Allen Craig and money for Sonny Grey. See this GM thing is easy.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Jul 14, 2015, 01:04 PM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

By the grace of God, I actually didn't see either of his HRs but again good example of a player making a connection with a young fan at the ball park. Much harder to do if there's a net between them.

Unfortunately i think the net is definitely coming. It is inevitable, the back of the ticket clearly shows the risks involved and that MLB is not liable but fans rather be concerned with their selfies/twitter machine than paying attention to the game. For that reason MLB cant continue like this, these fans are so obsessed with their twitter and basically go to the game with A.D.D. because of it.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Jul 14, 2015, 01:17 PM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Unfortunately i think the net is definitely coming. It is inevitable, the back of the ticket clearly shows the risks involved and that MLB is not liable but fans rather be concerned with their selfies/twitter machine than paying attention to the game. For that reason MLB cant continue like this, these fans are so obsessed with their twitter and basically go to the game with A.D.D. because of it.

Agreed.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jul 14, 2015, 01:44 PM

I can't imagine trying to watch a game through a net. I would think it would be really invasive. I've seen a number of MLB games down the 1st or 3rd base lines, and I can't understand how the view would not be negatively impacted.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Jul 14, 2015, 01:48 PM

Could be worse, they could install impact glass like a hockey game foul pole to foul pole.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Jul 14, 2015, 02:03 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I can't imagine trying to watch a game through a net. I would think it would be really invasive. I've seen a number of MLB games down the 1st or 3rd base lines, and I can't understand how the view would not be negatively impacted.

Ever watch a game behind home plate? Honestly you'd forget about the net in no time, it really doesn't take away from watching the game. Like I said in a previous post, the only negatives is it prevents some player/fan interaction before/during/after games and players wouldn't be able to drive into the stands to try and catch a foul ball anymore, also the MLB would probably have to make a ruling on if a thrown ball hits the net if they award a runner two bases or whatever. It would look weird/different for awhile until everyone got use to it. With that being said I really don't think that MLB will end up putting nets down that far though.